The *official* DooM³ system requirements/question(s) thread

For discussing anything in the Doom universe.
mnjhawk

Should I upgrade? Would it be worth it?

Post by mnjhawk » Sun Oct 16, 2005 22:50

I am totally new to the gaming scene, so I don't know anything about system requirements. I just got Doom 3, and it only runs well in 640x480, at the lowest fps rate. Here's my machine:

dell inspiron 600m notebook
1.6 GHz Intel Centrino
512 MB 333MHz ddr sdram
80 GB hard drive
64 MB video card
high definition screen (uvxga or sxga+ or something. Whichever is the better of the two.)

Would it be worth it to get another 512 MB or 1 Gig of RAM? Would that drastically improve my gaming experience, or am I pretty much screwed with the rest of my specs?

Is it even possible for me to get a new video card for this thing? Would that be a better option?

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Re: Should I upgrade? Would it be worth it?

Post by Wester547 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 23:13

mnjhawk wrote:I am totally new to the gaming scene, so I don't know anything about system requirements. I just got Doom 3, and it only runs well in 640x480, at the lowest fps rate. Here's my machine:

dell inspiron 600m notebook
1.6 GHz Intel Centrino
512 MB 333MHz ddr sdram
80 GB hard drive
64 MB video card
high definition screen (uvxga or sxga+ or something. Whichever is the better of the two.)

Would it be worth it to get another 512 MB or 1 Gig of RAM? Would that drastically improve my gaming experience, or am I pretty much screwed with the rest of my specs?

Is it even possible for me to get a new video card for this thing? Would that be a better option?
Upgrade that CPU, what type of video card is it, what kind of VRAM (type, clock speed frequency, memory bandwith, timings, voltages, and so forth and so on...) what's the company, what graphics card is it in particular? IE ATi's 64MB DDR Radeon 9000 Pro, nVidia's 64MB DDR GeForce 4 Ti 4200 graphics card. Something that is 100% OpenGL 1.4+ compatible with DOT3 normal mapping rendeing and stencil shadow volume support, plus support for the GL_ARB rendering path at the very least. I highly recommend swapping out that graphics chip and replacing it with something better if possible, it sounds like it's some Intel Integrated 64MB SDR extreme graphics chip if you want to run at resolutions such as 1024x768 or higher with medium-high texture quality mode and most of the advanced options enabled, which quite frankly sucks for DOOM 3.

HD screen? Well it's something like an 19"-22"+ UVXGA, SXVGA TFT/LCD monitor raw module supporting up to a refresh rate of 60 Hz and a native resolution of 1280x1024, plus 3 video inputs (including DVI) with 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen support, correct?

Otherwise, granted that notebooks/laptops use deviated, unofficial drivers in order for graphics/sound card chip operation, (depending on the manufacture brand of the actual laptop, IE purchase a Dell Inspiron XPS and the graphics card or whatever drivers will be supplied by Dell themselves, powering your graphics chip, in the case of your what, E.X, Mobility 256MB G-DDR 3 ATi Radeon X800, nVidia 256MB G-DDR 3 GeForce 7800 GTX go graphics chip(s)?) you'll be fine at 1024x768+ at medium texture quality level with stencil shadow volumes, specular highlights, bump maps enabled, with special effects such as "heat haze" disabled, etc.

lolername

Re: The *official* DooM³ system requirements/question(s) thread

Post by lolername » Sun Sep 09, 2007 03:16

I used to have windows xp and when i ran Doom3 on it, i got smooth gameplay on the high setting with all the special effects on. I recently upgraded (or downgraded) to Vista, and now no matter what i do, i cant get the settings to change how the game looks. No matter how many times I change it to high and turn everything on, when i run it, it *looks* like its set to the the low setting with everything turned off. What can i do?

Chapstick
Baron of Hell

Post by Chapstick » Mon Sep 10, 2007 17:48

Try running the game as Administrator?

Right-click on the Doom 3 icon/shortcut and select Run as Administrator. If might give you a warning. Just click Yes or Continue or whatever. That might fix it.
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Post by Paul » Tue Sep 11, 2007 16:23

Yup, Doom stores its setting in the Program Files directory. :rolleyes:

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 18:03

This has got to be the oldest thread on this site, I never thought I'd see it again.

I'd have to agree with Chappy. But instead of doing what he said, make sure YOU'RE an administrator. This will just make things much easier for you.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

itsmedan
Baron of Hell

Post by itsmedan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 05:04

how come ive never seen this administrator option before? do i have to be a guest or something?
Put the gun
In my mouth
Close your eyes
Blow my fucking brains out
Pretty patterns
On the floor

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Fri Sep 14, 2007 06:37

In Vista? No, it's the same for all users. Programs run with normal privileges even if you're an administrator.

Ben1003

Post by Ben1003 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 04:43

Hey all, started playing Doom 3 and getting into modern gaming a bit late(I built a system Dec. 2002 and stopped caring for awhile). Got the game early last year, didn't touch it much. As I'm building a new computer that will handle doom 3 fine and most likely the new id Tech 5, I'm not so concerned about having a computer good enough for doom 3.

However, until I get that done I'm kind of banging my head against the wall on this syetem I've had running for 5 years. I just replaced the motherboard(cause I fried the old one--blown caps) with one of the most recent Socket A AMD boards still on the market today. I also picked up 1gb PC3200 ram and put in a Radeon x1050 256mb. This was to replace 512mb PC2100 and a Radeon 9000. My problem is, all things considered Doom 3 dang near plays at the same rate of speed. All the drivers have been installed and I've used various analyzing software to make sure everything was running right numbers wise(maybe my BIOS settings were screwed up or something). Now, I have noticed a speed increase across all markets, but it seems like there is a bottleneck somewhere. New motherboard, that's better than the A7N8X I was using, much better video card, and double the RAM even operating at a faster speed. What, a 10% increase?

Is it the CPU? If so, I'm thinking about maxing out this socket A, and putting in yet another gig of 3200 before I let it set until I get done building my new one. I hope a 3200+ will run Doom good with 2gb of ram and a 256mb Radeon!?!?

When I pick the DVI-HDMI cable up next week I'm anxious to see Doom 3 finally smooth and at high res on this 42" Plasma. :)

Specs:
Windows XP Service Pack 2, 17 processes running
AMD 2000+ 1.67ghz
1gb PC 3200
Radeon x1050 256mb RAM

Medium detail is definite low frame rates. Low detail, 640x480, with only bump mapping on still gets jittery during battle or wide open areas(say like right when you enter the underground junction during level 2). Seems off.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 21:51

That's fucking weird dude, I could play the game in high with decent framerates when it came out like 3 years ago. That was with a 9600 and 512 of ram.

It sounds like a funky driver problem or a strange game problem. Does it do this with any other games?

Try the omega drivers if the newest ATI ones suck too much, also try truning up the graphics. In certain games on random occasions, lowering the graphics too much actually harmed my framerate for some reason. Though that was pretty rare.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

samuelmonaghan_aussie
Spider Mastermind

Post by samuelmonaghan_aussie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 07:05

k well i usually play games on my grandpa's machine, but mines pretyy bad compared to his

6800gt Nvidia i think
2gb ram
2.4 AMD processor
27 proccesses running (AGHHH) 2% CPU usage
and 19" widescreen Viewsonic
Mr Smith wrote:Can we still say cunt even if Chill is still here?