About system requirements [read or suffer]

For discussing anything in the Doom universe.
Locked
Tamarocker88
Demonic Monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:15

Post by Tamarocker88 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:34

cuz I just built that new pc. I upgraded from a 1.8 ghz celeron processor, an integrated video card. I have the same amount of mem. I'm on that pc now, and I can play BF1942 at medium settings, not a problem. and that's with an integrated "intel 3d extreme graphics" chip, which I know is total crap.

Wester547
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 7358
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 23:47
Location: USA.

Post by Wester547 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:35

Tamarocker88 wrote:what part of my hardware is holding me back the most??
Your processor and video card. 1GB of RAM or more is preferable for DOOM3 though. You also might wanna get a pair of RAID 0 ARRAY 16k RPM 74GBs HDDs for faster loading times(hella expensive tho) or ATA 150 400GB HDDs(even more expensive, equal, or a bit less) for optimal storage....although two 40GBs are surely more than enough. :wink:

Tamarocker88
Demonic Monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:15

Post by Tamarocker88 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:36

I actually havent bought that graphics card yet. I want to though. I found an albatron 256 mb ddr 128 bit geforce fx5700. it's only 139.99 at newegg.com. I dont have the money to go to an fx5900 and spend another 70.00 what were you thinking of having me upgrade to?

yeah....I'm not looking to upgrade my hard drives. I'm at the end of my budget, considering I've spent quite a bit building this new pc. how much of a quality difference do u think there will be be between my old pc and the new one?

Wester547
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 7358
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 23:47
Location: USA.

Post by Wester547 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:49

The FX 5700 is one of NVIDIA's best budget gfx cards around, but the GeForce 6800(non-ultra) for 200$ sounds like a huge improvement, if you have a 480Watt PSU, two power supply feeds, and a PCI slot open next to your AGP slot so you can make room for the 6800...yes its a power hungry beast...the FX 5700 Ultra is a nice budget card from nVidia...but you could wait for the lower 6xxx series...(I'm assuming they'd be called something like 6300, 6500, etc). Hmm, what would be your "New PC's" system specs?

Tamarocker88
Demonic Monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:15

Post by Tamarocker88 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:00

the new pc is the one that I first described.

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz cpu
*havent bought graphics card yet*
768 mb ram
msi 848p neo-v mobo

I upgraded from an eMachines pc with...

intel celeron 1.8 gnz cpu
integrated video chip
384 mb ram

Everything I've bought so far, including paying for computer shop labor, to figure out that the motherboard was defective, totals about 500.00 including a 150.00 gpu

Wester547
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 7358
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 23:47
Location: USA.

Post by Wester547 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:23

Tamarocker88 wrote:the new pc is the one that I first described.

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz cpu
*havent bought graphics card yet*
768 mb ram
msi 848p neo-v mobo

I upgraded from an eMachines pc with...

intel celeron 1.8 gnz cpu
integrated video chip
384 mb ram

Everything I've bought so far, including paying for computer shop labor, to figure out that the motherboard was defective, totals about 500.00 including a 150.00 gpu
Oh, I thought you meant the old PC was the 2.4 GHz one. Well in that case the difference between your old and new PC when playing DOOM 3 will be beyond exponential considering integrated video hardware is not supported by DOOM 3, DX 7 / OGL 1.2 GeForce 1 / Radeon 7xxx level of hardware is minimum.

Tamarocker88
Demonic Monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:15

Post by Tamarocker88 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:25

also, I dont want to wait or a lower 6xxx series. first off, cuz i dont have a gpu rite now, also because I'm not looking to spend 200.00 on a graphics card. I'm only 16. i dont have a job, I'm not made of money here, lol.

so you're saying that the difference between the old and new pc will be huge?? I mean, not only in DOOM 3, but generally.

Wester547
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 7358
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 23:47
Location: USA.

Post by Wester547 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:30

Tamarocker88 wrote:so you're saying that the difference between the old and new pc will be huge?? I mean, not only in DOOM 3, but generally.
Yes.
Tamarocker88 wrote:also, I dont want to wait or a lower 6xxx series. first off, cuz i dont have a gpu rite now, also because I'm not looking to spend 200.00 on a graphics card. I'm only 16. i dont have a job, I'm not made of money here, lol.
I understand. With balanced settings and updated drivers, your PC should run DOOM 3 fine.

Tamarocker88
Demonic Monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:15

Post by Tamarocker88 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:35

thank you for all of your help. and by fine, do u mean smooth and competitive?? :-D

Wester547
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 7358
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 23:47
Location: USA.

Post by Wester547 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:37

Tamarocker88 wrote:thank you for all of your help. and by fine, do u mean smooth and competitive?? :-D
Good at least at medium settings and updated drivers.

Tamarocker88
Demonic Monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:15

Post by Tamarocker88 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:47

do you think there's a slight possibility that I'll be able to play it at high?

Wester547
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 7358
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 23:47
Location: USA.

Post by Wester547 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:52

Tamarocker88 wrote:do you think there's a slight possibility that I'll be able to play it at high?
Yeah, at the sacrifise of performance. :wink:

Tamarocker88
Demonic Monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:15

Post by Tamarocker88 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 23:05

hey.....considering the graphics I'm used to , having an integrated chip & all.....how close are the graphics I'll get with the fx5700 going to be, compared to the doom3 screenshots??

User avatar
Paul
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 8675
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 18:53
Location: Aldershot, UK, EU
Contact:

Post by Paul » Sat Jul 10, 2004 23:06

They'll be almost identical.

Wester547
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 7358
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 23:47
Location: USA.

Post by Wester547 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 23:07

Tamarocker88 wrote:hey.....considering the graphics I'm used to , having an integrated chip & all.....how close are the graphics I'll get with the fx5700 going to be, compared to the doom3 screenshots??
something like that with a less than good frame-rate. ;)

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests