You Review Doom 3

For discussing anything in the Doom universe.
MISTOdodo
Revenant

Post by MISTOdodo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:03

you can always take all the installed folders and compress them, thats what i do for my buddies sometimes...that always works...copywright protected or not...but only if its a no cd game, and if not, i get a no cd crack
MISTOdodo's CS:S stats on HLP server
Wester547 wrote:And @ Psuedo Faedo, beguile and dolt are seldomly aberrant words in today's English vernacular.

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:11

Good idea, I also though 'bout it. Too bad all my friends hate such games, they rather play Need for Speed, FIFA etc. They're very bad in english, and afraid of big, evil demons :) I live in a small village, and has very few friends, and I have no friend who obtains games legally :)

In fact, Doom 3 never asks for CD after I install it. This strange event also occurred at Quake 3 Arena and Half-life 1. I had a system crash, and when I repaired my computer, these games somehow started to work without CD. Weird :o
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er...never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS

MISTOdodo
Revenant

Post by MISTOdodo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:14

i never needed cd for quake 3 and half life 1, doom 3 i just got a no cd crack...i like no cd cracks because they let me not use the disks, that way they stay in mint condition longer....for instance...all my quake games are in mint condition
Wester547 wrote:And @ Psuedo Faedo, beguile and dolt are seldomly aberrant words in today's English vernacular.

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:17

Yeah! This is true!
One more advantage: The game is faster, since the computer doesn't have to spin the CD if it's looking for the current data. I had this problem at other games, and it was annoying, the game started to freeze etc.
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
TRANSMISSION ENDS

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 16:56

Reactor wrote:Yeah, I know...I'll just wait until the games become so cheap here, I can purchase them.

I never play multiplayer, all I need is the storyline "campaign" mission. If I want to play rampage online, I have Quake 3 Arena. It's good! :D
Well the advantage also revolves around how fast an optical disc drive could read and write/store data at up to 7.2MB/sec, with only a 256KB cache buffer, considering that would be just around compared to a 8MB cache 7200RPM ATA-150 IDE what, 80, 120GB+ HDD? That's a huge difference there, and the fact that your hard disk drive's platters are always active and spinning.

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Fri Sep 02, 2005 17:38

I have two 60 GB Samsung hard disks, but only ONE is active among them. The second hard drive is an Emergency override system, which I use for storing extremely important data in case of system breakdown or virus attack. My hard disks work excellent, the game lags only very rare occassions. If I spawn 50 Maggot demons, the game shall lag, but I think this is not the hard drive's fault :D
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
TRANSMISSION ENDS

Founder
Hell Knight

Post by Founder » Sun Sep 18, 2005 04:55

Alright let's see here.

Remember this is MY opinion, if you disagree, write your own review!

GAMEPLAY
Ahh Doom one of the greatest series ever, gave you some chills back when you played it in the olden days of the early 90's on your DOS laptop. Well, it brings back the same things, but delivers differently. In the old Doom's you would be Mowing down massive ammounts of enemies at a time with your trusty chaingun(I'm going on a bit of a limb), well the chain gun's still here....Now you won't really find the enemy amounts on the same spectrum as they used to be. I think the most enemies I found myself fighting at one time was eight, it was probably some of those floating heads. The same kill-everything-that-moves-makes-funny-growling-noises-and-has-glowing-red-demonic-eyes is always fun premises is there, and it sure is true! If you like FPS games this game a far stray from the two big H games (Halo and Half-life) but is still really fun.

Gameplay: 8/10

GRAPHICS

Pristine on the PC if your running a good clean high end/spec system...and beautiful on the Xbox either way you can't go wrong. I preferred the Xbox since I don't have the greatest computer. But no graphics can be perfect.

GRAPHICS: 9 and a half/10

MULTIPLAYER

Multiplayer is ok only four players max on XBL and on the PC...not much to complain about and not much to rae about. It would be better with outdoor environments, snipers, and more players. I don't find myself craing Doom multiplayer, but it's a great addition for replayability in an otherwise un-replayable game (if you beat it on all difficulties).

MULTIPLAYER: 6/10

CAMPAIGN

Doom 3 actually has a noticeable storyline. It's not much of a story, it's pretty much the same as the others, but oh well. Eerything that could go in here is mostly gameplay based so I shant repeat myself. Other than that THERE NEED TO BE OUTDOOR ENVIRONMENTS!

CAMPAIGN: 8/10

OVERALL

Overall Doom 3 is a great game, and lives up to the greatness I expected. If your an Avid gamer, love doom, love FPS games, or all of the above I reccomend this game to you. Don't buy this game and expect to be scared out of your wits though. I think I jumped once when some guy came out of a stairwell or something. The only things this game is lacking are:

|Outdoor environments

|8-16 player multiplayer (which would be very hard so you can't complain)

|Lots of enemies at once, I mean like at least 12+!

OVERALL: 8 and a half/10

[may be updated later]
GTFO MY THREAD GORDON

MISTOdodo
Revenant

Post by MISTOdodo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:53

Founder wrote: - In the old Doom's you would be Mowing down massive ammounts of enemies at a time with your trusty chaingun(I'm going on a bit of a limb), well the chain gun's still here....Now you won't really find the enemy amounts on the same spectrum as they used to be. I think the most enemies I found myself fighting at one time was eight, it was probably some of those floating heads.

-Lots of enemies at once, I mean like at least 12+!
The reason that That the origional doom games had massive amounts of enemies was becuase back then there was limited technology to work with, AI was simple, no freelook aiming, or the ability for the enemies to pop out of irregular spaces...

The only way that they were able to make games difficult back then were:

a)Shitloads of enemies
b)Make the levels freaking mazes (hey, look at wolfenstein)

Don't get me wrong, I love every ID software game i've ever touched, but im just saying that the game wouldnt have been difficult if they didn't make massive amounts of enemies, but in doom 3, since the enemies are smarter, and move more slickly and have stronger attacks, they put less enemies into doom 3

PS: Founder, if you are looking for a good recent game with massive amounts of enemies, try out the PC game painkiller! (a nice soundtrack too i might say).

Founder
Hell Knight

Post by Founder » Sun Sep 18, 2005 14:01

Don't forget Serious Sam.
GTFO MY THREAD GORDON

pantera
Demonic Monkey

Post by pantera » Sat Jun 10, 2006 13:03

I havent finished the game yet. Fact is the game is good but after some missions it feels the same nothing new. sometimes a new monster come and you have to deal with him awhile. But serious it feeled little to same to keep up my motivation to contuine play it. Q4 is lightyears better on singleplayer then doom3 was on almost every point.