You Review Doom 3

For discussing anything in the Doom universe.
Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 00:06

Spineless-mush wrote:Holy shit dude! :shock:
What? :roll:

Spineless-mush
Arachnotron

Post by Spineless-mush » Sat Aug 14, 2004 00:11

Some one who loves 3D FPS wrote:
Spineless-mush wrote:Holy shit dude! :shock:
What? :roll:
Yeah, can we get an abridged version?

Two reasons:

1.) In terms of length and grammar, that thing is waaaaay out of requirements.

2.) I actually have to sit and proofread all these reviews.

If you could cut it in half, that'd be great. Leave all the details for me ;)
--Mush 8)
Vote Mush for President

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 00:12

Spineless-mush wrote:Yeah, can we get an abridged version?

Two reasons:

1.) In terms of length and grammar, that thing is waaaaay out of requirements.

2.) I actually have to sit and proofread all these reviews.

If you could cut it in half, that'd be great. Leave all the details for me ;)
Out of requirements as it doesn't meet it? It's probably too long length wise.

Yeah I'll just have to sort that out great.

Spineless-mush
Arachnotron

Post by Spineless-mush » Sat Aug 14, 2004 17:40

I'm submitting today, so last call people.

Wester, if you want your thing in there...
--Mush 8)
Vote Mush for President

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 17:48

OK if I want it in there all I have to do is cut the review in half in a summary right?

Spineless-mush
Arachnotron

Post by Spineless-mush » Sat Aug 14, 2004 17:50

Some one who loves 3D FPS wrote:OK if I want it in there all I have to do is cut the review in half in a summary right?
Just shorten it up so it comes out to at least half the length of what it's now.

Give your opinion on gameplay/graphics/whatever and explain why, but don't get too carried away with details. That's my job ;)
--Mush 8)
Vote Mush for President

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 18:15

Okay, is this better:

My Doom3 Review

Gameplay:
DOOM 3 is not the 90 mile hour running blow up everything you can fast paced throwing enemies at you at every second frag fest, oh nooo, it's quite different, not to spoil anything.

DOOM3 without doubt is a slow paced game, but it's not as slow as Splinter Cell, and id Software have gotten very clever here and there.

In certain points of the game DOOM 3 is scary, and in other times it's just astonishing and fun to play.
Game-Play Rating: 8.8

Storyline:

I'm not going to spoil anything here. But DOOM 3's storyline is a decent one, there's a reasonable beginning, middle, ending, plot twists, etc all connected together as a fluid stream of dots in a sense. However, I was not as immersed as I was hoping to be storyline wise, so I can't say it's a strong area of the game.

Storyline rating: 5.0

Graphics:

Graphics...an area where DOOM3 was hailed "Pixar Quality, Cinematic Quality, Film Quality" judging from the E3 ane QuakeCon presetentations, etc...well look no further, because it's here and hungry.

Every bit of stencil volumes(for dynamic shadows), per-pixel lighting(for dynamic lighting), normal maps(for irregularities on surfaces), specular highlights(for shiny surfaces), 2D cube maps(for real-time reflections), high precision(for heat shimmer effects), and volumetric particle effects(for cool explosions etc).

All in all, DOOM 3's graphics are a very sweet OpenGL powered galore to be treated with.
Graphics rating: 9.0

Physics:

This is an area where DOOM 3 is fantastic and fun to mess around with, DOOM 3's per-polygon detection system removes hitboxes from the skeletal model so it's much more realistic in combat.

That combined with full ragdoll physics model support completely based on the laws of friction, mass, bouyancy, and gravity.

However this ragdoll model is not automatically placed in every area of the game as DOOM 3 is not a physics simulation, but in general DOOM 3's physics engine is one like no other and completely original.

Physics rating: 9.5

A.I:

Well with zombies abound, A.I is not a very strong area in DOOM 3, nor is it supposed to be. However the demons's pathfinding scripts and general A.I scripts are nicely written so A.I is by no doubt a faulty area of DOOM 3.

A.I rating: 8.1

Performance:

This is where everyone was worried of - the question - "Will DOOM3 run on MY system?"

However DOOM 3 will run well on your system, as it's been optimized to run on a wide range of hardware.

From a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 w/384MB of RAM and a 64MB GeForce 4 MX to a 3.6 GHz Pentium w/2GBs of RAM and a 256MB GeForce 6800 Ultra.

Even on my machine, which is a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 w/512MB of RAM and a 128MB Radeon 9500 Pro, it runs pretty smooth in general.

So no worries.

Performance rating: 8.8

Multiplayer:

DOOM 3's multiplayer is unfortunately capped at 4 players max, but there are reasons for that.

1) More than 4 players would kill the tension and 2) More than 4 players would kill performance.

It would be nicer of multiplayer had a more variety of game types, player selection etc, but hey, it's DOOM, and it's a step up from Quake 3 Arena multiplayer.

Multiplayer rating: 7.4.

Editor:

Well as I haven't messed with the editor really yet, I couldn't rate it, but it would be nice if it was a heavily modified version of the GTK Radiant Editor instead of the QE Radiant Editor.

Editor rating: 6.2

Audio:

Audio wise, DOOM 3 is very nice, with full surround sound support, nicely done sound effects,
and high fidelity sound mixing and sound shader programming, and is by no means disapointing, however a little EAX would have enabled a stronger 3D audio engine.
Audio rating: 8.5

Fear Factor:

Extremely well established in places, and non-extistant in others. But by no means disapointing.

Fear Factor Rating: 9.4

Fun Factor:

DOOM 3 might be scary, laggy, and suffer choppy frame-rates at times, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. It's not only the engine technology that makes it fun, but it's the fact that DOOM 3 is here in a modern style sense with some hefty extra features and etc IMO that makes DOOM 3 fun.

Fun Factor Rating: 8.9

Final words:

It's here, it's DOOM, and it's here to stay, whether you like it or hate it. DOOM 3 is, IMHO, worthy of being called DOOM within the series. Well done id Software, indeed very well done.

Final rating: 9.1.

Tony
Arch-Vile

Post by Tony » Sun Aug 15, 2004 03:28

Sound:10
Graphics:10
Gameplay:10
Replay:10

you get the idea
im no professional critic

i just think that this is the best game i own AND WILL ever own

Seijuurou
Pain Elemental

Post by Seijuurou » Sun Aug 15, 2004 08:31

Damn dude, the game isn't THAT great lol. I myself live for multiplayer and really find it lacking in that department. I can't wait for some mods. Anyways, the single player is deffinitely the best I have ever played.

Tony
Arch-Vile

Post by Tony » Fri Aug 27, 2004 14:20

Damn Skippy Didaly DoooDAAA Dingdong Yes

Ned Flanders

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 14:55

Tony123 wrote:Damn Skippy Didaly DoooDAAA Dingdong Yes

Ned Flanders
Are you enjoying spamming like this? Especially on dead threads?

BBA
Demonic Monkey

Re: review

Post by BBA » Sat Aug 28, 2004 01:10

SparnY wrote:Right then. My review is as follows, its harsh but to the point!
Not out of 10 because nothing to rate it against :shock:

Fear Factor - low
Review - quake 3 made me jump more, face it this is not as its been said to be, not one part I do not lie, not one single part made me jump in this game whilst playing in the dark with 5.1.

So...you must have missed the mirror scene in the bathroom of one of first two levels. And you sound system must suck, because I noticed with the sound way low, I didnt get very much excitement from it...but with the volume decent...it rocked, but only in 5.1 mode since it didnt detect the 7.1 or 6.1 speakers as surround capable.

Spineless-mush
Arachnotron

Post by Spineless-mush » Sun Aug 29, 2004 18:18

This thread isn't dead... it's sticky. I wish people would post their opinions about the game here rather than starting 2000 threads per day bitching/praising the game.
--Mush 8)
Vote Mush for President

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Oct 26, 2004 16:57

OK, sorry- I'm new, however I feel obliged to post my review of D3... :)

Note: I must confess, that I relied heavy on comparing D3 with old stuff, which I love to play...

First Impressions:
Maybe I'm getting old, but these weren't very good.
Not because I felt it was bad, in contrary- it was a visual firework, however- it felt a little monotonous, predictible, wearisome... Now I'm in Delta Labs, sector 2 (b), and that feeling slowly wears off, because there are many more interesting monsters popping in and out. The only thing still bugging me a lot, is that traps are not as ingeneous as in old Doom.

Requirements:
Here's a surprise: I'm running a pretty much "mutant machine", because it's Celeron 333A, with 384MB RAM, and GF FX 5200/128/128 (specs will change to hi-perf. machine next month), and- despite I usually get no more than 5-8 fps, the game is actually playable, and stalls only when there are several objects (imps for example), moving around. When there' are little objects, I can go as far as 30 ftp too.

Oh, and I'm playing on linux, congratulations to idSoftware people for releasing the engine just week after premiere (I don't even have Windows)!

The Game:
I would score it as good: that means it's not very good, and it's not excellent. Here's why:
- Chain of events: there's very little "free will" of player, you can, of course collect PDAs, open security lockers, hatches and doors, however what I really dislike about D3 is that you cannot actually make a dramatic tunaround of the game, for example like a secret level. You are only allowed to follow the "preprogrammed" development of story, which maybe is great, but sometimes very obvious and predictible (think: Communication with UAC fleet, for example). You can even kill several workers, and except for "what's going on down there", this means nothing to the game...
- It's a great show, "a cinematic experience", but because of all the flash, something of the "gameplay" is missing. Somehow D3 turns like merger of Half Life and Quake2, I'm not sure if it gained the best parts of them. Maybe I've just became bored since n-th (stopped counting on 20th) Imp spawned behind me- could be...
- Stating once more: I miss secrets- ok so there maybe are some areas which could match the definition of secrets, however there are too little of them, and some are simply too obvious...
- Fear factor: according to Carmacs, this game should scare me- it doesn't, however I do admit, my pulse rises sometimes, but because of issue one, it doesn't rise enough!

Bugs?
- I think I found one, when a monster attacks, for the first 30ms of attack it is invunerable (I checked few dozen times)! 30ms it's actually my reaction time, so I know for sure.
- Not really a bug, but in such visually advanced game it is sort of: collateral damage, and I guess many people stated that before me: You've got pipes breaking, dors squished my demons, tiles popping up, grids falling down... but when you use a grenade, there's not even a scratch on surfaces which pay no role in the game.

Rambo

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 22:07

Well all the points you made were valid except for the point about different paths (i.e. more interactivity). No fps (not even the Deus Ex series or games like it) has ever been able to do something liek that and make it really fun. SS2 was close but not quite there. id said it would be a re-make of the original Doom. That is exactly what it was. Anybody that was expecting anything more should've known better.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate