You Review Doom 3

For discussing anything in the Doom universe.
Spineless-mush
Arachnotron

Post by Spineless-mush » Tue Oct 26, 2004 22:30

ItsMeOnly wrote:The only thing still bugging me a lot, is that traps are not as ingeneous as in old Doom.
Actually, I think that's one of the problems: Doom 3's traps are TOO much like in the old Doom. I mean, you pick up some armour and the lights go out and little compartments slide open and zombies crawl out... They could've come up with so much more original stuff.

Welcome to the forums!
--Mush 8)
Vote Mush for President

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:37

Spineless-mush wrote:
ItsMeOnly wrote:The only thing still bugging me a lot, is that traps are not as ingeneous as in old Doom.
Actually, I think that's one of the problems: [...] They could've come up with so much more original stuff.

Welcome to the forums!
Thanks,

Agree, but- for example I miss something like Doom II levels "Factory" and "Industrial Area" for example- lot of space, much of hidden areas, a lot of options. Or such a**kicking, like TNTs Plutonia from level 17 (especially two secret levels).

Replying to SKULLZ'' too:
I agree that Doom3 is for sure the best and challenging- but maybe it is that way (paraphrasing some well know statement about democracy) because nobody made a better one. What I'm suggesting is that I've very rarely went thru Doom level the same way as earlier. In D3, I don't quite have choice...

Rambo

redd

Post by redd » Sat Jan 08, 2005 15:15

I'm into the Communications Transfer level and a Chainsaw Zombie?? Okay, the game just got silly...are they Serious!, yes pun intended. Serious Sam was fun...but silly. Introducing a chainsaw into Doom is plain Silly.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Sat Jan 08, 2005 18:50

Well, this isn't reallythe right thread but...

While it is silly, it does make sense as to why they are there and I would be mad if they didn't have it. There was one in the original so it must be in this one too.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

bcr8u12
Pinky Demon

Post by bcr8u12 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 20:34

redd wrote:I'm into the Communications Transfer level and a Chainsaw Zombie?? Okay, the game just got silly...are they Serious!, yes pun intended. Serious Sam was fun...but silly. Introducing a chainsaw into Doom is plain Silly.
It was there as a joke. There is even an email that explains why they are in the game.

dannyboy

Post by dannyboy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:58

i have done a review for he xbox version of doom 3 hope you like it

When you play this for the first time you are bound to get scared. There is no need to be ashamed about jumping out of your chair in shock when a monster jumps out of the dark and you’re not expecting it. Not being being able to use the gun and torch at the same time adds to the really tense and scary atmosphere. When you’re your playing through the co op mode, one player can hold the torch while the other is doing all the shooting. You can play all the way through the full single player game teamed up with a friend or on Xbox live. Now let’s talk about the single player side of things. There are 27 long levels all tense from start to finish leaving you stressed but extremely satisfied at the end. The game starts of with you, a new marine on peaceful Mars City, but things soon start to go wrong when a portal into hell suddenly opens up letting all the monsters free. So you arm yourself with a weapon and find out how it happened. There are lots of cool weapons when you get further like the BFG 9000, plasma rifle and best of all the chainsaw. You also can get a berserk pack which for a limited time lets you kill lots of enemies with one punch. Now for the multiplayer, which is a little disappointing with only four players online. You can play a death match, team death match, last man standing and tourney but its not enough to keep you hooked with only five arenas to play, which are all designed for multiplayer. If you buy the collectors edition you get the behind the scenes, making of the game and the original Dooms are available to play, Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. Doom 3 is by far the best PC to Xbox conversion but there are some flaws which prevent it from being being as good as Halo 2.

heres why it inst the level designs on doom 3 arent as good as halo2 in my opinion because halo 2s enviroments are more open and isnt as scary doom 3 can make you jump when you first play it and after a while it can get rather repetetive and predictable like wise halo 2 has no repetition what so ever and some of the levels for halo 2 actually take place on earth which is a nice change

however doom 3s level designs have the graphical advantage over halo 2 because of the amazing attention to detail and the whole game takes place on a space station and you eventually end up in hell but thats about it no going to earth so in conclusion halo 2 has the best level designs.

Now why isnt doom 3 as good as halo 2 it isnt as good as halo 2 because halo 2 has up to 16 players online but doom 3 has a tiny 4 players can you believe it!
this is abnormal for a fps i thought they could have at least handled 8 players , but then again doom 3 has the best graphics ever seen in a game so im letting vicarious visions of the hook for that one but what else is wrong with doom 3 you play a nameless character who never says a word literally i havent seen this in a game since gta 3 plus doom 3 actually has a ending but halo 2 dosent so doom 3 has the advantage.

OVERALL

not the game everyone expected but a extremley good game if you look past the flaws no where near halo 2 though.

SCORE 8.2

hope you like it

reap3r
Lost Soul

Post by reap3r » Sat Jul 16, 2005 15:31

yeah when the armor is there and that damn head pops out of that door. not that it even hurt you. Oh and btw the only good thing about halo 2 is multiplayer. single player blows. but back on topic.
Horsepower
Torque
Speed
Power

All in a Roush Mustang :)

dannyboy

Post by dannyboy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 21:06

did youy like the review :D

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 22:07

Doom 3 is absolutely fantastic, there'z no deny in that. The characters, the storyline and the game environment is all great!
However, there are several bugs, which you might also encountered, and I wonder if you have the same opinion 'bout them.

- Too few secret places compared to the older Doom-games.

- The levels are too dark, and there is no attachable or built-in flashlight for your weapons. I know, I know, there are several mods which has this minor bug fixed, I'm talking 'bout the original game now.

- TOO MUCH AMMUNITION! Almost every FPS game has this enormous problem. The levels are easy to complete even in Nightmare mode, since there is no such problem as ammo shortage. The only exception is the Hell level alright, but at the other levels, there is no challenge in shooting, and direct hits. You don't even use that enormous amount of ammo.

- Invisible walls: Also a common problem in most games, not just FPS. "We don't want you to climb this and that object/wall/rock/whatever, because we would need to draw extra pixels, create secret areas, and bullshit, so we block it with an invisible wall". This shows incredible lazyness of the authors'.

- The Pinky demon roar: I found this little bug in Monorail skybridge level (or Recycling sector 1, if you prefer). Y'know that wide, U-shaped corridor when 3 Pinky demons come to greet you. Using a grenade, you allure them out of the corner, and kill them. You kill the third Pinky as well, which is summoned near you. BLAM! Pinky goes down. Then you continue your way, and you hear them roar...

- Monsters' limbs "clip" through movable walls, and objects somethimes.

- The shotgun's spread is too big. Just compare it to Doom 2.

- I miss water pools, and underwater areas. I thought every good game has underwater sections nowadays. Even Quake 2 and 3 had it. Why did they forgot them in Doom 3?

- Wide open areas, and large, toxic pools with bridge crossing is also missing.

- Cacodemons are quite small compared to Doom 2, and Lost souls are too big.

- I miss the Baron of Hell, Arachnotron and Pain elemental as well. The classical demonic head with horns.

- The marine's movement is FRIGGIN' clumsy and gangling. Compare it to Quake 2, and y'll see what I mean.

- Too many bullet-proof objects! I don't know how can a computer's monitor survive a BFG-blast.

These are my "bugs" from Doom 3. I don't know what do you think, but these should be fixed in Quake 4.
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er...never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 22:41

Reactor wrote:These are my "bugs" from Doom 3. I don't know what do you think, but these should be fixed in Quake 4.
Well firstly, have you updated your DOOM 3 game build to the latest version?

http://www.doom3.com/update.asp

As for Quake IV, even though it uses a slightly modified version of the DOOM 3 engine, I imagine it'll still be plunged with many of the same issues that the DOOM 3 engine has, there are notable flaws and limitations. (IE, simulating decent specular metallic surfaces that have DOT3 bump maps or UV maps applied to it at resolutions higher than 1096x1096, since broader or tighter levels of specularity isn't a reliable specification of the engine, then there's in-surface aliasing but that's evident in most 3D apps/games now adays, they're basically seams down a bright, ombndial directional light source data lit specular model due to improperly tesselated surface normals, other issues such as ~2.5 times the rendering power requring soft stencil shadow volumes, even though easy to implement by extruding only a couple of volumes in the outer and inner edge, then combining it, is really due to heavy performance/frame-rate fill rate reducing problems, and then there's another stencil shadow volume issue that copes with an improper rendering error regarding casting volumes upon other entities in-game and specific incorrectly rendered seperate stencil primitives and silohoutes from certain directions/angles, this is why full global shadow volume casting was disabled in the final build of both the PC and Xbox version of DOOM 3, and etc...)
Last edited by Wester547 on Sat Sep 03, 2005 22:20, edited 4 times in total.

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 22:43

Uh-oh, this is too hard for me to understand :?
However, this appears to be a fair explanation for one of the bugs. What 'bout the others, hmm?

I know it's hard, but hell, if ID software managed to create such awesome game with lots of unique features, they might be able to correct those bugs mentioned earlier.

I downloaded Doom 3 1.3 patch for Resurrection of Evil, and now I'm unable to play both. Every CD-key I give is incorrect, even the keycheck fix made by TNT falied. :evil:
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
TRANSMISSION ENDS

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 22:51

Reactor wrote:Uh-oh, this is too hard for me to understand :?
However, this appears to be a fair explanation for one of the bugs. What 'bout the others, hmm?

I know it's hard, but hell, if ID software managed to create such awesome game with lots of unique features, they might be able to correct those bugs mentioned earlier.

I downloaded Doom 3 1.3 patch for Resurrection of Evil, and now I'm unable to play both. Every CD-key I give is incorrect, even the keycheck fix made by TNT falied. :evil:
Weird, tried reintsalling both of them?

Sorry for the rather technical post, in other words it's graphical glitches that have to do with the real-time shadows and shiny "specular" textures, and also has to do with the reason regarding why DOOM 3 was so dark.
Last edited by Wester547 on Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 22:52

Yeah, I reinstalled them,but the problem still exists.
Note that I have copied version both of them...sorry... :?
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
TRANSMISSION ENDS

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:00

Reactor wrote:Yeah, I reinstalled them,but the problem still exists.
Note that I have copied version both of them...sorry... :?
Well then, bingo. There's your reason, buddy. Unfortunately, it's been ages (since the old days of Unreal 1 in 1997, or perhaps it was Q1-Q2 1998, lol) since users have been able to successfully install blank CD-R or DVD-R burned optical disc versions of games/apps that are copyright protected, it's not only illegal but basically impossible, due to specially implemented and well hidden technologies in an extra reflective layer (or embedded in one of the double/dual layers) of the optical disc such as CSS intact, and the list goes on.

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:02

Yeah, I know...I'll just wait until the games become so cheap here, I can purchase them.

I never play multiplayer, all I need is the storyline "campaign" mission. If I want to play rampage online, I have Quake 3 Arena. It's good! :D
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
TRANSMISSION ENDS