Whatcha playing?

video games are fart
Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Re: Whatcha playing?

Post by Quack » Mon Mar 27, 2017 16:52

Man, you guys are puthies. Outlast is easy. Just keep running. If you die, just restart from the checkpoint. Run run run

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 17:51

Well, yeah. You can break the horror experience in any game by just losing immersion and brute forcing it without caring whether or not you die.

What makes something scary is playing along with its premise. Horror is always a voluntary medium. It doesn't work if you don't play along, since you're never actually in danger.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Mon Mar 27, 2017 18:21

EDIT: looks like saladin beat me to it

that sounds like it defeats the point of a horror game tho. and thanks for the heads up Saladin. i just did the castle in Forest Zone for the first time (if there are more times idk?) so i'll keep that in mind when i get there.

Radiant Historia is an Atlus RPG for the DS. i don't think it ever picked up a ton of traction when it came out. in fact, i'm pretty sure it went out of print for a while before Atlus reprinted it. but i saw it mentioned in a lot of RPG hidden gem threads so i picked it up a few years ago and just now remembered i had it. the plot and writing are solid, if a little standard, and it has a nice style that's obviously eastern but isn't overwhelming. there's a time travel mechanic as well. you have a map of the storyline broken down into chronological nodes and you can hop between them. decisions you make in timelines affect other ones so at some points you'll have to jump to an alternate timeline to, say, kill the bandits that killed an informant so that the informant in the other timeline is still alive. i'm still early, but so far it doesn't seem to be a huge gameplay mechanic where you need to piece together the right timeline. rather it seems more like a story element where you're closing "loopholes" in other timelines so the right history plays out.

combat is turn based. enemies are on a 3x3 grid and you try to setup combos by manipulating their position with skills (e.g. pushing forward, back, left and right). enemies stacked on the same tile all take damage when you attack, but they unstack after your turn so it's more about turn by turn combos. enemies also deal less damage the further away they are. you can also swap turns with party members and even enemies, but that character will take more damage for a turn if you do.

i believe they're remastering it for the 3DS so that might be something to wait for, but the DS version looks, feels and plays just fine. enjoying it quite a bit, even if it's a little slow to start.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 00:04

I've been playing a lot of mobile games like Love Live School Idol Festival (simply put a sort of DDR but with idols), Fire Emblem Heroes (makes me want to play some actual FE games), and WWE Champions (basically Bewjeweled). I love SIF because I'm such a weeb and enjoy idol music sooooooo much. FE Heroes is pretty great for a F2P type game, even though it has people that whale for it by buying the scouting orb things, but whatever I like the singleplayer lmao. And WWE Champions is pretty shit but I enjoy it as a timewaster. It has a few cool little things about it but meh.

Also been playing GTA online with a friend and it's been pretty great! Still rocking Binding of Isaac as well, got everything but greed/greedier done on The Lost so that's the 2 things I'm working on for that. Been pretty out of CS still, I might just go back to solo queuing like I did a couple years ago.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 01:45

Does FE Heroes actually have FE gameplay and story? I just assume most mobile games are scams or suck, so I never bothered with it.

GTA online is great. I still play it every once in a while to try my hand at a heist or do some missions. The balance is fucked and it's loaded with hackers but it's still good regardless. The only thing that really kills it for me is that a 1/3 of the player base is fucking retarded and cannot do the heists, but insists on joining them anyway, so it's borderline impossible to pull one off.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 01:52

I wouldn't be able to tell you to be quite honest with you brother, I've never played Fire Emblem game! I assume its the exact same, its a top down thing where you move the characters to the enemy and fight? There isn't a TON of story but it does have little bits of text before some battles so there is that!

And as far as heists go, I haven't even tried any yet because I don't want to just jump into the shit without having most stuff unlocked. I did some of the earlier regular missions with Lamar and people are fucking dumb as dirt, like I got matched with a teammate and we did our stuff just fine, but the other 2 dudes kept dying and making us have to restart. I'm like come the fuck ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. It's not hard....
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Mar 28, 2017 02:35

i loved GTA online for a long time, but the more i played it the less i liked it. there's so much bullshit that makes it inconvenient and tedious. the menus and load times are horrible, the money grind is way too long and hackers run rampant. the fact you even have to grind for money takes the fun out of the game. i know it's a huge cash cow for them and all, but it's the antithesis of GTA. a game that gives you so much freedom feels so restrictive. and then there's a lot of small inconveniences that spoil the experience like being unable to fully restock your ammo without going into a mission lobby. eventually someone hacked in like 30 million for me and i bought everything i wanted, but by then i was so soured on the game i lost interest.

the heists are really good, but the fact they haven't added any since launch and instead focused on minor content updates goes to show it's just a game they're milking.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 04:42

Yeah, I agree with all that. But I started early when it was plagued with problems, so they gave me 500k on top of 500k I'd made with exploits. So luckily I didn't have to grind much, and I've always had enough money to float by and replenish with the occasional heist or mission set.

There's no question they milk the shit out of it, which is particularly unforgivable given how terrible their anti cheat systems are. But the core experience is still solid.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 20:04

Still playing a lot of Nier, taking my time with it because I like it a lot.

It really is something special. And it gets better and better the more you play it. It's gotten to the point where I just like running around and traversing the world, so that even the mindless side quests are really engrossing.

I'm still pretty far from "finishing" the game (it has multiple sequential endings, Dragon's Dogma style.) But I almost don't want it to end.

It's been a while since I've felt that way about a game.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Apr 03, 2017 20:30

playing it less with class starting this week (linear algebra, bio and CS kill me) but i'll make my way through it slowly but surely. how does the ending thing work exactly? am i replaying the exact same content or?

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 20:51

It's weird. It's basically like New Game +, but everything is slightly different. There are new cutscenes and main story missions that are more difficult, and new side quests and mechanics that are only available to that character.

Even though it's the same story, the new perspective on it and the change in difficulty make it feel like something entirely new.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 05:23

i finished it the other day. loved it. one of the best games i've played in the past year or so. almost everything about it is amazing. i loved that they crammed so many big, exciting moments into its campaign. games three times as long would have that many big moments and they're doing it in a concise 6-8 hour main quest. the pacing is perfect. also the fact combat stays fun the entire way through even though there's very little evolution over the course of the game says a lot. there was never a time where i was like, "i wish i wasn't fighting something."

can't say the same about NG+ though. 9S isn't anywhere near as fun as 2B. like he's actually frustrating to play because his moveset is so limited. having all the momentum and fluidity of combat taken away is irritating. the hacking is a cool mechanic, but i already know it's going to overstay its welcome if i use it too often. the shmup stuff just isn't as fun as the melee. i'm gonna burn through the main game if i can to get to NG++ so i can play as the next character and get back to melee fun.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 05:47

I'm done with all the endings up to E, and yeah, it's too early to give out GOTY, but this is a serious contender without a doubt.

9S is a bit more boring, but there's still lots of good stuff left in the game, trust me.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 22:23

what have y'all been playing? anything new and/or fun? i'm looking for some stuff to pick up since i sold some Dota 2 cosmetics and have like 70 bucks in my steam wallet

i picked up Dead Cells the other day. super fun game. basically Castlevania + roguelite. everything feels great and the difficulty curve remains challenging but never ball-bustingly hard. it's still in early access but quite honestly if the game was released now it'd be just as worth it. the fact they're planning to double its content for 1.0 is crazy. it genuinely feels like a finished product. it doesn't have the long term endless appeal of BoI (it's more akin to Rogue Legacy), but you'll easily get 15-25 hours or more out of the game right now.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 22:58

I've bought a ton of games recently but none of them have really clicked with me yet. I've been focusing on smash in preparation for Evo for the most part. I bought a bunch of old games during the summer sale, and the original Nier to get the backstory. But I haven't had much time to really get into them.

Dead Cells was on my radar but I wanted to wait for a while to see how it turned out. I gotta work through my backlog anyway. New releases have been pretty dry since like March.