Darkwood

video games are fart
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Darkwood

Post by kob » Mon May 27, 2013 22:20

Darkwood is a top-down, oldschool, sandbox survival horror set in a procedurally generated, open world. It features RPG and roguelike elements, with intense combat and a eerie atmosphere. Gameplay wise, it has features in common with games like Project Zomboid, Don't Starve and Teleglitch. As for the atmosphere and story, we like to think that it's inspired by the works of David Lynch.
this looks terrifying for a top down indie game. well done.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/darkwood

i will be very upset if this doesnt get funded

Syringe
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: OHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Darkwood

Post by Syringe » Tue May 28, 2013 17:44

more like dickwood

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Tue May 28, 2013 19:52

Did someone say dickwood

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu May 30, 2013 05:56

okay. yep. yep. okay.

thanks indie developers for saving survival horror

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 23:39

so 4 years later this is finally out. never expected it to get finished and felt like i wasted the 10 bucks i put in to kickstart it, but it's finally done and it's great. you'd think it wouldn't be that scary because it's a top down game, but outside of your cone of vision the surroundings are obscured in a fog of war so you have to shine your light around to see what's actually there. add in some stellar sound design and the game is honestly pretty spooky. release is pretty much the same as the trailers above although the game seems more survival-y than it looked. not far enough to know how it stacks up over time, but my first ~90 minutes with it has been great.

def check this out if you're looking for a unique survival horror game. the devs put it up on pirate bay for free if you're hesitant about paying for it.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 16:44

Whoa, the devs put it on pirate Bay? Crazy.

I'll look into it, I wanted to stock up on horror games for October. Does it have an interesting story?
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 17:35

yeah they wanted everyone to be able to play it and would rather you pirate it directly from them than buy it from a key reseller if you're low on cash. even if you don't want to pirate it steam refunds makes it pretty risk free. you'll know within 2 hours whether it's your kind of game.

re story: i haven't figured out much of what's going on other than you're trying to get out of the forest. i've got a guess of what's happening after doing the prologue/tutorial (which was like most of my time with the game since i'm an idiot and got stuck on it) but it's still so early and i've spent most of my time figuring out the survival aspects of the game. i do want to know what's going on though.

here's the release gameplay trailer if you want to see the final product (it's not much different): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3tmWfFACQ