kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: guild bores 2

Post by kob » Tue Feb 21, 2012 00:09

i am agree

Scythe
Arch-Vile
Consoles: PC, Wii U, New 3DS, 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS3, PS2, PS1

Post by Scythe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 20:38

<33
Ransom wrote:
Mr.Smith wrote:Apple faggot machine.
I imagine this as a little robot that wanders around and collects bundles of sticks and dumps them at your feet
only white, and stylish, and incompatible with most sticks
KnightofBane wrote:i did not touch it other than to put it in my mouth
click this if you're new

Scythe
Arch-Vile
Consoles: PC, Wii U, New 3DS, 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS3, PS2, PS1

Post by Scythe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 20:04

In case you guys haven't heard, they've started sending out invites.
Yes, beta invitations have begun going out. They'll be sent out over the next few days. Please remember that discussing the beta in any way, shape, or form -- including your status in it -- is a breach of NDA. Don't risk your beta access! ~RB2

http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/post ... 8968674209
<33
Ransom wrote:
I imagine this as a little robot that wanders around and collects bundles of sticks and dumps them at your feet
click this if you're new

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Mar 26, 2012 16:51

alright so i was in the beta event this weekend. now that the event is over i don't care at all about breaking the NDA because pre-orders on the 10th of april guarantee beta access.

so if you have any questions about the game let me know

Scythe
Arch-Vile

Post by Scythe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:55

what did you do?

how was starting out?

Did you try WvW or any other PvP?
if so, how was it?

what classes/races did you try out?

Tell us about your overall experience.
<33
Ransom wrote:
click this if you're new

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 02:23

HOW GREAT WAS IT ON A SCALE OF 1 TO GREAT

more seriously what is character customisation like

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 03:24

Scythe wrote:what did you do?
leveled exclusively. I'm not a huge PvPer in MMOs and with how poorly optimized the client is (it is a beta afterall) I imagine it'd rape my machine going into WvW and such without turning the graphics on low. seriously the optimization was so bad that a) the game was set to use Low processor power by default and would revert to low every time you loaded the game up and b) the game ran better in fucking fullscreen windowed by a huge margin. I went from 40~ FPS on medium to like almost max with stable 50-60 FPS just by making it windowed fullscreen. hell the game didn't even have high res textures in (as far as I know - it did look a lot uglier than I saw in screenshots, even on max) and it still ran like shit until I found solutions.

they did say, though, that the beta was not optimized at all so can't be too bitter.
how was starting out?
it's great. game starts at level 1 and it's very obvious. while the events and renown quests do get better later on, it's not as much of a steep climb like it is with MMOs (that is, the game changing a lot as you level up). I mean hell you get all your abilities for your weapon choice within like 15 minutes and you'll have your entire bar filled by level 30.
Did you try WvW or any other PvP?
did not try. I heard WvW had too many balance issues i.e. one server has 500 players the other server has like 50 since there were like 2 full servers and the rest were medium-low population. I have heard both are great, though.
what classes/races did you try out?
I tried Norn Engineer, which turned out to be a mistake because Engineers have a very blatant steep learning curve and high skill cap. it got fairly difficult for someone who was trying to just learn the game. I abandoned him and went to a Human Guardian, who I had the best experience with overall. got to level 25 on him. had no trouble taking on multiple mobs and soloing Veterans (basically elite mobs from WoW). then I tried a Charr Thief, but I ditched that within 30 minutes. I don't like their playstyle. then I tried a Charr Warrior who I enjoyed a lot.

overall I'd say I spent 85% of the weekend on my Guardian, though.
Tell us about your overall experience.
I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I would definitely say it does not live up to the ridiculous hype some people fell for. not to say it's bad by any stretch, but if you expected some 10/10 revolutionary GOTYAY perfect game then you'll be disappointed. that said I'm very comfortable in saying it's the best MMO I've ever played. the dynamic events are much better than questing for sure. it promotes a play style where you can just freely roam and events and shit will just pop up. it's hard to get used to at first after playing regular MMOs, but once you get the hang of just running around and exploring it's great. I also loved the events that do change the world. not every single one does, but the ones that do are pretty awesome. there's one where these guys were trying to blow up this giant bridge and I accidentally let them plant the charges so the whole bridge collapsed and everyone ended up having to go around. it then triggered an event where I had to help the nearby town rebuild the bridge by grabbing wood and shit.

however, you can tell there's still some generic MMO in the game. the renown hearts are essentially quests with more flair. you don't need to pick up or turn them in and all of them do have multiple ways of completing, which makes them better, but overall they're (for the most part) thinly veiled "kill x gather x." still, I find them more fun. plus they're optional. they're there for when events aren't really going on or when you need some sense of direction. some events suffer from this as well.

my favorite part about it all is that the game promotes group play. they weren't kidding. you can do this right out of the gate and you'll all be rewarded equally with no penalty, assuming you actually contribute. I would argue the game is much better with friends. disregarding the social aspect, it's nowhere near as easy as most MMOs I've played. it's actually quite challenging at times and I definitely found myself overrun and outnumbered quite a lot. group play makes this MUCH more bearable.
HOW GREAT WAS IT ON A SCALE OF 1 TO GREAT
I'd give it probably an 8 or 8.5. not on a modern review scale, either. in that case it'd be a 9.3 or something. I could definitely see it being a 9ish once they fix bugs and polish the game more. it's not perfect, but like I said I definitely am comfortable saying it's the best MMO I've ever played.
more seriously what is character customisation like
well you've got the usual height, body size (skinny, muscular, average etc) skin color, hair style, hair color, facial hair blah blah. then you've got eye/nose/jaw/mouth (shit like that) sliders with a lot of options. plus some race specific things like for Charr you can change your horns and how long/short they are etc. then you get to dye every aspect of your armor from the git go. so if you want to be decked out in pink chain mail then you've got it. rainbow style? absolutely. you can also do this on the fly as well in game so if you wanna go from pink power ranger to grimdark in seconds you can. you've also got the personal story questionnaire (I'm sure you've seen this). it's pretty good. not anything groundbreaking, but it's very much up to date with how we do things in the 2012.

hell the whole game feels up to date, even next gen. I definitely say it sets a standard for future MMOs. it's actually FUN leveling in this game.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Apr 10, 2012 21:42

buy.guildwars2.com

Scythe
Arch-Vile

Post by Scythe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 01:47

GOT DAT PREORDER
<33
Ransom wrote:
click this if you're new

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 03:33

me 2 bruh

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 04:55

dudes we should combine our beta testing powers whenever the next weekend thing is for maximum testing efficiency

how does server location and things work in this game

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 05:07

i'm not sure. i think they've mentioned it, but i've ignored it because it's irrelevant to me

Scythe
Arch-Vile

Post by Scythe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 22:00

Ransom wrote:dudes we should combine our beta testing powers whenever the next weekend thing is for maximum testing efficiency

how does server location and things work in this game
YEAAAAHHH
<33
Ransom wrote:
click this if you're new