Minecraft

video games are fart
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: Minecraft

Post by Saladin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 01:16

@ KoB

I don't disagree with people getting paid to play or cover e-Sports, that model falls pretty nicely into the traditional sports model. People pay (indirectly usually) to watch their favorite players and commentators.

But expecting to get paid just for playing something period is a little different. It would sort of be like if you video-taped you and your friends dicking around with a football and expected people to pay for it.

Youtube and the internet makes it possible, sure. But to what extent should people actually be compensated for it? I'm not asserting that I have a good answer, just that I don't immediately see it as being a big deal.

@ Syringe

It isn't a bad business decision if no one does anything, no one cares and people keep buying it. Which is exactly what appears to be happening.

As for the update thing, that seems highly unlikely. Technically speaking he could have done that at any point in time, so why would he do it now?

I'm saying that Minecraft *isn't* a AAA game, its business model is completely different. Giving it the same expectations doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It was dumb for them to say it's been "released" at all, the alpha was technically the release. Giving it a "finished" stamp mark never really made sense unless they intend to stop patching and updating completely, which they don't intend to do as far as I know.

So it's really only a semantic argument there, which I'm just not interested in having. "Finished" or "unfinished" on "release" with a game that has been updating itself with small installments for years now is just too muddled of territory to have any meaningful discussion. Good or not good is the better argument. Overpriced or not overpriced. I don't fucking care what they call it. And, in that respect, it's at least as good as the original Minecraft for like double the price (I got it for like 12 dollars). Overpriced? Sure. Anything else is just exaggeration in my opinion though.

As for the reddit posts, it's kind of he-said she-said bullshit. There's no way to know who's in the right here and who isn't. And, at worst, that just makes him an egomaniac, still at least ten pegs above most of the assholes who make games in this world. And you don't have to like the person to appreciate the product either.

It is bullshit that their expenses covered, that's not fair. That makes them practically attendees, not employees. But, in general, so long as expenses are covered, I don't know that I agree to make it mandatory to pay people to show up to conventions. Egoraptor was at anime expo, for instance, but he wasn't paid to be there. Neither are most of the artists I think, they're just given a venue to sell their work.

As for not wanting to be a customer, would that really stop you from pirating their stuff? What was the last game you paid for in earnest (that is to say, not because you wanted the multiplayer or something, not forced into it)?

I just can't take your moral claims seriously dude. You reap what you sow. You don't get to call other people dicks if that's how you think they're supposed to behave. Hiding behind the claim that it's "bad business" is a shallow mask. He's going to make a ton of money, so it obviously isn't a bad business strategy.

I've already said that if Best Gamers is satire, it fucking sucks at satire. You can't just imitate douchebags and call it satire. Satire involves, at the very least, being ridiculous with someone's viewpoints in order to make other jokes.

Moreover, the main reason I believed it is because the creators seemed exactly like the kind of self-important autistics who would say something like that, and most of the things they said in the review were fucking stupid. It's not exactly satire if you imitate morons as a joke, but then are actually just as stupid with your real content.

So unless the entire video is a satire of a bad review of Minecraft, it can only be called an attempt at satire. Because it fucking sucks.

But I really didn't want to argue about the video.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:23

I think the difference, though, is that these guys aren't just two guys being filmed. yeah maybe when they were unpopular I wouldn't expect them to get paid at all, but given their popularity and the things they've done for Minecraft they certainly deserve a bit more than just being compensated (which they weren't). again, it really comes down to scale to me. they don't deserve 10 grand for showing up, doing autographs and their panel. but I believe they deserve compensation & perhaps a little profit for doing their panel etc. they took time out of their "work" schedule (which we both agree isn't really work, but it is a form of revenue for them) to do Minecon when they could have easily just sat at home, made YouTube videos and got paid twice as much. and Yogscast is as much of a business as Mojang is.

that's why I don't side with Notch on this. he didn't compensate them for shit and then badmouthed them for asking, even though Yogscast still went.

I just feel like the whole Minecon thing was a disaster. the people DID volunteer, but I think everyone who "worked" for Minecon should have been paid. like Syringe said, people want to be paid for work. when you're as big as Yogscast and you start letting people bend you over and take advantage of stuff you're willing to do for free then you're sinking your own business.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:27

and then there's this

saladin is right that it's a bunch of he-said-she-said and taking sides on that count is a waste of time.

it is also worth pointing out that apparently mojang LOST money on minecon so it's entirely plausible that greed had absolutely nothing to do with the unreasonable ticket prices.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:33

I believe Totalbiscuit's (the most honest gaming "journalist" I know of) side of the story more than some random guy on reddit. but yeah we'll never really know the truth so I do agree it's a waste of time to argue that point.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:43

except totalbiscuit's post is pretty much 'well that doesn't sound like the yogscast i know!!!!' and a bunch of speculation

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:48

which is no better than a guy writing "man fuck yogscast notch 4 lyfe" and throwing in a screenshot of a shirt he got from Minecon

you'll notice I said I agreed that we'll never know the truth so it is pointless to debate. however, if I had to pick sides, I'd pick the one from a guy whose built a reputation upon honesty who did talk to Yogscast about the whole ordeal than some random internet dude

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:55

oh he talked to one of the two involved parties well that certainly clears things up

what i'm saying is his commentary isn't honest so much as earnest and frankly i would not agree it is any more or less useful than a random internet dude

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 03:02

no but i have faith in totalbiscuit's opinion that the yogscast wouldn't do something like that, which gives me just enough reason to side with yogscast if i had to pick one

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 03:20

yeah fair enough

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 05:35

I do think it's fucked up that their expenses weren't paid, that kinda sucks.

But, in general, I'd say any hatred of Notch is pretty much unfounded. Maybe personally he's not a great guy, but he makes a good product that (for the majority of its existence anyway) was well priced and fun. It also did a lot to make gaming more mainstream and helped popularize digital distribution, which has been really useful for indie developers.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 05:50

yeah he's an alright guy

i think there are a lot worse people in the gaming industry (kotick) to worry about

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 04:17

pack it up gentlemen we've achieved peak minecraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dLWJ3pHdtc
map damon

Aliens
Spider Mastermind

Post by Aliens » Sun Feb 12, 2012 08:53

that's amazing

Scythe
Arch-Vile
Consoles: PC, Wii U, New 3DS, 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS3, PS2, PS1

Post by Scythe » Sun Feb 12, 2012 17:29

what
<33
Ransom wrote:
Mr.Smith wrote:Apple faggot machine.
I imagine this as a little robot that wanders around and collects bundles of sticks and dumps them at your feet
only white, and stylish, and incompatible with most sticks
KnightofBane wrote:i did not touch it other than to put it in my mouth
click this if you're new

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:33

is there still a PF minecraft server