Horror games

video games are fart
Ransom
CyberDemon

Horror games

Post by Ransom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 02:51

right but what i'm saying is i think it's cool for it to be less scary if it's better elsewhere

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: AMNESIA A MACHINE FOR PIGS

Post by kob » Sun Sep 15, 2013 03:43

i guess. i'd rather have both. they aren't mutually exclusive. personally i find the kind of horror AMFP goes for far more terrifying than the kind the original goes for. it just isn't anywhere near as good as it could (and should) be.

but in fairness to thechineseroom a lot of my gripes with the game is the lack of innovation in the genre. that's a pretty harsh word so i guess i mean the state of horror gaming. devs aren't even close to reaching the full potential of horror games and that kinda kills a lot of games in the genre, particularly with how predictable they are.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 06:27

okay fair enough, i haven't played it
kob wrote:that's a pretty harsh word so i guess i mean the state of horror gaming. devs aren't even close to reaching the full potential of horror games and that kinda kills a lot of games in the genre, particularly with how predictable they are.
well i don't know about that. horror's in a kind of rennaissance at the moment. hamnesia's very much in the old school of scripted sequence-centric horror design which at this point isn't representative of what's happening in the genre at large.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Sep 15, 2013 15:44

is it? i guess i haven't played enough horror games then. just in my experience it seems like all of them go for the 'complete objective, something scary happens' trope which makes it far easier to mentally deal with what is about to happen. i feel like the cerebral/psychological horror types of games could be so much better if they did away with that, or mixed it up. hell, all those ambient noises you hear like footsteps and people screaming/crying and just overall sounds that make you feel like you are not alone should be occasionally real. you could seriously fuck with the player's mind if done properly. it's really easy to tell when it is and when it is not real and that's what detracts from the experience of me. i can only have so much suspension of disbelief.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 17:47

check out the indie horror scene, which has fucking exploded in the last year or so. a lot of folks have found a lot of inventive ways to evoke horror through mechanics rather than the elaborate smoke-and-mirrors the genre traditionally relies upon. i don't think anyone's learned those lessons in the AAA space yet but i expect it's inevitable if things keep going the way they are.

one of my personal favourite examples of this is miasmata, which makes quiet exploration of nature unbearably, heart-poundingly tense. it creeps up on you with its central conceit and without a single scripted moment puts you in the mindset of prey. it's rough around the edges, but it's really cool.

i'm also convinced the oculus rift, considering its effortless and frankly kind of unnerving immersion, is perfectly placed to do wonders for the genre.

Achilles
Spider Mastermind

Post by Achilles » Tue Sep 24, 2013 04:13

Lone Survivor is pretty good.

You have any other examples?
Fasbook
Achilles wrote: You were always a cartoonist Ransom... unrealistic.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 13:10

home is also worth looking into. the creator recommends playing it somewhere really personal and isolated, so i played it in the snow, on the balcony of a family-tradition getaway spot, at midnight. it was so foggy i couldn't see past the nearest streetlight and my hands got so cold that by the end the touch controls were a nightmare on their own.

the game itself is basically an experiment in cerebral horror. it's tough to talk about it without spoiling the experience, but suffice to say that like a machine for pigs it is interested in getting under your skin with ideas rather than going for that old fight-or-flight instinct.

routine looks FUCKING PERFECT (for me)

there's a lot of cool little horror-toys out there, like slender and the SCP games. one of my favourites is Survivors Viy, a weird but unexpectedly inventive elaboration on slender's mechanics. like i said earlier in the thread i have limited patience for them because i find the other kind of horror more interesting, but dude, best trend

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 21:20

A friend of mind recommended Outlast, which I hadn't really payed attention to.

After playing it last night, I highly recommend it. It's like if you combined Amnesia with Condemned, except there are no weapons.

You're stuck in a massive, dark, claustrophobic asylum with a bunch of crazy murderers, and the only source of light you have is a camcorder with nightvision.

It's oppressive. You know enemies are around and you can't do a damn thing about it.

It's not particularly cerebral, but it's pretty damn scary.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Sep 29, 2013 00:07

too much reliance on jump scares for my taste

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46

kob wrote:http://nextfrictionalgame.com/

omgomgomg
whatever this is i'm on board

Scythe
Arch-Vile
Consoles: PC, Wii U, New 3DS, 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS3, PS2, PS1

Post by Scythe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 19:48

this should be changed to horror game general or something, it seems more fitting
<33
Ransom wrote:
Mr.Smith wrote:Apple faggot machine.
I imagine this as a little robot that wanders around and collects bundles of sticks and dumps them at your feet
only white, and stylish, and incompatible with most sticks
KnightofBane wrote:i did not touch it other than to put it in my mouth
click this if you're new

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Tue Oct 01, 2013 19:50

Scythe for mod 2014

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Wed Oct 02, 2013 00:56

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 09:48

yep yep yep sold