GOTY 2014

video games are fart
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

GOTY 2014

Post by kob » Sun Oct 26, 2014 04:40

2014 is wrapping up pretty soon and to my knowledge there aren't many more games coming out so to keep things interesting on PF, what's y'alls GOTY so far? on the flipside, what has been the most disappointing game this year?

for now my favorite is easily 1001 Spikes. i still cannot get over how incredible the Antarctica worlds are. they're so god damn FUN and the level design is clever as hell. what an excellent surprise, especially when i didn't think i'd enjoy the game at all when i first saw a Let's Play of it. that said, i think if Rebirth is as good as i'm expecting, that will definitely be my GOTY. until then it's definitely 1001 Spikes.

my most disappointing game is Dark Souls 2 by far. i've beaten my thoughts about this game into the ground in the Dark Souls thread, but fuck man what a letdown.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Re: GOTY 2014

Post by burnfire88 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 06:08

Rebirth will probably be mine as well. Tower of Guns is my current vote though, sunk a lot of time into it. Sad that there aren't gonna be anymore major updates to it, but I'm fine with it how it is now. Hopefully Joe can crank out a great game next, he has a lot of potential. But yeah nothing else this year really stood out. Crypt of the Necrodancer could have been a contender but I feel like it lacks too much content at this stage of EA to be up there. Love that game though.

On a sidenote, I picked up DS2 for 20 bucks the other day, never played DS1, am I in for a fun time? :P
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Oct 26, 2014 06:16

it's probably a pretty good game on its own, but in comparison to the first few games it's a total blunder. you can go check out my thoughts in the Dark Souls thread, but i'm sure there are some spoilers so be careful

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:31

DS2's a really good game. It's just that the other games in the series are better. It's my biggest disappointment this year as well.

Without putting much thought into it my tentative GOTY is almost certainly Towerfall Ascension. As close to a perfectly tuned game as I can think of. Probably the most raw fun I have ever had with a video game and I haven't even had a chance to play it with more than one other player.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 15:25

Last of Us: Remastered.

Probably either Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 as a close second. Can't decide which is better, but the atmosphere and level design is top notch.
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 17:22

This has been, in all honesty, a shit year for games. At least for me. So I'll need to wait until I finish a few new games that I bought and until Smash 4 comes out to decide fully what my GOTY is.

I would say right now that both my GOTY and my biggest disappointment is Dark Souls 2. It had a lot of serious problems, but it's also basically the only game I played this year that was worth very much.

But wait, that didn't even really come out this year.

Uhhh, Wolfenstein: The New Order was pretty good too but, I'd be pretty sad if I had to name that as my GOTY. I'm gonna have to rain on kob's parade and say 1001 Spikes was my biggest disappointment. I expected something like La Mulana and instead got something more like Eryi's Action.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Oct 26, 2014 20:29

definitely been a pretty shit year for games. outside of two upcoming indie titles (Rebirth and Dungeon of the Endless), I haven't really played any excellent 2014 games since 1001 Spikes. everything has been either disappointing or average for me. I've spent most of the year playing titles I missed from 2012 and 2013.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon Oct 27, 2014 01:13

The Wolf Among Us is my GOTY. it's cleverly written, great twist ending, and is full of a wide range of characters and puzzling choices to make. I like the art direction overall as well. the fan following it has on TTGs website is pretty neat. a solid murder mystery with Fables!

The Walking Dead Season Two was pretty good as well but I think Wolf was all around better in the long run.

Those were the only two games I bought this year so lolwut, can't say I'm disappointed by anything. I forgot if RoS came out this year or last year but I like it now after the patching.

I hear a lot of backlash from Destiny players though so wondering if anyone is on board with that.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 01:38

Saladin wrote:But wait, that didn't even really come out this year.
??? in what way? it was released in march!

between watch dogs, destiny & others there's been a lot of high-profile misfires this year. most of the memorable stuff has been indie titles.

it's interesting nobody has said shadow of mordor yet

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 01:47

i'll probably pick that game up once it goes on sale, but i'm finding it hard to justify a $50 purchase for a game i'm not super interested in. i've heard it's good, though!

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 02:42

It is indeed incredibly good.

The nemesis system is nearly revolutionary. Not to mention it's fucking beautiful.
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 09:51

kob wrote:i'll probably pick that game up once it goes on sale, but i'm finding it hard to justify a $50 purchase for a game i'm not super interested in. i've heard it's good, though!
yeah i got pretty excited about the nemesis system before release, but then realised i didn't actually want to play the game surrounding it, although it seems extremely good at what it does. i don't know if i am 100% over kill-shit-for-20-hours power fantasies but i'm getting very close

itsmedan
Baron of Hell

Post by itsmedan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:10

Reaper of Souls
Put the gun
In my mouth
Close your eyes
Blow my fucking brains out
Pretty patterns
On the floor

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 17:12

Ransom wrote:??? in what way? it was released in march!
For some reason I was thinking it came out last November. Not sure why I thought that.

Shadow of Mordor looks good but honestly, who cares about a Lord of the Rings setting that doesn't either retell the original story or strike off into new territory?

Random dude kills orcs for 10-20 hours really doesn't seem like it's worth my time, even if all the guilt-free murder is done spectacularly well.

Like Ransom said, I'm kind of getting to the point where generic empowerment/murder fantasies don't really do it for me.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

Lord Rameon
Lost Soul
Consoles: Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Wii

Post by Lord Rameon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 17:18

Civilization Beyond Earth has taken my past few days since it came out last week- civ games have always been my top favourites- Civ V took 585 hours according to steam, by far my most played