Whatcha playing?

video games are fart
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Whatcha playing?

Post by Saladin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 00:17

I like the format of our rapid review threads, but it doesn't always let you talk about the games you're currently interested in.

So, much like rapid review, just state what you've been playing recently and why you're interested in it right now.

I've been replaying through Catherine, the horror-romance, puzzle-platformer. I like the game's chill atmosphere between puzzles, and all the crazy crap you improvise on the spot during the levels. It's also been a while since I've played it and I wanted to see if I still liked it, and I think I like it even more than when it came out.

I've also been playing Smash 4, which I think is pretty good but not as good as Project M, which I think is currently the best version of Smash around. I play this game mainly so I can keep up with my friends, who are pretty good at it. It's like a social literacy for me, although it's fun as hell on its own. I was disappointed by the net play in Smash 4 though, the lag makes it basically a completely different game than it is locally.

If my gaming machine wasn't in the shop, I'd still be playing Evil Within. The tense fights in that game are awesome, I love how demanding it is of your skill and frugality.

I've also been playing a bit of Endless Legend, because I love Civ V but I'm tired of it.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Re: Whatcha playing?

Post by Gordon Frohman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 00:56

Dragon Age and Destiny. Glad you like TEW, Sally. Excellent game.

Destiny is so frustrating because it has so much potential, but it falls short in so many areas... and it's still somehow so obnoxiously addicting.
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 02:23

for reasons unknown i'm replaying MGS4 and it has got me in the mood to pick up the HD remaster of 2 and 3 because i'm an idiot who deserves nothing

I've also started playing the expansion to Shadowrun Returns and enjoying it quite a bit

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 04:11

That is a strange choice Ransom, I didn't know you liked MGS. 4 has a lot of good moments but the game itself is a mess, even by MGS standards. Is Shadowrun worth it?

I think I'm getting a PS4 bundle for Christmas with a free copy of Destiny, so I can finally experience the disappointment myself.

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Tue Dec 16, 2014 04:19

I just beat Titan Attacks on PS4, only need 2 more trophies to 100% it (no platinum). This is a very small game, but I've had a surprisingly ridiculous amount of fun with it. It's basically space invaders.
I recently got Lords of the Fallen on sale, but I have not started it yet because I just arrived in Arkansas to spend christmas with my mom. I'm going to be here gameless for two weeks, so I didn't want to start a big game yet before coming. As soon as I get back i'm gonna get so into it unnnfff especially since I'll still have 2 more weeks of christmas break before school starts again so I can actually devote myself to gaming again for once.
I want the new dragon age really badly.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 08:28

Saladin wrote:That is a strange choice Ransom, I didn't know you liked MGS. 4 has a lot of good moments but the game itself is a mess, even by MGS standards.
haha, you're telling me! 4 is such a script abomination it's practically a tuition in how not to write: nearly every cutscene in the first half is such a fumbling overexplanatory infodump that it makes otherwise accessible concepts nearly incoherent. the game filibusters itself until you lose the thread of whatever it was talking about. it's fucking baffling

and yet there is nothing quite like MGS. critically the series is a train wreck, but i get an honest kick out of them. i love the endless parade of bizarre design and narrative choices, i love the way each entry in the series starts relatively grounded in reality and makes a gradual transition into outright surreal, pseudo-philosophical science-fantasy absurdity. i love how they're somehow decadently expensive and elaborate while also an expression of artistic insanity. they're a mad spectacle.
Saladin wrote:Is Shadowrun worth it?
The expansion (Dragonfall) is standalone and by all accounts much better, so if you play it at all you might as well play this, although I'm so early on that I can't really say. The game is a perfectly good squad-tactics TBS, not revelatory, but good. What sells it is its setting, which is pretty unique to games and well-drawn in both the initial campaign and Dragonfall.

The initial Shadowrun Returns campaign didn't blow anybody's hats off but I actually have a lot of respect for it. In story beats it's very much a familiar yarn, but Shadowrun does it particularly well. It's classy, self-aware, and meticulously-structured—so rare in game stories—gracefully pulling off a slow upturn from status-quo to its final stakes. Its foreshadowing is downright artful: just subtle enough to provoke a sense of elided meaning, an is-there-more-to-this, without spotlighting the direction things will take, so when it finally reveals its hand it feels earned. Satisfying narrative structure is such a crucial thing in storytelling, but most games, even otherwise well-written ones, are so confounded by it that I think this campaign was due more attention than it got.

I'm very early on in Dragonfall, but so far it seems to play to those strengths while taking feedback onboard from critics of the original campaign. Already I've noticed more roamable areas and a greater focus on characters and party interaction, all welcome improvements. In short these games won't melt your face but they're well-made and respect your intelligence.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:22

Star Trek Online and a super top secret alpha.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Lord Rameon
Lost Soul
Consoles: Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Wii

Post by Lord Rameon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 23:14

I upgraded from a 13 inch 10+ year old tv to a 55 inch, 1080p 240hz beauty and noticed skyrim on my shelf.

it felt like an

entire

new

game

so that's where ~400 game hours are about to go

That and civ V & beyond earth

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 00:40

I sunk a lot of hours into Skyrim, but I never really liked it. I tried really really hard but, the core mechanics are just too weak. There's lots of things to do in Skyrim but none of them are particularly fun.

But yeah, on a 55 inch, 1080p screen, pretty much anything that gorgeous is going to be engrossing for a while.

Let me know how Beyond Earth is. I want to get it but I've been skeptical of it. Seems unpolished.

@ Ransom,

I have a love/hate relationship with Kojima. On the one hand, he's the closest thing to an auteur that the video game industry has. On the other hand, well, does it even need to be said? I'll have to check out Shadowrun.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 02:19

WoW, Binding of Isaac, CSGO, Dota on and off. Haven't been much of anything else that's caught my attention. The Crew seems OK, at least from when I played some of the beta. Might pick it up soon.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 02:22

Saladin wrote:I have a love/hate relationship with Kojima. On the one hand, he's the closest thing to an auteur that the video game industry has.
he's not the auteur this industry needs but he's the auteur it deserves

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57

Update: I'm also now playing Elite: Dangerous, which just launched. I hrm'd at the Kickstarter and didn't think about it again until like two weeks ago when I stumbled across some reporting on it and got suddenly very excited

We've had a lot of space sims over the years that are crafted with either love or flair, I-fucking-love-space attention to detail or polish. Disclaimer: I've only just dived in, these are first impressions only. But this game's universe and design choices are Sagan-like in their celebration of the cosmos - their galaxy generator is loaded with real-world data and robust enough that it's predicted the existence of real exoplanets which the devs didn't explicitly tell it about - but the game itself also feels great to play. Interfaces bustle to life with a satisfying flicker; docking sequences are nervous affairs that end in a meaty, relax-in-your-seat ka-chunk. Hyperspace is as empowering as it is frightening, your destination marker freewheeling as you careen through a blinding, nebulous void. It has the technical confidence of a AAA title and the artistic focus of an indie one.

How interesting it is as a game over the long-term remains to be seen (it's very much a sandboxy make-your-own-objective-em-up), but the foundation is impressive in its own right.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 13:07

i've heard it's extremely bare bones for a 1.0 release let us know if that is true

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 17:39

Yeah, I was hearing that before I picked it up. It's exaggerated. Not totally unwarranted, but 'bare-bones' is putting it harshly. It's missing stuff; the only glaring omission right now is meaningful co-op features, due early next year. Which is a bummer, admittedly. You can still play with friends, but you have to work around the game because it doesn't give you any conveniences other than voice chat and a friends list. But in terms of a solo experience it feels very robust so far. Even if there was no more to the game than what I've discovered in a couple hours of play (and I know for a fact there's stuff I haven't touched yet), I know I'll easily get more than my money's worth out of what's there.

I have a feeling the folks saying that are drawing comparisons to traditional MMOs and expecting that style of content density, which is not at all what Elite is about. Which is: here's an expansive galactic sandbox governed by a bunch of interesting simulated systems and mechanical nuance, go nuts. In terms of an Elite game, which is what it is, its feature-set is absolutely respectable.

I don't want to misrepresent it. There's clearly a lot more planned. You could fairly call it a minimum viable product. It's just that in this case the minimum viable product is really compelling, and would still be worth playing even if everyone at the studio had a synchronised heart attack and development ended here.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 18:48

that's good to hear. i was skeptical about picking it up after hearing that, especially for the asking price, but now i'm gonna look into it more