Whatcha playing?

video games are fart
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: Whatcha playing?

Post by kob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 21:42

been playing binding of isaac and r6 siege but honestly haven't been too into vidya games lately. too much IRL shit.

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 03:32

Morrowind. No quest markers. No compass. Just a million directions. O.m.g.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 06:00

I'm playing a shit ton of Isaac lately. I only have like 13 more things to clear over all the characters (-keeper because I hate greed mode and haven't unlocked him). I have to beat Mega Satan and Greedier on The Lost and that's the main thing I'm working towards tbh. I don't play much CS right now because my friends either got Switchs or started college back. FeelsBadMan
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 18:53

Isaac is great, no time for it though. Been a games dump recently.

Obviously playing BotW, which is fantastic. Frustrating at times but, truly brilliant as well. I also picked up Horizon Zero Dawn, which is also pretty good, although nearly identical to BotW. On top of that I picked up Marvel 3 for PC. I know it's old, but I never really played it before. It's a lot of fun, it's a great game. Then I want to pick up Nier Automata and the new Torment game. Just an avalanche of cool stuff coming out.

I still play smash but, not as seriously. It's too difficult to be good at it, and I want to play other things.

And I figured out how to get a DOS emulator working on my phone. So I've been playing a fuckton of Master of Orion 2 on the go. It's a dream come true, the perfect phone game for me, other than the eye strain. It's so good that it's actually dangerous, it damages my productivity pretty badly, lol.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 22:02

haha i'm finding it quite the opposite. i haven't been able to find much that i'm interested in, but part of it is also that i don't have a Switch so i can't play BotW and i can't justify the $60 price tag for Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Hollow Knight looks pretty cool, tempted to pick that up. also considering picking Path of Exile back up again. had a ton of fun when i broke my ankle, but that game is like crack and i'm scared it's going to suck me back in.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 03:17

i lied, i just got Nier Automata. i had originally written it off as just another jrpg i wouldn't care for, especially since the previous games never piqued my interest, but i looked into it and it looks really good. seems like it has the right amount bonkers narrative and excellent combat to be right up my alley. did you end up picking it up Saladin?

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 15:27

Yeah, been playing it the past couple days.

Loving it, it's great. A bit poorly paced after the intro level, and combat still doesn't quite sit right with me yet, but it's super impressive.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 17:11

what's wrong with the combat? i've only finished the intro level (i'm in the open world now i think?) so i don't know if things change, but the combat has been fantastic so far

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 18:30

It might just be because I'm playing it on an under powered PC with massive frame drops, but I find myself getting hit a when it doesn't seem like I should. I'm also confused a lot about exactly how I should be fighting besides mashing light attack and dodging. I occasionally try to mix in heavy attacks and air juggling, but they don't seem to be much more effective. And against some enemies later, it seems to be just as effective to just stand back and pepper them to death with projectiles than even bothering to risk direct attacks with inconsistent dodge mechanics.

I should note that none of these things feel inherent to the game at all. Rather, as a player, I don't feel they were communicated to me in any meaningful way, and my experimenting hasn't given me any answers either.

That's what I mean when I say it doesn't sit right with me yet. I just literally don't get it.

I actually like it a lot, I'm just struggling to understand what the depth of it is supposed to be. I feel like there's a bunch of mechanics I don't understand.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 19:08

oh yeah i was actually getting that vibe as well. i haven't had much issue with feeling like i got hit undeservedly yet. i find the dodge button to actually be really generous (using a gtx 1080 so no frame drops). however i'm confused as to the depth of the combat as well. part of me feels like i should just be button mashing, but then i get to trickier parts and i start playing it like dark souls. i've found mixing a few heavy attacks in makes for some interesting combos, but it leaves you vulnerable. i'm also a fan of jumping and using a heavy attack, which is a downward swing that pushes enemies back (at least with the starting swords - i'm assuming your combos change with different weapon types?) i was using that a lot in the projectile-heavy sections. in general my strategy has been to frantically maneuver around with jumps and dodges and then go hard once i see an opening.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 19:28

It seems to be like Dark Souls in the sense that weapon *types* change combo potential and attack animations, but any given weapon of the same type is basically the same.

Combos seem to leave you vulnerable because there don't seem to be any. You can "link" together moves in the sense that the animations play sequentially one after the other, and they technically combo if the hitstun is long enough that you can keep it going.

But coming from other Platinum games like Bayonetta, where there's *very* clear indicators about how combos work and lots of opportunities to practice and learn, this one leaves me very confused.

An example, after a successful dodge, you can choose a special counter attack move with light, heavy or shoot. Since I'm typically spamming light, I usually get that one by accident, which seems to usually set up an auto launch air combo starter. But there's plenty of enemies that straight up can't be launched, so you tend to just jump in the air juggling nothing like an idiot.

Then, the game apparently wants you to use the gun a lot to nullify projectiles, which don't seem to have the same properties normal attacks do when it comes to dodging. But the game discourages auto targeting, and even disables it on harder difficulties. I've found myself having to do ridiculous claw grip stuff to keep up. My thumb is on the analogue trigger, aiming my gun which I'm firing with my middle finger in R1, while my index is mashing light or heavy, while my ring finger is mashing r2 when I see an enemy's eyes glow red, which typically, but not always, means you're about to get hit, while my left hand is trying to focus the camera by occasionally slapping l2 and lining up special shots with l1.

It's a crazy, sloppy mess. I can't figure out if this is intentional or if I'm missing something. Like, is the difficulty in a mechanic I don't fully understand yet, or is the game deliberately trying to overwhelm my senses with way too many things at once?

Later in the game, you find alternate pods with different guns. One of them is a heat seeking rocket cluster you don't have to aim. I've just been using that to cut back on execution problems.

Then there's the "finishing moves" you can do when enemies are almost dead. I literally have no idea why these exist. They're massively impractical, and they typically only appear when an enemy is a hit away from dying anyway, and they seem to offer no advantage.

It's to the game's credit that despite all this baffling nonsense, I still like it a lot. It's stylish and crazy, like a Platinum game should be.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Mar 25, 2017 21:28

I've played it more and honestly I haven't had the same problems as you with the combat. I don't even use the pod that often; only when I have to (e.g. dangerous to get close or enemy out of range) or when the ability is off cooldown since it's a single button press. I'd love that pod you're using though just for the extra dps. as for the flow of combat, I've found I can be really aggressive for most enemies. the harder ones I just play a bit slower and more methodical a la Dark Souls. the game isn't all that punishing when you get hit so even at my most reckless moments I'm still doing fine. once I got settled into how the game plays I really haven't felt any sort of mechanical or sensory overload. the combat is top notch honestly. dodging is smooth and generous and chaining attacks together feels great. I don't have any issues there.

my only real gripes are kinda minor. the map isn't very good and the fact I can't bring up a quick map overlay in game sucks. the world is more restrictive than I'd like so this + the map makes navigation a bit tedious. I hate that I feel constantly underleveled too. a quest I did yesterday was 15 levels higher than me, which was impossible to do. and I wish fast travel was unlocked earlier. supposedly I'm about to unlock it, but its a little mind numbing having to walk back and forth across the map (again made worse by the map & world). I'm spoiled by modern game design.

other than that, its been a ton of fun. what a wild game, too. the amusement park, both the main quest and side quests there, are completely bonkers. the Romeos & Juliets play was hilarious. I love it.

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Sat Mar 25, 2017 23:25

played through outlast today gg jumped a few tims

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Mar 26, 2017 16:37

i don't have the balls to play through that game

also picked Radiant Historia back up for on the go/bedtime gaming. no idea why I stopped in the first place years ago. it's such a good game.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 15:44

What's Radiant Historia?

Yeah, I never finished Outlast either. Every time I try, it just freaks me out too much. It's a damn scary game.

I've gotten pretty far in Nier now, which is as much as I can say without spoiling things. But it's my favorite game right now, it's got a lot of depth to it.

I'm still having the same problems with the combat, but you get a lot of overpowered abilities and pod upgrades, so being really good at the combat isn't all that useful. Other than being good at dodging, which is a necessity, you just need to deal damage somehow. What weapon or combos you use is mostly personal preference. Optimizations come from understanding what particularly enemies tend to be weak to, rather than stringing together some chain of inputs.

Later on, the game seems designed almost to have expected you to realize this. Because there are certain sections that would be a serious chore without the various auto healing abilities. But are fairly trivial with them. The same shmup sections become a joke with death heal, because you can just tank bullet shots for free as long as you're killing enemies.

The underleveled thing is something I've experienced too. And yeah, it takes far too long for fast travel to unlock. The map does suck, but it's supposedly intentional? They say as much in game but it felt like a poor excuse.

I will say this, because it was really dumb they don't tell you this, but after you unlock the flooded area, *do not* do the main quest until you feel satisfied with the number of side quests you've completed. Because they all expire after a mission you do there and they don't warn you.