Whatcha playing?

video games are fart
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: Whatcha playing?

Post by Saladin » Fri May 27, 2016 16:13

Neither of them have aged particularly well. 9 is the better constructed game but it's pretty dull and its best moments are towards the end. 7 is ups and downs and *really* hasn't aged well, but it's quite intense pretty much the entire time.

7 has the higher stupid threshold, way more "why is this even in the game" moments. But 9 can be kind of saccharine and it's really unfocused until later.

7>9 IMO, but I don't blame anyone who prefers 9. It's a great game.

If anything, preferring 7 is kinda the edgy opinion these days. But, to me, all of 7's deeply emotional moments still get to me. XIII's reconciliation with his father, Aeris's sacrifice, Cid's failed dream of space travel, Cloud's identity crisis after being infected with Jenova, shit still gives me goosebumps. Plus, its core story and themes are just stronger. 9 is mostly about a little adventure people go on and doesn't get into the crazy war or planet eating people until basically the last 1/3rd of the game. Whereas 7 is compelling pretty much the entire time despite its weird-ass segments and tone shifts.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Fri May 27, 2016 21:39

damn Salad. you brought up a great argument to the table, got me thinking.

I haven't played 7 in a while but now some of those big impact moments are coming back. I hope they do an HD makeover for 9 since yeah it does look old as shit but I got used to it after a while and don't even notice.

its hard to say since they are both great stories but 7 is more polished, that's true. the first few hours of 9 are pretty tough to sit through but then it really gets going whereas 7 is equally paced throughout.

the stupid threshold is a good example, there are a few times in 9 where I was like wtf!? since it felt so out of place. like having the card game, which is supposed to be optional, become a mandatory part of the story is ridiculous. I myself got a hang of the card game and it wasn't a problem for me but I hear people complain about that all the time. a lot of my friends back in the day literally dropped the game because of that which was a shame. I actually liked Triple Triad in 8, I thought it was fun! 9s version was lousy.

same way, I don't blame people for liking 7 over 9, I just never hear people bring 9 up into the conversation of great FF games, it's always 6 or 7.

for sure, Red XIIIs moment was pretty rough but that's what made it memorable. another good point about the overall stakes of the stories in comparison. 7 had more going on but I liked 9 in an overall sense more. (characters, music, settings, story)

as for themes, I think 9 had a good story element going. every character was trying to find their identity in a sense and the way it crossed paths in the narrative was very clever, I thought. the character arcs were pretty impressive. Vivi in particular, he goes from some timid little wuss to standing up for himself and leading the charge. the whole Black Mage thing was a neat way to help illustrate that. even Kuja had an arc and when you fight him again he goes more in depth about it. (idk why he wasn't the last boss, wtf?) I liked how there was an emphasis on what characters were thinking since we got to know more about them. I think 9s cast is my favorite as a party but 7 has some amazing individual characters/moments.

Yuffie stealing your materia is a fucking crime against humanity though, I was so mad when that happened for the first time unknowingly.

damn, well got me thinking anyway! I may have to do an = sign instead of > at this rate haha. they're both really good.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Fri May 27, 2016 22:35

There's this game that came out called Overwatch. I don't know if you heard of it but it's like a team shooter, kinda like TF2. It's alright.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Fri May 27, 2016 22:42

They are, it's hard to choose. I just prefer 7, but they're both pretty great games.

For me though, the cutoff is at ten. Every FF game I've tried since X I've just not liked at all. Not that they don't have any redeeming features, just not enough to keep me interested.

X I just couldn't get into. Sin is cool, as is a lot of the art, but the tone and characters are blah. XI might as well not exist because fuck MMO's. XII starts off strong and then pulls an MGS2 and snatches away your main character for a shitty one and it's all downhill from there. XIII is a freaking abomination. A completely gorgeous game with zero substance, and its sequels are even worse.

I'm worried about the 7 remake and XV as a result. The demo for XV was particularly troubling. It was a beautiful disaster.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Sat May 28, 2016 00:05

that's a bummer. i haven't followed 15 much and was hoping it'd be good.

well shit now i wanna play some Final Fantasy. might pick up 9 since i haven't played it in probably five years. i never got far into 6 though so i might do that.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat May 28, 2016 03:35

the cutoff is at 10 for me as well, I hear ya. I've honestly only played 6 - 10 but I defend them prominently. I can't even fathom the decision making process since then, but to each their own. I've watched people on Twitch play them (11+) and I honestly have no clue what to make of it.

10 is fine in my book but I get why people don't like it. most of the characters and the voice acting is pretty bland but the few hidden gems make it worthwhile for me. I love how you could eventually break the 9999 limit in the late game if you aimed for it. watching Auron hit an enemy for 45k damage is so fucking cool, idk, I've always hated the 9999 limit and to finally see it get broken was awesome to witness for a change. you can even break 9999 hp but there really isn't a point, still neat though.

it's not an easy task to accomplish, don't get me wrong, but is ultimately rewarding once you pull it off. I know the horrendous fake laughing scene, which does get brought up again for no reason, is stupid. but that goes back to the stupid threshold these games have at times. I'd advise giving 10 another chance but I don't blame you if you don't want to, I'll even send you my save file before Omega Weapon if one day you do decide to retry it just to do that part and then the last boss. the third act is spectacular as far as a story goes but I know most of the characters are cringy as hell. I love the combat system in 10 a lot too, but I digress. I get it, really. I did roll my eyes frequently but the gameplay is what sold it for me.

I'm also worried about the 7 remake, it feels like one of those gems of literature that should never be touched or altered, I'm serious! that was a huge part of our generation at the time as far as telling a great story no matter what medium. 15 looks like a joke, I admit. haven't played the demo personally but just from watching streamers play it. I don't get this new direction for the franchise. I say keep it simple like 7-10 as far as gameplay with a deep story. they've done it before! there was nothing wrong with the simple turned based ATB system!

if you do decide to pick up 9 on steam hit me up KoB, I'll give you a few pointers. they really help, mostly customization options and mechanics. hell, if you want to skip the beginning I'll even send you my save file you can use since I did and early exploit, not cheating, to get super leveled ahead.

I did love how hard 9 was as far as difficulty, which 7 and 8 clearly weren't until the end side bosses, but there is an early exploit where you can kill grand dragons and get like 10 level ups per character, maxing out at 40 if I remember right. it helps, trust me.

I'm currently playing through a 100% completion run of FF9 and then I'll check out X-2 next, but idk, it's the most weeb shit I've ever seen just from the couple hours I spent fucking around in it and totally ruins the ending to 10. I will play through it though, I'm slowly learning how to be a more fair than harsh critic these days.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun May 29, 2016 20:52

alright i can't decide which one i wanna play. FF6 or FF9? which one you guys like more? i haven't played them in like 5 years and i never finished either of them FWIW.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Sun May 29, 2016 22:21

9 is better probably in every way. People have nostalgia glasses for 6. It's not bad but it's like baby shit. It's legitimately a game for children.

9 is light-hearted until end-game, but it's meatier. You'll actually get something out of it.

You could probably play both though. 6 isn't very long And, if you emulate it, is easy to grind since you can fast forward the gameplay.

If you're looking for an older one to play, the 3d remake of IV is pretty good

And Tactics is still the best period, with the PSP remake being arguably the definitive version.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon May 30, 2016 18:26

I'd recommend 9 as well, just finished it this morning (34 hours). gotta say, replaying 10 and 9 over these past fees weeks was a nice trip down memory lane.

Salad is right, you could probably do both. 6 is good but the nostalgia glasses comment is so true.

I've been wanting to try out Tactics but it isn't on steam! (yet?)

well, gonna try out X-2 now and see how it goes but I have a feeling I might not even bother finishing it.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon May 30, 2016 18:31

9 it is. i barely remember anything from 6 so i'll take y'all's word on it.

did you say there are options and shit you need to enable ydte?

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon May 30, 2016 19:06

here's what I'd recommend you do in the settings:

- switch the controls around if you're using a controller, the default ones seem odd.
- set Movement to run instead of walk.
- this one is the most important! set Battle Speed to fastest. trust me, before you get auto-haste on your party the battles take sooooo long. this helps.
- set Window Scheme to classic for nostalgia reasons haha

I'd recommend playing in a window and have the ign walkthrough in the background but that's just me. I like collecting everything. in this game it really pays off to search for hidden items.

other things: (you can toggle these on or off)

F3 - sets your attacks to do 9999 dmg
F4 - no monster encounters
F5 - automatically levels your item abilities, I'd recommend always having this on when you load your save. it saves so much time!

you can skip cut scenes and fast forward parts using the bumpers.

there's options in the settings to have max Gil and all party level 99 and you can use those if you want but it kinda ruins the experience.

look up leveling with great dragons early on in the game on youtube, its a neat exploit that helps you get through the first half of the game easier by being super leveled up. towards the end of the game it doesn't make a difference but the first half it helps out a ton since some characters you won't be able to use for a long period of time and this is a good way to get them caught up in levels with the rest of your party.

have fun!

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon May 30, 2016 21:05

haha i don't plan on doing any kind of exploits or cheating other than temporarily turning off monster encounters whenever it gets annoying, but thanks. the fast forward button, too, for those long animations (if that's how it works?)

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon May 30, 2016 21:37

yeah the fast forwarding works for those as well, I didn't mess with it much tbh but I know it works since I clicked it by accident.

totally forgot about the superboss in the game Ozma, I want to fight it but the requirements beforehand are annoying as hell. I'm gonna look for a mod to skip all that crap haha, I've always wanted to do that fight.

oh, one more thing. start playing the card game as early as you can and try to win better cards as you progress. you will have to play it towards the end (which is such bs I know) so it helps to get prepared for it. otherwise you'll get smoked and it gets really frustrating.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed Jun 01, 2016 05:47

how's the FF9 replay going so far miek?

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 15:40

I don't even remember the card game bit, when do you have to do that?