BloodBorne Commitment

video games are fart
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: BloodBorne Commitment

Post by Saladin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 17:31

Haha, I know the feeling. This game can really grind you down.

I just beat my first chalice dungeon yesterday. Or, at least I think I did. I beat a fiery dog dude on level 3 and I can't seem to go down any further.

I'm kinda having trouble figuring out where to go next. All the doors seem to be locked.

I've also been trying to play with high insight, because things are supposed to change and I wanna see that. It makes the game legitimately scary because random shit seems to happen and you're never sure why.

Anyway, I ran into this dude in the chalice dungeon who was totally friendly and weird looking. People claim he drops a lot of goodies but he seemed nice and I didn't have it in me to just murder him for loot.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 18:12

go to the cathedral ward lamp and head to the courtyard with the giant skeleton guys. take a left and there will be an elevator in a room. at the bottom you give the password to the door. that'll take you to a new area.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 18:30

Yeah, at above 20+ Insight enemies gain new attacks, and above 40 you see things you wouldn't before.

Like, enemies that didn't appear before 40 Insight are suddenly there... like they've been there the whole time.

It's creepy later. BTW, Frenzy is the most annoying mechanic in this game and guess what high Insight does? Lowers your resistance to it! Fun!
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 00:42

Damn was on a muhfuckin ROLL this morning.

After
Ebrietas
, knocked out
The One Reborn, Darkbeast Paarl, and Amygdala
all in one try.

#rekt

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 04:35

witch of hemwick was weird as fuck, but a pushover

however
Logarius
is a complete cunt. I had him down to maybe 3 or 4 swings and I fucking choked. I cannot consistently parry him for the life of me. first boss in this game that's made me actually turn off my PS4. maybe once I get some sleep and refocus he won't be such a bitch

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 14:09

He is for sure a complete dick, the thing that makes it worse about it is the lantern is so far away, you have to fall multiple times so you lose precious health, and you have to run through the library full of the crying bitches.

It's easier to parry him when he quits spamming magic i.e. his second half, where he pulls out his sword. That's the only reason I beat him was parrying. That and consistently being up in his faggot face.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 16:01

the run back isn't too bad. pretty standard run back time and only one fall that makes you lose health (which does suck because I'm using a gem that gives me more damage at full health)

but yeah parrying him is a pain in the ass. he doesn't telegraph his attacks very much so half the time you mistime it and get stuck in one of his combos. not to mention he has a fuckton of health. a visceral attack on him does 1100 and that's like 1/12 of his health pool

oh yeah and guys make sure you don't play this game for a really long time in one sitting. you'll get a memory leak bug and all the bosses lose most of their mechanics. i imagine neither of you fellas binge for that long, but just a heads up not to leave the game running for hours on end and shit.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 17:01

oh my god he's finally dead ughhh so much relief. hardest boss of the game so far for me. i swear he was harder than he should've been just because of my gun. it kept shooting higher than him despite being on equal elevation. the shotgun has to be better than this POS

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 17:18

Pistol is faster, blunderbuss & Ludwig's rifle are better for staggering.

I prefer the pistol simply because of the damage, faster fire rate, etc. Same with Evelyn although the base damage isn't as good as Hunter Pistol.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 20:11

yeah I don't care for the pistol damage. it doesn't do enough to make a significant difference. I need consistent staggering so I might grab Ludwig's Rifle.

I think I might have been a bit underleveled for that boss, too. I think I was level 45 or something. my weapon wasn't doing anywhere near as much as some people were in videos I watched after I killed him.

anyway beat
Darkbeast Paarl on my first try. felt like Sif 3.0 (2.0 being Royal Rat Authority from DS2) with an electric attack. decent fight, but really fucking disorienting. I had no idea what I was doing.

but can I just go ahead and say FUCK Yahar'gul? that place SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSS

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 21:14

100% agree about
Paarl

He was so fast I didn't know what was going on.

A bit of advice, do not underestimate your gun's strength. With a decently high Bloodtinge + Bone Marrow Ash, it just wrecks things.

But yeah I'd say Ludwig's rifle is better for staggering, but it is slower to recover from a shot, keep that in mind. Staggers big enemies too, that thing will knock people the fuck out.

Yahar'gul, at least the Nightmare version, is 100% a pain in the dick. Chime Maidens everywhere, constantly respawning enemies until you kill the bitches, etc. The boss there is so incredibly easy it makes up for it, though.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 21:55

yeah just killed him. only took me a few attempts - it wasn't too bad. I admittedly just ran past everything at the chapel lamp because I'm fed up with the fucking chime maidens.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 16:20

Welp, I beat it.

Seriously a fantastic game. A few complaints, mostly all of them being certain design choices, but overall just a great fucking game.

My last boss was
Gehrman
, and holy fuck, easily the most intense fight in any of the Souls games (more intense than Manus, Artorias, O&S, etc.)

Took me like 4 tries but jesus. The lore, the atmosphere, combat, environment... all A+.

At least Dark Souls 2: SotFS is out tomorrow or I'd be upset that I beat this game. ;_;

EDIT: Almost forgot, the Lovecraft shit was awesome as well. I personally find the lore more interesting than the Souls games' lore.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 18:44

hey snap i just beat it too, thought i'd drop in

it's very good. it might have been my favourite if it weren't for the idiotic vials/bullets system. just fucking refresh them, you assholes! the only consequence of this system is if my storage runs out i have to grind for a bit to buy a shitload of them from the hub. what's the point of that? it never even came to that after the early game, but the threat of it was a constant frustration since deaths frequently meant wasted combat flow items.

also how come they figured out how to bring summons through without load screens but you still gotta sit through a load after death? i bet a good technical reason but still those load times made me real salty sometimes

i hate to say it but i'm starting to feel like i'm over the format of souls games—running back to the boss door has begun to feel like a nonsense design artefact. managing your route was a major structural element in demon's, but at this point there's nothing meaningful going on once you've made it to the boss door once. without exception you can just run past everything. it's a waste of time.

that's all my salt. on the upside, while the lows are pretty low, the highs are the highest. so many of my favourite moments of the souls lineage are in this game. it's monstrously beautiful, practically every area and boss encounter is memorable, and the dreadful sensation of tumbling ever-deeper into a nightmare is masterful. what impressed me the most was the boss variety—they're almost all visually and mechanically unique, and even the easier ones like
the witch or micolash
are pretty interesting encounters. in that regard it's easily the most consistently strong game from have ever made.

and what a brilliant final battle. i ended with
gehrman
too—i still want to do a second playthrough to get the 'true' finale, but it was such a perfect balance of relentless pressure without being cheap or frustrating.

re: lore, it's an extremely impressive piece of straight lovecraftian horror in an era where lovecraft is usually mishandled. i find myself more into post-lovecraftian than lovecraftian these days—i like my cosmic horror to exist in implications and fleeting glimpses rather than the full-blown eldritch apocalypses of worlds like bloodborne—but it's an inspired take. it does a incredible job turning things to eleven while maintaining the things so often lost in modern lovecraftia: it's unrelentingly nihilistic, existentially humbling, and grants you only incomplete visions of a baffling, contradictory cosmology.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Apr 06, 2015 23:08

what do you feel is the difference with the runback in DeS and the other titles? admittedly i haven't beaten DeS, but i did the exact same thing in that game as i've done in the other 3.