BloodBorne Commitment

video games are fart
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: BloodBorne Commitment

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 17:32

I should clarify. The gun itself is not inconsistent. If you shoot the ogre dudes right before they strike, you will stagger them 100% of the time. But it doesn't work that way with every enemy, and some enemies seemingly can't be staggered at all. Even with the ogre dudes, not *all* of their attacks lead to a stagger. And certain attacks, particularly jump attacks, are uninterruptible.

So the *application* of the gun is inconsistent. Without knowing in advance, there's no guarantee the gun is going to work. There's not a solid rule about what attacks it blocks and what it doesn't. It's all enemy specific. This is kind of crazy dumb considering how important it is as a tool.

And because of limited bullets and the crazy little amount of health you get in this game, experimenting with the gun is actively discouraged. So it's doubly bad. It's OK if gun interrupts are enemy specific. But if you can't experiment, the gun is unsafe.

That would be OK too, except the game is clearly designed around using it as much as possible. It being your only effective defensive tool and opener etc.

As for bosses, I feel like the other games are more forgiving with damage and stunlock. So even if the move set on a boss is surprising, you have time to adapt in the fight itself. But now, you kinda just have to die over and over again until you've seen all the moves. This is particularly annoying in this game because the third form is always the hardest and it's the one you need the most practice against. This, combined with the long ass loading times and the need to farm vials makes practicing against bosses very frustrating because of how god damn long it takes between attempts.

It should be one or the other. Either you need easy access to try again against an unpredictable boss, or the boss needs to allow wiggle room to adapt in the fight itself.

As it is now, it kinda seems like bloodborne severely pads out the runtime by picking the worst of both options.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 18:00

I'm not feeling much of a difference damage wise, but I also haven't played Dark Souls in probably 2 years. the stunlock was real bad on Cleric Beast though. that dude's stunlock was fucking bonkers. the bosses after I haven't had that problem, but it may be because I haven't managed to get caught in a big combo.

reminds me a lot of Manus from AotA. his 5 hit combo was completely stupid.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 18:09

You don't know stun-locking stupidity until you face a certain boss in the Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon.

He's more aggressive than Artorias. Beat him today, and damn did it feel nice.

I think it's a bit balanced though because you can stun-lock enemies as much as they can you, depending on your weapon. I definitely think this is the hardest Souls-esque game that I've played.
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 06:59

So I just beat BSB. We straight up killed each other. We both landed a killing blow at the last second. Probably the most intense souls boss battle I've ever been in. Dude is fucking hardcore. I was so depressed as I saw myself slowly collapsing to die and then that beautiful green text came up before I could and I got all the items.

The more I play this game, the more I feel like I should revise my initial feelings as hardcore salt. But there is no mistaking it, this game is really, *really* hard. It took me around 10 or 15 tries to beat him. Although I did it on my first try when I switched to the Hunter's Axe just to mix things up. That might have had something to do with it.

The pistol is also just, like, way better. In pretty much every way. Weapon choice matters a lot in this game. I love the Cane Whip but, it doesn't always do enough damage. You need to know when to use the right tools.

I'm starting to understand the gun more, and a friend of mine gave me some good tips about how the game works that's helped me improve a lot. He's fucking breezing through it because he never played Demon's or Dark with a shield anyway, so he's been waiting for a game like this.

Anyway, it felt good to finally beat that asshole, even if it was in the lamest way possible.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 14:42

Lame? You want to know how I beat him that's really lame?

Took me 3 tries.

3 Oil urns + 6 molotovs + flamesprayer.

After I did that it was just a poundpoundpound fest and I prevailed.

Also, the Hunter Axe is probably the most OP weapon in the game, that did have something to do with it. I believe several people on NG+ confirmed that it's the strongest. People who said this game was easy invariably ended up use the Axe.

As for the pistol, yeah. Now I understand why you were having trouble parrying, the pistol has a larger window (kinda like a buckler vs normal shield in DkS).

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 17:52

damn I should've done that. then again I just dueled him outright and did it on the 2nd try. using the saw cleaver tho not the axe

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 18:09

I couldn't go toe-to-toe with him because I was using barely upgraded Warped Twinblades, which are weak as fuck.

But damn, so fun to use.

Tbh the cane is the most balanced of all the starting weapons. Probably why me and Sally had so much trouble at the start.

I seriously can't wait to see what creative weapons From delivers in DLC form.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 07:49

Been rocking the cane and axe equally these days. Definitely leaning on the power of the axe, it's pretty freaking strong under the right conditions. I still prefer cane for most regular enemies though due to stunlock and for groups because of the whip.

I just beat
The Witch Of Hemwick
and
Vicar Amelia
. I found both of them to be very enjoyable, pretty intense, although fairly easy. I beat both on my first try, albeit with zero bullets and vials left on the former simply due to confusion about how the fight worked.

I also experienced the burlap sack motherfuckers for the first time and got my balls rocked and then
subsequently kidnapped and taken to their underground hell city.
I spent a lot of time there because that place is hard as fuck because there's so many tough enemies. It really feels like a late level stage, which is weird to foist on players randomly like that.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game immensely now that my character is a little tougher and I understand the game better. It doesn't help that essentially the two hardest bosses, both pound-for-pound and in terms of difficulty of animations, BSB and CB, are both pretty much right in the beginning of the game. This game is way too hard on beginners and then levels off too quickly a little later.

I still haven't tried a chalice dungeon yet but I think I did enough for one day. It's *crazy* how much there is to explore once you've opened some areas up. I still have like half a dozen places I could investigate.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:16

damn i'm falling behind. i haven't made any progress since like saturday. i spent over an hour trying to figure out where the fuck to go having G-Fro help but apparently i'm just not allowed to get a certain item from lantern houses. been too tired or busy after work to get anywhere since. hopefully get some in today.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 14:22

Like I said, if nothing else works, just get your Insight above/around 40. That's literally the only reason I can think of as to why you can't get that item. You met all the other requirements.

Also KoB, another way you can do it,
What you can do is go through Forbidden Woods, kill the boss there, then go to Byrgenwerth right after and kill that boss, after that go back to the Cathedral Ward where I told you to go right of Vicar Amelia's fight, and that will allow you to be kidnapped by the weird creature, which is the same outcome you would've reached if you had the Tonsil Stone.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 03:38

forbidden woods is by far the most painful experience i've had in a souls game just because of the boss. i seriously can't think of a boss fight more frustrating than this. maybe i'm missing some cheesy tactic, but it feels like an RNG fuckfest

EDIT: aaaaandddd 5 minutes after i bitch and complain on PF and say to myself "this is my last attempt" i beat it.

i guess i was just using the wrong tactic because it wasn't so bad on my last attempt, but i had never died to a boss in a Souls game more than S&O which took me 11 attempts on my blind run. this one took me probably close to 20. i'm just glad to be done with this fucking area. the first half wasn't so bad, but when you fight all the Cthulhu fucks it's just annoying as fuck. they have so much health and it feels like you always have to trade blows

i was about to agree that the game levels off almost too much, but after that shithole i can safely say NOPE. may be different for you guys, but that was tough.

EDIT 2: g-fro said it only took him 2 tries. this game is so wildly different in terms of difficulty for everyone - more so than the previous titles.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 14:43

All I do is when one weapon isn't working, I switch it up. Now, the boss after, like I told you last night, was different. He seems to be a common complaint but he took me around ~6 tries. THAT was an inconsistent boss.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 02:02

Rom down
5 attempts for me. it was like a puzzle boss honestly. once you know how to solve it, it's pretty hard to fuck up. i'll try what you put in the spoiler now

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 02:11

Just warning you, when you get taken there, it is by FAR the most annoying level (though thematically and enemy-wise it's the coolest). I'm not talking about
Lecture Hall
, but the
Nightmare Frontier
, of which the latter is literally right after the former.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 14:52

Yo, FUCK
Ebrietas
. FUCK THIS FUCKING BITCH.

You want to dodge out of her charge attack? Fuck you, you can't do that. You're upset about my absurdly large hitbox? Too bad!

I'd rather fight 8 Ornstein and Smoughs than this bitch. Worst boss fight in any of the Souls games I've played.

EDIT: Finally beat her.

I guess when you're so salty it's hard to beat a boss - last night I was so unbelievably upset, took me two tries to beat her today.

This fight took me longer than any other boss in any other Souls game. Her charge attack is nearly impossible to dodge and takes 3/4th of your health away.

My advice is to upgrade your pistol, get as much bone marrow ash, and aim for her head.

Fuck this cunt, so glad she's dead. I understand she's optional but god DAMN. Fuck that. Yes I'm still salty as fuck right now.