whicher 3

video games are fart
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: whicher 3

Post by kob » Sun May 31, 2015 15:37

well that's not really the issue. it's getting locked into some silly animation by way of RNG and taking damage i can't avoid

i just turned the difficulty down to normal to avoid any hassle

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun May 31, 2015 16:53

Oh, are you talking about the pirouettes and whatnot Geralt does when he attacks?

If so, that's just part of the lore. that's how Witchers fight. Kind of a silly excuse, but I don't mind it.

EDIT: As an aside, Ransom, what are your thoughts on Gwent vs other mini-games? Haven't played enough Gwent to make an informed opinion but dice poker was fantastic. I can see the appeal of Gwent but it just hasn't clicked so far, as game mini-games go, like pazaak or dice poker.
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 07:41

haha no no no. 'for lore reasons, geralt selects a random pirouette animation which is inconsistently related to your distance from the enemy. some of these are way longer than others, which will render your choice of attack timing irrelevant and get you hit/stunlocked instead' is not just a silly reason for such an unintuitive, janky-ass combat design decision, it's not even a reason. man that's total nonsense

imagine if dark souls didn't have separate light/strong attack buttons but you had a 50/50 chance of going through the strong attack animation when you hit attack

witcher 3's a lot better about it. it's still a minor issue but it's not bad enough to trip you up very often.

gwent is bullshit but i love it. i have never played an RPG mini-game that i didn't find either outright bad or just a dumb waste of time, but gwent's the lone exception. my geralt is a huge nerd who basically monster-hunts purely to support his dumb card game habit

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 15:31

I see what you're saying, but I was more or less (in terms of the 'lore' statement) speaking to the reason they put it in there in the first place. They could have executed it better, definitely, like you said. It is 100% more annoying, though. Geralt gets hit waaay before he can finish his spinning bullshit and against nekkers and drowners and shit that's a big no-no.

When REDkit comes out I'm sure it'll be fixed.

As for Gwent, do you also get the feeling that the AI cheats? I mean fuck, I feel like Spaghetti Johnson in Bumblefuck, Velen, who's just a filthy peasant fuck, is just some master Gwent player. Seriously, they're all stacked. it's hard to get better cards when they just pull an I WIN card out of thin air when you're a ball hair away from winning.

And then there are the dickheads with the Scoia'tel and monster decks with Muster. AHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 17:21

nah, i don't think they cheat. it's pretty much a pure deckbuilding game—once you have your hand there's generally a optimal way to play it, so it's all about making sure your deck can't result in a truly bad starting hand. they just have better decks than you can put together early on, and it's a weird game in that many of the starting cards are literally just bad, so useless for any deck that they exist just to be replaced by cards you find later. it's rough and kind of chancy when you don't have good cards, but once i got a solid deck together the AI became kind of a joke.

it's at the point where i'm basically just having fun collecting the cards, because there's almost no challenge left in the actual game. it's possible this might change with opponents in later acts.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 03:41

hmm, is it just me, or did chapter 2 drag quite a bit in witcher 2? the tail end was pretty cool and finally gave some real purpose to what you were doing, but man it felt like a total slog going through it and having to fetch a bunch of shit. they kinda lost me on the whole mist bit as well. wasn't into that at all. a lot of chapter 2 felt like filler when you're going through it. maybe it's just because there are 50 different things going on and most of it hasn't come together yet?

also the rigidity of its world is starting to get tedious as hell. the lack of fast travel, not being able to climb up or down a ledge freely and instead having to run all the way around etc. it wouldn't be so bad if the map wasn't dreadful. trying to figure out where the fuck you have to go through the map is a quest all on its own.

on chapter 3 now though so we'll see where it goes

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 06:04

roche or iorveth?

but yeah chapter 2 starts really strong and slowly loses its own thread. it's also by far the longest chapter. chapter 3 is comparatively super short, you're getting close to the end.

although i really dug the mist stuff in the end. it's essentially a microcosm of the witcher's premise of an ordinary medieval civilisation having to deal with weird supernatural agencies reflecting and feeding upon its own history.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 06:14

ah okay. i'd be lying if i said i wasn't kinda hoping the game wraps up soon because with all the praise 3 is getting i'm eager to play it. i went with iorveth. i've actually been really curious what happens if you pick vernon. probably read up on it after i finish.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 07:19

haha yessss you chose wisely, iorveth's is the most interesting path. FYI that's the central choice of the whole game - it's the most sheer consequence branch i've ever seen in a game, they essentially made two completely different chapter 2s that fill in very different sides of the story.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 18:51

Iorveth's path > Broche's path

Broche > Iorveth

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:32

more like roache

i hated that guy

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:56

Nigga is you surrious?

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 22:04

i am serious

(witcher 3 download is almost done !!!)

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 07:40

i like roche, he's a smart and reasonable dude with conviction for a just cause, but iorveth is a vastly more interesting character.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 16:01

Agreed^

Roche is just such a bro, though. I mean, even if you side with Iorveth, he still helps.