whicher 3

video games are fart
Ransom
CyberDemon

Re: whicher 3

Post by Ransom » Fri May 22, 2015 06:02

i'm 100% on board with you guys about games that waste your time. it's why i washed my hands of assassin's creed and tend to be very critical of bethesda's work. an experience isn't valuable just because it's big.

fwiw i feel like witcher 1 is really the only one where this is a serious problem—witcher 2 is guilty to some extent, but it's much more focused to be point i don't even really think of it as open world so much as a narrative choice/consequence game with some side content. and 3 so far has done perhaps the best job i've ever seen of giving you a world that feels sprawling while resisting the urge to fill it with cruft and busywork like the ubisofts and the dragon age inquisitions of the world. it might be the first time i've indulged in open world side content feeling like i'm still only doing stuff that genuinely interests me, rather than feeling like i'm checking tasks off a list.

while gordon's right in that the landmass is impressive, it reminds me much more of a souls game where almost everything in it feels thoughtfully crafted and meaningful than a skyrim which is mostly dead air & content for the sake of content. of course it's big in a way no souls game is, but it uses its large distances to convey scale for the things within it rather than as an excuse to just cram in a shitload of filler.
Gordon Frohman wrote:The problem I had with TW2 was Geralt didn't feel like a Witcher.
while i obviously disagree about W1 vs W2 in general, i'm with you on this point. W2's depiction of witcher-work feels more fantasy-quest-y and less like witchers are just professionals with a particular set of skills. i have good news! Witcher 3 sells the concept of witcher-work with panache. it absolutely nails the workmanlike way Geralt goes about his business, to the point that it feels like this is what they've been going for the entire time but just couldn't quite figure out how to express it in game form until now.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sun May 24, 2015 03:10

Oh by the way KoB if/when you go back to Witcher 2 (and Saladin if you get to it), grab the full combat rebalance mod: http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/?c=mod&m=show&p=77

It's a massive unofficial mod by one of the developers and it makes a tremendous difference to the responsiveness of combat, plus a million little combat design things. It's still not perfect, but the changes are such an improvement it's basically essential.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Sun May 24, 2015 04:05

will do. i might play it sooner than expected because all the good press witcher 3 is getting is making me wanna give it another shot and get onto the 3rd one.

but i bought monster hunter 4 ultimate and i can feel the addiction setting in

help

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed May 27, 2015 00:19

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD

AHHHHHHH
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed May 27, 2015 00:46

FROHMAN IT'S SO GOOD

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed May 27, 2015 03:31

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nah but frfr, this game is so depressing.

I'm early on but I feel like Nilfgaard's invasion is downplayed somewhat. I love the war-torn battlefields and necrophages running amok but it just seems like, so far, everyone is just cool with them rolling in and taking over. I don't know, like I said, I'm still very early, I'm like level 2 and still in White Orchard (this game has no right being this big, seriously it's retarded) but aside from all that, the atmosphere is so dreadful that it's almost artistic the way they made it. People crying, necrophages feeding on the dead, people being hung, houses burnt... A+ CDPR.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed May 27, 2015 04:05

Yeah, it's super vivid. They do a great job of exploring depressing subject matter in an honest way. Witcher has often felt preoccupied with shades of grey to the point of feeling contrived, but here the moral complexities arise naturally from the situation.

They're definitely not cool with it, but most of these people are just ordinary folks with families to feed. They have to grudgingly roll with it or get themselves hanged. The White Orchard stuff is mostly concerned with the civilian aftermath of a hostile occupation, which for most people is less about whispers of uprising (against the force that just obliterated your nation's military) than it is about petty disobedience and finding a way to make do.

I liked that in that early tavern scene that one dude is like MAN FUCK THIS SHIT and stands up like he's about to do something, but when nobody else does he just awkwardly sits down again

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu May 28, 2015 01:15

hm the quality of the dialogue takes a serious dive in novigrad. some of it is hokey-translation-like in its odd sentence construction. please be a temporary dip

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Thu May 28, 2015 03:03

Can you elaborate? I'm in Velen right now so obviously haven't been to Novigrad but just curious.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu May 28, 2015 05:27

you know how in the first witcher, you can tell what a lot of the dialogue means but almost none of it is said in the way a human would actually say it? it's that style of grammatically-fine english with very unnatural wording. the result is scenes that feel stilted and don't quite get at the tone or emotion they're trying to evoke. velen and white orchard for the most part almost never had this problem, so it's a bit of a bummer.

i'm hoping it's just a few questlines by a weaker writer and not the beginning of a trend where they ran out of time/money to have a consistently high quality localisation or something

it's not like disastrously bad or anything, just noticeable

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu May 28, 2015 13:30

update: yeah it was just a weird writing speedbump in the first few story quests when you get to novigrad. goes back to the earlier standard after that. yesss

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat May 30, 2015 23:07

okay i have begun playing 2

so far it's clicking with me a lot more than it was. i kind of have this Game of Thrones-y feel going on with how the story, dialogue and characters are playing out, which is really cool. the mod seems to make the combat a lot more responsive, but i'm still lukewarm about it. there's just no weight to your attacks. it's serviceable to the point that it's not ruining my experience and good enough to get the job done, though.

but yeah overall i'm enjoying it a lot so far. it's interesting to say the least and it's probably the first game i've ever played where the gameplay is taking a backseat to the characters and overall story for me.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sun May 31, 2015 07:54

yeah man

i had much the same impression of 2's combat even with the mod. the thing that bugs me is how geralt has a bunch of different attack animations for closing in on an enemy, some of which take much longer to hit than others during which you're totally vulnerable, and you often don't have much say in which one he picks! i mean what

glad you're getting into it!

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun May 31, 2015 09:49

i actually turned down the difficulty for that exact reason. i've been taking a lot of extra damage that's outside of my control.

i'm starting to see what you mean by the witcher 2 providing side content that's actually something i'd want to do as well. i did that side quest with the troll under the bridge in Flotsam and it never felt like i was doing a chore - i genuinely wanted to help that dude find out who killed his mate! and the fact you don't have a big quest marker telling you where to go and what to do for most of the time helped me feel like i was doing an actual investigation and not hopping from checkpoint to checkpoint. it's only one quest, but my initial impression of the side content is positive. the fact i actually want to do more versus my normal M.O. in open world RPGs of plowing through the main quest says a lot.

could do without the abundance of shit piling in my bags, though. i like to keep my inventory in games nice and tidy, but i'm not even sure what's worth keeping so i'm hoarding everything i find and my inventory is one big clusterfuck asiogmhjnokp

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun May 31, 2015 13:13

Just use Quen if you're taking damage.

Or, rather, don't, if you want to maintain somewhat of a challenge. TW3, for example, is easy enough without spamming an invincibility shield.

TW2 is easy as fuck with Quen. It's just a suggestion but I would try to only use it in emergencies.