Dragon's Dogma confirmed for PC

video games are fart
Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Dragon's Dogma confirmed for PC

Post by Gordon Frohman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 15:21

http://nichegamer.com/2015/09/dragons-d ... uary-2016/

Hopefully mods will fix a lot of the issues I had...
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: Dragon's Dogma confirmed for PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 16:46

Fuck yeah! So glad they finally did this.

I'm excited for the MMO too. It sucks this series never went anywhere.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Sat Jan 09, 2016 23:50

can anyone give me a rundown on this game? I don't know much about it, but it looks cool. should i keep it that way?

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 02:55

It's a great game and I think you'd like it.

It's very complex, the combat is amazing and the creature and giant boss fights are some of the best fights I've had the pleasure of playing.

Go for it.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 06:21

It's Dark Souls meets Monster Hunter plus a really badass class system, a neat little story and a fun open world.

It is legit one of my top 5 games. Get it, no questions asked

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 17:49

okay yeah this game is pretty cool. it's not compelling enough for me to want to rush right back into the game (yet?) but mechanically very solid so i'm enjoying myself.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 17:54

It's a slow burn kind of game. It starts off pretty mellow and slowly gets *really* intense. The end game and DLC stuff is crazy.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 18:39

what's the general strategy as far as gear and upgrades go? like is gear important in this game and should i find a weapon i like then upgrade it a la dark souls or?

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon

Post by Gordon Frohman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 19:45

There are gonna be pretty direct upgrades (in terms of actual weapons being better than others) to weapons but in general, just upgrade everything you can.

Gear is pretty important but try to keep things light so you can climb the bigger enemies, otherwise the heaviness of armor will tear through your stamina.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 18:41

Gear is absolutely essential in this game. At least for the harder enemies in the DLC. The main game is a cakewalk at high levels.

Upgrade everything you can so long as you think it's worth the expense. Upgrade materials tend to be tiered to the strength of the weapon, so it's somewhat unlikely that you'll regret wasting them on weaker weapons.

Unlike Dark Souls though, there is a very clear progression of weapon strength. You cannot just use whatever you want. The later weapons are exponentially stronger and, later, necessary to dealing with Bitterblack enemies, who are tough as hell.

I also agree with Frohman in the abstract, but not necessarily the specifics. Literal character build, that is, how tall and fat you are, has a surprising relevance to combat viability. There's supposed to be a balance to it but, in my opinion, being as tall as possible and somewhat skinny is objectively the best build.

Your goal is to have the "very light" or "light" weight class as often as you can, and the perk you get later that can make you one weight class lower is great too. The speed bonus is huge, and is way, *way* more effective than a fat, heavy character with lots of armor, particularly on hard mode when plenty of enemies can one or two shot you.

I sort of prefer glass cannon builds in this game though, so I might be biased. I also use the assassin perks and don't use pawns. Hopefully they didn't nerf them again in this edition.

Also, upgrading armor reduces its weight, which is pretty important. And try to balance whether the extra protection is worth the extra weight.

Because, generally speaking, especially on hard, you don't want to get hit pretty much *at all*. So mobility and careful play is way more important than damage reduction.

I'm loving this port so far. It's gorgeous, it's well optimized, it comes with all the cool DLC and it looks like it has lots of modding potential.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Jan 18, 2016 19:01

okay cool thanks. i'm going for a 2h sword wearing primitive barbarian type of dude so i'll probably be lightweight the entire time. the skill system is great, btw

also, is it normal for your pawns to be a lot stronger than you early on? i feel like they just crush whatever they're fighting, especially the magic based ones.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 19:23

It depends on the pawns. If you're grabbing them from other players online, they might be crazy overpowered or hacked. Otherwise, no, that's very unusual. Pawns are hilariously incompetent and usually not very strong unless they're a higher level than you.

Also, while warriors are a blast to play and can be quite powerful, most people agree that they are the weakest, least useful class.

Their playstyle, sort of a hard hitting tank, loses to late game stuff because there's no such thing as a tank later in the game without really careful shield work, there is no armor setup that allows you to tank hits, and not having projectiles means having to beg and plead with your pawns to take out ranged based enemies.

Don't let this stop you from playing them, they're lots of fun and they have decent stat growth. But just know that certain enemies are going to be a pain in the ass.