Dark Souls 3

video games are fart
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: Dark Souls 3

Post by Saladin » Tue May 10, 2016 05:04

For the charge attack, you either need to be really far away or you need to roll 2 or 3 times perfectly. That attack is dumb ass hell.

Worse than that though is his dumbass swing to shoulder rush move. That move is legit like only possible to dodge 10% of the time. I hate that move and his stupid ass anti-punish backwards kung fu kick. Not only is it ridiculously unfair but it looks fucking silly.

It's super weird that we have nearly opposite opinions about bosses Frohman lol. I love dancer other than the grab. Wolnir doesn't telegraph his weakness well enough but he's really cool other than that. And Aldrich is awesome, I actually like the arrows. The idea is his (?) projectiles control the pace of the fight. You have to run away from them. So you have to focus on doing damage whenever you can and then running around to avoid all the chaos.

And then I love the visuals on nameless but he's just a classic hard boss bs. Almost textbook bloodborne, he's like in the wrong game. Pontiff is just irritating. You basically need a good shield because he spams attacks like crazy. The second phase is kinda cool though.

And I honestly don't understand why you like Gundyr. I mean, like everything else in the game, he's aesthetically interesting. Reminds me of Old King Doran from DeS. But he's just like a horseshit DS2 boss on steroids. I'd be interested to hear why you like him.

Haven't tried S&S but I'm interested in making a 2d style DS game so I'd love to try it out just to see how they did it.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Tue May 10, 2016 05:30

Gundyr is pretty cool aesthetically for sure. i just wish they used another boss there. he's very uninteresting mechanically - perhaps only 2nd to Dragonslayer Armour for least interesting boss in the game. if he wasn't total bullshit i'd probably forget he exists. Iudex is way cooler.

Dancer is my favorite boss in the game bar none and one of my favorites in the series overall. aesthetically awesome with thematic mechanics and i like that she's basically a gatekeeper to the last part of the game. the grab is ridiculous because if you don't have full HP there's a good chance it kills you. best way i found to deal with it is just recognize its coming and back up. not even worth risking the dodge because the hitbox is huge.

Wolnir is pretty dope and Aldrich is cool too. i thought Pontiff was cancer the first time i fought him, but on my 2nd attempt i enjoyed it. i realized his 2nd phase is actually easier than the first if you let the clone live. you do need a good shield though unless you're a fucking expert at parrying or dodging. and i like Nameless King quite a bit, but how it goes seems totally dependent on the weapon you're using. with a GS he was hard as shit, but with a fast weapon he's a total pushover.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Tue May 10, 2016 12:04

I like Gundyr because he's a test of my reflexes and my patience, the latter of which I have none of in real life.

To a lesser extent, it's like the Blood-starved Beast in BB, probably my favorite fight in any Souls game. They're both really fast and can punish you for any fuck up.

While punishing for any fuck up can be REALLY annoying, it's precisely why I like the fight - I have to force myself to dodge at the right time, not get greedy and punish his openings. It helps that his moveset (the kick and shoulder slam are sick as hell IMO) and his theme (aesthetics, arena, and that god tier soundtrack) are incredible; I think they're only matched by Abyss Watchers and Pontiff.

But yeah, it's just simply how he makes you learn to dodge at the right time and strike at the right time. As I said before, I <3 Souls bosses that make you dodge around and feel like an agile little mongoose. I didn't think he was unfair at all. I agree that he felt more like a BB boss but I enjoyed it all the same.

Also, don't get me wrong - I liked those boss fights I mentioned, but those attacks were just complete shit to me. I did, however, agree with you Sally on Aldrich's arrow storm. I'm just not a fan of fighting enemies with homing attacks at all. Crystal Sage actually gave me more trouble than Champion G. for that reason. Homing magic is just pure AIDS.

Plus, Champion Gundyr killed DSP like 67 times, so that's a awesome too.
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 00:36

DLC on oct 25th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu1NCPMC7D0

trailer doesn't show much, but i guess that's a good thing since i like to go into these games mostly blind. excited to see what they do with this DLC since it's usually better than the base game.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 15:31

Not super excited for this DLC, DS3 was mostly whatever. I'm more hoping From has something new planned.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 16:50

has the game just worn off for you since you played it? i know you've had your complaints with it, but it seemed like you still enjoyed it overall.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 17:40

It kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. DS3 didn't redeem what DS2 started, IMO.

I did enjoy like 65% of it, and I am glad I played it. But it's in the same box as DS2 for me, even though it's markedly superior.

To me, this series has got to do what Bloodborne did, but even crazier, to stay relevant. There's been too many of these games now, so some more DLC isn't super enticing. There's just not much more they can do that'll actually be new at this point.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 18:36

yeah i'm mostly in the same boat, but they make great DLC overall so as kind of a multi-part swan song for the series i can get behind it. even at its most derivative i still enjoy the games more than pretty much any other RPG out there.