Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

'Improve' the 'community'!
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Saladin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 23:32

What makes you say that? Gaming podcasts seem pretty popular, and they attract people who want to talk about them.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Mon Sep 15, 2014 00:23

it's too saturated of a market and so many of them get nowhere. no one on this site has a presence in the industry and there's nothing that would separate us from the hundreds of other podcasts. you need something that would make people want to sit through 1-2 hours of audio. a podcast is something that works best when you have established viewers/readers. i feel like it's something we could do AFTER we get a portal site running with decent readership, but not before.

perhaps my friends' failures with podcasts and Gamercast's very slow start is affecting my opinion, but i just don't see us gaining traction by starting one out of the blue. i think the best way to get more people to the site is to nag someone in PR for a game we cover and get a really good interview. hell, even an interview with a well-known indie developer like Edmund McMillen would go places. post it places, lots of people read it and hopefully a small % convert to regulars. if not that, the very least we could do is update the search engine tags for this site.

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 01:23

kob wrote:if not that, the very least we could do is update the search engine tags for this site.
This is a fantastic idea, however our admins are highly inactive and am I correct in saying they are the ones that can edit that kind of thing?
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 02:56

Gordon Frohman wrote:
kob wrote:if not that, the very least we could do is update the search engine tags for this site.
This is a fantastic idea, however our admins are highly inactive and am I correct in saying they are the ones that can edit that kind of thing?
Someone needs to poke Ransom on Facebook.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 01:21

Eh, make something that you want to have fun with.You already have a website and a forum, that's most of the work done.

If you wanna make a podcast go for it. It will be fun.

If you want to make a podcast with a viewership make it consistent. You don't have to put out hour long podcasts. Throw something up for 10 minutes and put it on a youtube account. Hell it would take me 40 minutes tops to slap on an image to a mp3 file and upload it to youtube.

If you wanna make stupid videos, and streams. Go for it. Have fun!

Me, I just want more people to come to this forum. Anything that has a chance to do that. Go for it!
Hi! I like fun, and I like posting stuff, and I'm a information addict.
Quack wrote:Daylight Savings is a sale

Aliens
Spider Mastermind

Post by Aliens » Wed Sep 17, 2014 06:01

There is still a "Subscribe with Zune" section under Gamercast
that is scaring everyone away

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 06:37

unfortunately jon none of that means people will join. a podcast just isn't going to do anything, especially if all we're doing is talking about games. there are far too many podcasts that do that. we'd have to have some kind of spin on it to separate us from the hundreds of gaming podcasts

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 06:58

kob wrote:unfortunately jon none of that means people will join. a podcast just isn't going to do anything, especially if all we're doing is talking about games. there are far too many podcasts that do that. we'd have to have some kind of spin on it to separate us from the hundreds of gaming podcasts
Wrestling podcast or riot.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:39

We could all sit on the toilet naked and have a group discussion on games, that'd be tight. (srs)
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...

Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 14:37

kob wrote:unfortunately jon none of that means people will join. a podcast just isn't going to do anything, especially if all we're doing is talking about games. there are far too many podcasts that do that. we'd have to have some kind of spin on it to separate us from the hundreds of gaming podcasts
Actually Jon has an excellent point, which is more or less what I was going to say. You're right that it doesn't guarantee viewers or new members, but that doesn't matter. (To be clear I'm not endorsing a podcast specifically, just the overall sentiment of his post.)

Unless you are a resourceful organisation, a starting point of 'we must attract interest!' has it backwards. Unpaid creative endeavours are best undertaken because it's what you want to do, not because it's what makes sense. The latter may fit better in a plan as a means to an end, but that doesn't account for the realities of self-motivation. That is, you should want to do it even if nobody is listening. You're not being paid, there's no penalty for failure, so the only real power source is your interest in the project. That makes it much more difficult if you're only doing something for the rewards of success instead of the thing itself.

I'd rather we figured out something we all wanted to do and just had a blast doing it. If it attracts an audience, awesome! If not, well, who cares? It was fun!

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:44

haha, don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to be anti-fun, nor am I suggesting we begin a soulless endeavor. we should absolutely enjoy whatever we decide to do! however, "it's fun" is not a solution to the problem, nor an answer to the question originally posed.

if we wanna go for something that's purely for fun then I'm on board, but that's a different discussion than the one being had.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:53

I think a podcast would work well.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:59

kob wrote:haha, don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to be anti-fun, nor am I suggesting we begin a soulless endeavor. we should absolutely enjoy whatever we decide to do! however, "it's fun" is not a solution to the problem, nor an answer to the question originally posed.

if we wanna go for something that's purely for fun then I'm on board, but that's a different discussion than the one being had.
I frankly don't think it is, because the alternative is not a realistic solution.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 17:25

I think that depends on the passion people have for other ideas, but hey! if everyone wants to do a podcast then there's nothing stopping us and something is better than nothing.

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 07:11

kob wrote:haha, don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to be anti-fun, nor am I suggesting we begin a soulless endeavor. we should absolutely enjoy whatever we decide to do! however, "it's fun" is not a solution to the problem, nor an answer to the question originally posed.

Is it like this?
Where this sense of doing an activity with a sense of quality and consistency to counter that fear of creating something that will burn out after a few weeks because the activity is not getting the attention it deserves because it is being crowed out because a lot of other people are doing a similar activity.

Like you're trying to find a hook. Something that would make other people excited and make us stand out in a very quickly.
Hi! I like fun, and I like posting stuff, and I'm a information addict.
Quack wrote:Daylight Savings is a sale