Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

'Improve' the 'community'!
User avatar
Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 8362
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 22:39
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC
Location: DANCE MASTAH!
Contact:

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Saladin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 23:32

What makes you say that? Gaming podcasts seem pretty popular, and they attract people who want to talk about them.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

User avatar
kob
CyberDemon
Posts: 12764
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 14:40
Consoles: PS3 - PC
Location: get slam'd
Contact:

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by kob » Mon Sep 15, 2014 00:23

it's too saturated of a market and so many of them get nowhere. no one on this site has a presence in the industry and there's nothing that would separate us from the hundreds of other podcasts. you need something that would make people want to sit through 1-2 hours of audio. a podcast is something that works best when you have established viewers/readers. i feel like it's something we could do AFTER we get a portal site running with decent readership, but not before.

perhaps my friends' failures with podcasts and Gamercast's very slow start is affecting my opinion, but i just don't see us gaining traction by starting one out of the blue. i think the best way to get more people to the site is to nag someone in PR for a game we cover and get a really good interview. hell, even an interview with a well-known indie developer like Edmund McMillen would go places. post it places, lots of people read it and hopefully a small % convert to regulars. if not that, the very least we could do is update the search engine tags for this site.

User avatar
Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Posts: 10123
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 19:35
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.
Location: Jive, Turkey

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Gordon Frohman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 01:23

kob wrote:if not that, the very least we could do is update the search engine tags for this site.
This is a fantastic idea, however our admins are highly inactive and am I correct in saying they are the ones that can edit that kind of thing?
Image
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...






Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

User avatar
Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 9441
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 06:44
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine
Location: In your sister

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Mr. Smith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 02:56

Gordon Frohman wrote:
kob wrote:if not that, the very least we could do is update the search engine tags for this site.
This is a fantastic idea, however our admins are highly inactive and am I correct in saying they are the ones that can edit that kind of thing?
Someone needs to poke Ransom on Facebook.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

User avatar
Jon0101
Mancubus
Posts: 1734
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 02:46

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Jon0101 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 01:21

Eh, make something that you want to have fun with.You already have a website and a forum, that's most of the work done.


If you wanna make a podcast go for it. It will be fun.

If you want to make a podcast with a viewership make it consistent. You don't have to put out hour long podcasts. Throw something up for 10 minutes and put it on a youtube account. Hell it would take me 40 minutes tops to slap on an image to a mp3 file and upload it to youtube.

If you wanna make stupid videos, and streams. Go for it. Have fun!

Me, I just want more people to come to this forum. Anything that has a chance to do that. Go for it!
Hi! I like fun, and I like posting stuff, and I'm a information addict.
Quack wrote:Daylight Savings is a sale

User avatar
Aliens
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 5948
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 01:20
Location: No, just a robot

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Aliens » Wed Sep 17, 2014 06:01

There is still a "Subscribe with Zune" section under Gamercast
that is scaring everyone away

User avatar
kob
CyberDemon
Posts: 12764
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 14:40
Consoles: PS3 - PC
Location: get slam'd
Contact:

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by kob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 06:37

unfortunately jon none of that means people will join. a podcast just isn't going to do anything, especially if all we're doing is talking about games. there are far too many podcasts that do that. we'd have to have some kind of spin on it to separate us from the hundreds of gaming podcasts

User avatar
burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 5509
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 18:56
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS
Contact:

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by burnfire88 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 06:58

kob wrote:unfortunately jon none of that means people will join. a podcast just isn't going to do anything, especially if all we're doing is talking about games. there are far too many podcasts that do that. we'd have to have some kind of spin on it to separate us from the hundreds of gaming podcasts
Wrestling podcast or riot.
Image
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

User avatar
Gordon Frohman
CyberDemon
Posts: 10123
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 19:35
Consoles: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4.
Location: Jive, Turkey

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Gordon Frohman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:39

We could all sit on the toilet naked and have a group discussion on games, that'd be tight. (srs)
Image
Achilles wrote:...You may kiss my ring...






Honestly you guys, Frohman was an Internet terrorist.

User avatar
Ransom
CyberDemon
Posts: 10621
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 03:13
Location: He'll never tell you now. Never.

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Ransom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 14:37

kob wrote:unfortunately jon none of that means people will join. a podcast just isn't going to do anything, especially if all we're doing is talking about games. there are far too many podcasts that do that. we'd have to have some kind of spin on it to separate us from the hundreds of gaming podcasts
Actually Jon has an excellent point, which is more or less what I was going to say. You're right that it doesn't guarantee viewers or new members, but that doesn't matter. (To be clear I'm not endorsing a podcast specifically, just the overall sentiment of his post.)

Unless you are a resourceful organisation, a starting point of 'we must attract interest!' has it backwards. Unpaid creative endeavours are best undertaken because it's what you want to do, not because it's what makes sense. The latter may fit better in a plan as a means to an end, but that doesn't account for the realities of self-motivation. That is, you should want to do it even if nobody is listening. You're not being paid, there's no penalty for failure, so the only real power source is your interest in the project. That makes it much more difficult if you're only doing something for the rewards of success instead of the thing itself.

I'd rather we figured out something we all wanted to do and just had a blast doing it. If it attracts an audience, awesome! If not, well, who cares? It was fun!

User avatar
kob
CyberDemon
Posts: 12764
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 14:40
Consoles: PS3 - PC
Location: get slam'd
Contact:

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by kob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:44

haha, don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to be anti-fun, nor am I suggesting we begin a soulless endeavor. we should absolutely enjoy whatever we decide to do! however, "it's fun" is not a solution to the problem, nor an answer to the question originally posed.

if we wanna go for something that's purely for fun then I'm on board, but that's a different discussion than the one being had.

User avatar
Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Posts: 9441
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 06:44
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine
Location: In your sister

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Mr. Smith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:53

I think a podcast would work well.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

User avatar
Ransom
CyberDemon
Posts: 10621
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 03:13
Location: He'll never tell you now. Never.

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Ransom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:59

kob wrote:haha, don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to be anti-fun, nor am I suggesting we begin a soulless endeavor. we should absolutely enjoy whatever we decide to do! however, "it's fun" is not a solution to the problem, nor an answer to the question originally posed.

if we wanna go for something that's purely for fun then I'm on board, but that's a different discussion than the one being had.
I frankly don't think it is, because the alternative is not a realistic solution.

User avatar
kob
CyberDemon
Posts: 12764
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 14:40
Consoles: PS3 - PC
Location: get slam'd
Contact:

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by kob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 17:25

I think that depends on the passion people have for other ideas, but hey! if everyone wants to do a podcast then there's nothing stopping us and something is better than nothing.

User avatar
Jon0101
Mancubus
Posts: 1734
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 02:46

Re: Serious Stuff (Improving the Forums)

Post by Jon0101 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 07:11

kob wrote:haha, don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to be anti-fun, nor am I suggesting we begin a soulless endeavor. we should absolutely enjoy whatever we decide to do! however, "it's fun" is not a solution to the problem, nor an answer to the question originally posed.

if we wanna go for something that's purely for fun then I'm on board, but that's a different discussion than the one being had.
Is it like this?
Where this sense of doing an activity with a sense of quality and consistency to counter that fear of creating something that will burn out after a few weeks because the activity is not getting the attention it deserves because it is being crowed out because a lot of other people are doing a similar activity.

Like you're trying to find a hook. Something that would make other people excited and make us stand out in a very quickly.
Hi! I like fun, and I like posting stuff, and I'm a information addict.
Quack wrote:Daylight Savings is a sale

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests