roguelike portal

'Improve' the 'community'!
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

roguelike portal

Post by kob » Sun Sep 21, 2014 05:57

discussion carrying over from this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21765

what do you guys think about a site focusing on roguelike games? more specifically the modern ones like Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, FTL and so forth.

Ransom is right: there really isn't one central site for this genre so the market is pretty open. on top of that, you can talk for days about these games so not only is there a wealth of topics to write about, but a lot of discussion to be had among readers as well. there is a lot of interaction between players. everyone loves to talk about how their runs go, what items they think are good or bad etc.

personally, I think this is the best opportunity as far as a portal site goes. all the components for making a decent sized site are there. plus, we could do a podcast down the road for those who were into that idea in the other thread. it would actually work once we had some content under our belts.

comments, criticism, concerns, suggestions - anything you got related to this idea go ahead and post 'em

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Re: roguelike portal

Post by burnfire88 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 06:12

Reposting.

We could hold little contests bi-weekly to do runs in certain games maybe? Have some sort of point system and at the end of the month tally them up and whoever win gets a small game or something, possibly?

Edit - Not necessarily bi-weekly if we do the points thing, maybe have a run every other couple of days or something I dunno just spitting out ideas.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 07:32

I like the idea in theory, but I'm a pit puzzled as to what kind of content it would actually host.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 07:33

Yes.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Sep 21, 2014 08:23

The-avatar.com or RateofInjury.com are good sites we already own too.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sun Sep 21, 2014 13:25

Saladin wrote:I like the idea in theory, but I'm a pit puzzled as to what kind of content it would actually host.
Easy! Some possibilities off the top of my head:
  • News about & reviews of roguelikes (of which there is an effectively endless supply and variety)
  • Opinion articles discussing the genre/subgenres
  • Interviews with developers? JOURNALISM????????
  • Experiential features (i.e. write-ups of interesting runs/moments within runs)
  • Let's Plays
  • Roguelike-inspired fiction & art
  • The site as a resource: a database of roguelikes! Curated lists! Guides!
  • Roguelike-related gamejam coverage
  • Hosting for roguelike projects
  • Contests??
  • we could make a roguelike
Gosh I could go on

'Roguelike' is in a juicy discussion space where it's a very inclusive term, yet the threads that connect roguelikes are specific and recognisable. It houses a tremendous variety of subject matter without being so broad as to be meaningless. I love this site concept because it's simple, feasible, yet unrestrictive, and speaking for myself I could bash on about these games until I vomit and would get a kick out of doing it. I think this'd be a really fun project.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Sep 21, 2014 15:43

when I initially thought of the idea the kind of content I imagined (beyond the obvious things like reviews and news) is editorials on mechanics and game design. I know none of us, as far as I know, are experts on game design, but I think all of us have a pretty basic understanding of what works, what doesn't work and why. I think it would be pretty neat to dabble in that occasionally, but yeah basically what Ransom said is my envisioning of it. the topics are endless and the community involvement is massive.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Sep 24, 2014 23:44

OK WE DOIN THIS OR WHAT YO

WHATS THE PLAN

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind

Post by Mr. Smith » Wed Sep 24, 2014 23:50

First, wtf is roguelike?
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 00:06

well, a true roguelike is a game similar to Rogue (hence the name). permanent death, turn based battles, procedurally generated levels, RPG elements, usually ASCII graphics. nowadays the term basically refers to any game with perma death and procedural level generation. sometimes RPG elements and usually difficult. I think roguelite is a more apt term, but whatever. some examples of games are Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, FTL, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Sword of the Stars: The Pit and so on. if you don't play indie games you prolly don't know much about them, but it's a very popular genre right now. its seen a massive resurgence and evolution ever since Binding of Isaac. turns out more people love perma death and randomized content than previously thought!

ransom has basically covered why this is a solid idea, but just to reiterate there's seriously a lot of shit to talk about and cover and there is definitely a space for a centralized all things roguelike website

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Sep 25, 2014 00:11

I've never played any of those games. I would still like to help out though.

Stampede
Lost Soul

Post by Stampede » Thu Sep 25, 2014 00:12

would participate/10

Will give me an incentive to play more of my lites that are in my backlog.
KnightofBane wrote:no smith I do not own a shamwow
hehe

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 00:12

check one out on youtube (Isaac is by far my favorite) and maybe pick it up. you might like it.

Syringe
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: OHHHHHHHHHH

Post by Syringe » Thu Sep 25, 2014 04:03

i'm in can we call it acosy.net

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 04:23

let's call it Rougelike and actually be a fashion website

for real though, let's get an index of skills. how does everyone want to contribute? i can of course write articles & roll us a mean website.

hey saladbag are you in? if so i know you work in web: what languages & platforms have you worked with/are interested in?