The MOVIE Thread

General discussion.
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: The MOVIE Thread

Post by kob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 02:10

started The Wire again, about halfway through season 2, and i'm loving it. i had watched the first season and a few episodes of the second season before but for whatever reason wasn't interested in the longshoreman storyline and stopped, but this time around it's fantastic. i'm actually liking it more than the first season. the writing and pacing are excellent. i love that the plot is handled with delicacy. no bullshit exposition dumps. so far it hasn't had that many high drama moments, but i guess that's not really what the show is about? seems more like it's focused on characters and man they're wonderful. great stuff.

edit: ok nvm i lied about the drama. goddamnnnnn

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Apr 05, 2018 06:22

Right on, glad you gave 'The Wire' a second chance. My first viewing of season 2 was a bit rough from what I remember since 2 really does stand out from all the other seasons. I think if you got rid of Ziggy it would be near perfect but luckily, he's not a huge character, I found the story of Frank to be tragically cruel as you can see the societal collapse of Baltimore and the blue-collar citizens in front of your very eyes, also lold how McNulty gets the marine unit assignment. The show is more of a character study guided by McNulty and the bullshit politics from the street corner all the way to the Mayor’s office of Baltimore. A lot of characters/case files are based off real people in the department, many of the actors were Baltimore residents that volunteered to be in the show, so it has the visceral authenticity to it that I’ve never really found from other shows. (apparently Bunk is a real-life cigar chomping detective that drinks like a fish and Omar was based off an actual shotgun toting thief that ripped off drug dealers)

As for the drama, it takes a little while to get going (mainly due to such a huge cast) but once you get to the end of season 4 you’ll question humankind. A lot of the show reminded me of military life with all the interpersonal office relationships and politics that is very real and something I’ve experienced frequently towards the end of my 4-year stint. Got any favorite characters? I seemed to like Lester, Carver and Slim Charles the most. When you meet them, Marlo and Snoop are no good walking nightmares of people.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 22:20

yeah ziggy was the weakest part of season 2 but he didn't drag it down at all for me. season was excellent all throughout. and that ending wew lad.

i'd say my favorites are Bunk and McNulty. they're hilarious together.