The MOVIE Thread

General discussion.
youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Re: The MOVIE Thread

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Fri Mar 17, 2017 23:25

So I saw "Logan" after all, thoughts:

I was surprised to see a remake of "Midnight Special" so soon, so with that being said - sorry, I had to. Well it appears hard R comic book films will be around until we're all dead along with Star Wars. Personally, the new R rating comic trend has its advantages and disadvantages but I think it worked well here in "Logan". Overall it was slightly a bit over the top and bounced all over the place in quality which I'll attempt to break down into more detail.

I thought the action scenes were well shot and the choreography was executed pretty well. It's nice to finally see what Wolverine is capable of and the violence wasn't gratuitous in a cheesy way. I personally didn't like how X-23 was handled, she just felt so out of place and odd. With that being said, I did like how stoic and feral her character was but she was more or less just a plot device. As much as I wanted "Logan" to be it's own thing, it does reek of a new franchise setup, but can you blame me? That's pretty much all we've gotten at this point but just thought I'd mention it. There were consistent pacing issues in between the action which made it feel like it was 4 hours long. I think 30 minutes could have been cut out but just my opinion.

The world building was also a little distracting since its set in the "future" yet everything looks and operates thee same a present day. They did shoehorn a couple of tech ideas but they were comical in a way rather than doing the setting any justice. The villains were nothing to write home about as well, which was a shame. I really wanted to see Wolverine and Sabretooth duke it out one last time but we get... well you'll see. I was like wtf?

As a whole, I thought it was a great sendoff for Hugh Jackman after playing this character for 17 years, gotta give the man credit for that. I really liked the final shot but I just wish it was more well earned emotionally. I didn't get that punch to the gut emotional feeling like it thinks it is. I was pleasantly surprised by some of it and other moments had me rolling my eyes as it reminded me of Origins. Not bad though.

As for "Kong: Skull Island"...

Another example of “does this even qualify as a film?” and a wasted 2 hours. “Kong: Skull Island” is a marketing checklist that semi falls into the “it’s so bad it’s good” category, but I’m not even sure if it deserves that level of appreciation. It’s a highly budgeted and glossed up equivalent of a dollar menu product from McDonalds. The absurd amount of levity and quips took me out of it; I just can’t handle this shit anymore. Why is this a thing now?

It’s essentially a “serviceable” monster B-movie aimed for children with zero character whatsoever and felt like two separate films crammed together in a lazy attempt at storytelling. The only positive aspect I found was how Kong was designed. Much like the recent Godzilla, you could feel the scale of Kong, which I thought was great. He has weight to him; you could really tell this guy is big. (For you)

Don’t even bother, watch anything else. No more Kong films, please.

-edit-

On a happier note, “The Handmaiden” is a really great period piece set in 1930’s occupied Korea about identity and deception. Overall it’s a wonderful film that I highly recommend giving a screening but I’ll simply touch on some of my favorites aspects about it.

I thought the way language was used was very clever. Characters would interact by specifically choosing to speak Korean or Japanese for many reasons such as deception, power, and conspiracy which is a great way to build the ever increasing tension throughout the film. This film is excessive from its style to sexuality but I found that to be in its advantage, it draws you in more and never let’s go, I love it when a film can lure me in like that. It’s a very erotic but done so in a smart way, I would recommend going in blind to see, even the trailer reveals too much, I’d just read as little as possible about it before diving in.

The costumes, set designs and score were also beautifully handled which complements the sense of wonder and awe some of the shots deliver. Even though this film is almost 2.5 hours, the pacing is done wonderfully and it flies by smoothly and appropriately to the story. I’d say this is in my top 5 from 2016 and I can’t wait to add it to my blu ray collection.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Mar 30, 2017 06:30

So "Life" was lame af.

A predictable, unintentionally funny, forgettable rip off of "Alien" and "Sunshine" and probably a dozen other sci-fi films set in space. The characters make unbelievably idiotic decisions (and are scientists?), there are too many distracting conveniences for the alien, Sony being Sony, good material for Deadpool to rip on at least. It feels like the script just captured all the shocking moments from "Alien", without any build up or devotion to a single character, and threw them against a wall to see what stuck from some focus groups perspective, that's "Life". That's the irony of the film, it feels like it's dead inside. Don't even bother, you've seen this done better already.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Mar 30, 2017 17:30

youdiedtooeasily wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 06:30
So "Life" was lame af.

A predictable, unintentionally funny, forgettable rip off of "Alien" and "Sunshine" and probably a dozen other sci-fi films set in space. The characters make unbelievably idiotic decisions (and are scientists?), there are too many distracting conveniences for the alien, Sony being Sony, good material for Deadpool to rip on at least. It feels like the script just captured all the shocking moments from "Alien", without any build up or devotion to a single character, and threw them against a wall to see what stuck from some focus groups perspective, that's "Life". That's the irony of the film, it feels like it's dead inside. Don't even bother, you've seen this done better already.
I think we saw a different movie. The Life I saw had Eddie Murphy in it, it was bad but it was because of Martin Lawrence, lol.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Fri Mar 31, 2017 23:46

yawn

speaking of nig-

"Moonlight" is completely overrated. I guess having your main character being black and gay automatically makes it a modern classic. Who needs a pesky plot or character development.
Reading all these 5 star reviews cracked me up, I must say. I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I’m not going to lie to myself either and just praise the film merely for its content rather than execution of storytelling. This is essentially a white person telling a story about black people to other white people for guilt or something? I’m not really sure. Reading comments stating “this is the best coming of age story I’ve ever seen” is a little eye rolling to say the least. I mean, if that’s really how you felt, good for you, but I think a lot of the praise is misguided and bandwagoned for the sake of it.

Despite it being riddled with clichés and stereotypes exaggerated way out of proportion, I still found some of it to be enjoyable. Unlike most reviews, I actually found the third chapter, Black, to be the only saving grace to this story and actually made me care enough about what I was seeing on screen. Chiron isn’t really a character, he’s black and gay, and that’s it. That’s the investment that’s supposed to carry us emotionally for 2 hours. I found the supporting characters like Blue, Kevin and his mother to be far more interesting than watching a sensitive kid “struggle” in the sappiest ways possible. The “powerful” moments, like the beach hand job scene and the fight at school, were very underwhelming and silly. I thought the way his relationship with his mother and Kevin wrapped up was handled well though. The camerawork kept the film visually engaging and I liked the slow pans to show connections between characters and found that to be clever.

So overall, meh. The whole Best Picture Oscar bit was a publicity stunt and just proves it’s all about politics and not actual filmmaking. Not necessarily a shocker, I know. I really don’t understand all the praise for this film but that’s the beauty of it as an art form. We all experience it in different and unique ways. I found “American Honey” to be a more honest coming of age styled story in comparison from 2016.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Tue Apr 04, 2017 06:26

So I watched "Silence", no that anyone gives a shit, but yeah:

How do you suffer in silence? This film explores the Catholic version of this question. “Silence” is a hard-hitting film about the Catholic faith that works thematically for the most part. The central plot revolves around two Catholic priests discovering the raw nature of persecution when they visit a hostile section of Japan in terms of religious beliefs.

The film is very shocking and well shot, lighting, set designs, you know, Scorsese being Scorsese. I will admit though, midway through the near 3 hours, it kind of stumbles on itself with the Imperialism v Christianity ethos and the cultural representation of Japan and Catholicism and the thematic ideal behind it as a moving plot device. I thought it simply raises a lot of questions that go unanswered, even as thought provoking as it was, but I did find some moments that were quite powerful with personal identity v law in this setting. Damn, those were some hard to watch moments at times.

It’s difficult to see this tale unfold but it makes sense and I admire how Scorsese went there with this story, I didn’t think it ultimately worked like a classic similar to some of his other mob/social commentary films, but I understand what he was going for. I just simply didn’t fall in love with it unlike almost all of his other films, maybe time will tell on this one and I will definitely give it another go once the dust settles. I find it funny audiences are reducing the film strictly to a persecution piece when it fact it’s actually much deeper than that, it just has some narrative bumps that don’t hold up tightly is all. Then again, look at the top 20 grossing films of all time and try not to hang yourself.

The film comes full circle but doesn’t let anyone off the hook either despite what you believe, that’s what made it work.

-side note-

finally got around to "Black Mirror", pretty interesting and sadly plausible so far, I just started though. (saw episodes 1-3)

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 02:24

I'm not like Vinny but man, Your Name. was one of the best movies I've seen. But yall proll wouldn't like it since it's anime lul. But it had such good visuals and writing, and the plot twist was out of nowhere to me since I never saw anything spoiler related so it was so crazy to me. The soundtrack was insanely good too! I just really love this movie so so much and had to post about it here too lmao.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:17

fucking weeb

lol, I really did try at one point, but I couldn't get into anime. however, if you rec it as hard as you do, I'm willing to give it a screening since you really hold the story up there highly and that always intrigues me. is it on a streaming service or do I have to watch it online for free? just being honest.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind

Post by burnfire88 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 07:50

I would GUESS this is ok quality and the same subs as I saw, but try it out on this.

https://animedao.me/watch-online/kimi-no-na-wa/

There's only one plot point that was glossed over but I can understand from the movie point why it didn't get too into. I'm sure you'd understand if you watched it through. It's a pretty large plot point if I tell you about it so I can't really say or it ruins the whole thing ahahah.

BEE TEE DUBS if you don't enjoy it it won't hurt my feelings, I just fucking LOVE stuff like this from a weeb standpoint, and it's not even big titty monster girls LMAO

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon Apr 10, 2017 04:57

I just finished it. Thanks for the link, was nice quality. So, I thought...
The film itself is fairly well animated and has an interesting concept. At times, it does slip into some of the cheesier and cornier elements of anime I’m accustomed to; preventing this from becoming a must see but that’s just me. However, it's an interesting story about two individuals who fall in love despite being separated by space and time, and that aspect is what drew me in as a viewer. It's reminiscent of never wanting a dream to end, desperately trying to go back to sleep hoping that your dream would somehow pick up where it had left off. But you know very well that it won't. The timeline becomes murky; sequences become knotted up, like how Mitsuha's grandmother had so wisely put it: “Time is a knot”. I liked it; the only main thing I would have changed is ending it on that shot when they’re on the bridge during winter and leaving it ambiguous. M-more like this senpai?

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind

Post by burnfire88 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 05:20

I'm glad you enjoyed it! The ending is actually pretty good considering what I've read about the director's other movies. People on leddit have said to check out his stuff like 5 Centimeters Per Second and Garden of Words so maybe check those out. Can't say from a personal standpoint because I've yet to see em. I've also heard that an anime series called Kokoro Connect is the same sort of concept, but once again, never seen it so I couldn't tell you!
About the end, I'm glad they ended up being able to be together for sake of my heart, the movie made me emotional so it was good to see that they ended up at least getting to be together! OH and the scene when he fell in the cave and as he did, looked up and saw the comet, then it went through her life since he just drank the sake she had made, it was so beautifully animated and did a great job of showing backstory.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon Apr 10, 2017 05:39

I'll put those on my backlog but would prefer your opinion beforehand.
I mean yeah, the way it ended was sweet and emotional and all, I get it. I admired how ambitious the story was in general, so when they were on the bridge and they pass each other and turn, it takes this hard cut to black, and deep down I was like *plz roll credits*, *plz roll credits*, *plz roll credits*, *plz roll credits*... that's what gets to me personally with film as an art form is when it leaves you hanging in the air like that. but yeah, good stuff though man. It's actually the highest grossing film in Japan's history, so that's pretty badass as a side note.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind

Post by burnfire88 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 06:08

I'll try to watch em soon TM and get back to you about it! It's just now spring season for anime so it'll probably be like a few months before I get around to it ngl ahahha. BUT YEAH!

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Apr 13, 2017 05:05

So I saw "The Void"...

An 80’s creature feature throwback stretched so thin that it’s really hard to give a shit about anything going on other than muh practical effects! I get the target audience here but this one just didn’t quite work for me as a horror fan in general. Yes, the effects were great and it was fun in that sort of cheese, campy way. The other hour and ten minutes was hard to sit through. I was really excited for this one but meh, the ending could have elevated this idea so much better than what we got, just saying. I think it could have been rewritten to actually make you think and be challenged about what “The Void” could represent but instead it wants to be a mutilation body horror gorefest that purposely leaves out important information in an attempt to be “edgy” which is really disappointing. When I see shit like “OMG its Lovecraftian cosmic horror genius!!!!11” it makes me laugh. Unless you are a diehard B-movie horror fan, I’d just skip it.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed Apr 26, 2017 06:24

Phoenix Forgotten is fucking cancer shit don't even bother. This forum is dead, rip in peace. :'(

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 21:26

hello i am not dead