The MOVIE Thread

General discussion.
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: The MOVIE Thread

Post by kob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 15:28

Baby Driver was on my list for a watch in theaters but i'll just check it out on redbox. i think the most recent movies i watched were Get Out and Split, which were great and decent respectively. otherwise haven't really been watching many movies. there's not a whole lot i'm dying to watch. i guess i'm looking forward to the new Blade Runner. tbh never even saw the original but the style & cinematography in the trailers looks pretty cool so i do wanna see it.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 19:58

I don't watch many movies either. Plenty of good ones but too many eh ones. And I rarely find others have seen them ad well. I find I watch a lot more TV instead. There's at least a good chance there that someone is watching it too.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 03:25

yeah i watch more tv too. started watching Narcos which has been pretty solid so far. excited to see what they'll do in Mr. Robot s3 and True Detective s3 too (Mahershala Ali hype)

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Aug 10, 2017 07:32

Fair enough gents, I went the opposite route, tend to watch more film than TV shows now. I just keep getting my hopes up and anything that is more than 5 seasons I generally avoid so it's tough to get invested. I loved The Leftovers but it got cut so only three seasons, they pulled it off though in the end. True Detective is on my radar though, I still consider season 1 as one of the best seasons in a show ever. We'll see, I just don't have the patience anymore I guess. I'd rather watch a 3 hour classic then sit through 10 hours of meh. I've been writing again so I don't really binge watch anymore and that's a big part of it I guess.

I think you should see Baby Driver on the big screen since the soundtrack plays a gigantic role in the action, the choreography is phenomenal, but waiting for it on a $1 theater is a good idea and feasible. Also saw Get Out and Split and thought they both did some aspects really cleverly and some others really dumb but thought both were okay. I can go into more detail if you want but just wanted to share. We'll see about Blade Runner, you don't necessarily need to see the original I suppose, because of the gap in time, but I'd watch a quick recap of it which I'm sure is bound to be on YouTube since even in the new trailers they call back a few philosophical elements that the original portrayed. aka the meaning of the eye as an example.

I wish I could just lend you guys my blu rays but reality and all that. I'm a bit curious about Mother since Aronofsky is making a return, although the trailer looked odd, I find most of his work pretty solid. I recently watched It Comes At Night and found that to be a decent indie horror, although not quite up there with It Follows or #Horror as far as the recent trend in that genre.

random thought, theater revenue has taken a HUGE beating this year (surprise, surprise -_-). do you think they should operate more like a combination of Netflix/gym and be like $20 a month memberships and you can go and see as much as you want/when you want while still selling high priced concessions? I see that as a way to draw more people in. Streaming services have been killing them.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sun Sep 03, 2017 09:06

I watched 'Death Note' on Netflix, it made me want to kill myself, and I'm not even a weeb. jfc. At least 'Okja' was decent.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Sep 03, 2017 17:05

Do you every go back and watch your favorite childhood films and then wish you hadn't because your adult brain ruins it for you?
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon Sep 04, 2017 05:09

sometimes yeah, usually makes for a "so bad it's good" vibe though and I end up laughing most of the time. there's also instances when you find really hidden adult humor thrown in kiddie flicks that I never caught growing up, mostly about sex.

watching old films is also funny in itself. I watched part of the original 'Bad News Bears' which is rated G and this like little 5 year old white kid calls the team "a bunch of spics, niggers, jews, faggots and a girl." Ah gotta teach them while they're young. But a naked body! BLASPHEMY!!

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Sep 07, 2017 02:04

I remember the Power Rangers movie being really awesome. Now that I'm older I see it for the CGI abortion it is. lol
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Sep 07, 2017 07:29

Oh damn I so want to watch it now, I remember loving it as a kid. I'm sure it's absolute garbage but worth the nostalgia ride. I also laugh how Ren & Stimpy got away with being a kids show back in the day, holy shit how was that even aired!?

in other news, still nothing big on my radar for 2017, what a lame year compared to the last one film wise. I want to see 'Mother', 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties', 'Lady Bird' and 'Bade Runner 2049' but I'm not really amped to see them unlike last years gems.

'Nocturnal Animals' is on HBO now if any of you have it, well worth a watch. 'The Handmaiden' is on Amazon still I believe for free. Both were my top picks of 2016, just thought I'd mention. 'City of God' is also up on all the major streaming services and is one of the best films of all time IMO but it's not an easy watch. Well worth it though if you can make it through it.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sun Sep 17, 2017 09:24

What a weekend.

'Mother!' is going to be one of the most talked about and controversial films for the next decade, but that's why I loved it. I thought it was pretty good, easily one of 2017's best despite what the SJW articles claim. Ignore them, watch it for yourself with an open mind. It's insane.

'IT' actually surprised me, it was decent. It does the book a lot of justice but suffers cinematically so it's hard to effectively judge. If you love horror films I would recommend it, but it doesn't exactly function like how a traditional horror film should, it's more or less a "fun" experience rather than shitting your pants scared if that makes any sense. If they follow up the sequel with the omfg scares I'll forgive it for playing Pennywise a little too safe in this first segment.

'Wind River' was also pretty good. If you liked 'Sicario' and/or 'Hell and High Water', go see it. It's right up that alley of murder mystery. If you didn't like the previous films mentioned, skip it I guess.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 19:55

saw IT last night. i knew very little about the movie since i never saw the original or read the book. was basically an entirely new experience for me. i enjoyed it for sure and pretty much agree with your assessment that it was a fun film to watch. very entertaining, even if it wasn't all that scary (although the premise might have to do with that - clowns don't really bother me). the plotting and pacing were completely off, but overall a fun movie.

halfway through the new season of Narcos. honestly a really damn good show. it took until the halfway point of season 1 to really get into it, but i've been hooked ever since. i love how tight every episode feels. it feels like something exciting or interesting happens in all of them. i don't really have any major complaints. the worst i can say about it is that it'll probably never reach the same heights of drama Breaking Bad and earlier seasons of GoT reached, but that's an extremely high standard and not really fair to compare to since those two shows are about character drama and Narcos isn't. very compelling. check it out if you haven't.

after i finish this show i'm gonna get started on Twin Peaks and see what the fuss is about.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 21:00

I really didn't like how the new season of Twin Peaks ended. The last two or three episodes were wack. It's good up until that though. Have you seen the original?

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 21:52

i haven't. i was told to start from the original so that's what i was planning on doing. bummer to hear though. i've pretty much heard good things about it across the board (both original and new).

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 00:00

The original is good, you definitely have to start there. The new season expects you to remember *everything.*

Make sure to also watch Fire Walk With Me after you're done with the original. It's relevant too.

The whole series is kind of a trainwreck, so the new season isn't unique in that sense. But it was arguably the best so far until the end.

Just be prepared for Lynch stuff, because, particularly in the new season, they don't even try to make it accessible, or even entertaining, in certain episodes.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Sep 21, 2017 05:05

Saladin wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 00:00
Make sure to also watch Fire Walk With Me after you're done with the original. It's relevant too.
This ^

I think FWWM is my favorite part of the series actually now when I think back to it. It's all the best elements of the show wrapped up into a nice bow.

Season 1 was great, 2 was a mess, I still need to check out the third one at some point.

And yeah, Lynch stuff and all that indeed.