The MOVIE Thread

General discussion.
youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Re: The MOVIE Thread

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Dec 31, 2016 21:39

Heh, well it’s my only real hobby and I had to watch a lot through some of my courses, but yeah even I was like damn dude when I looked at my journal.

I understand the theater thing, I usually never go either. I normally just torrent whatever I want to watch and buy the blu ray when it comes out to support the filmmaker. The only reason I go now is because there is a nice theater right across from my office at work so I can just walk over there and they more than likely have a showtime right when I clock out. Only $5.25 a ticket before 4pm so I’m like meh fuck it (ofc a soda and popcorn is thirteen fucking dollars, no lie. I sneak in my own stuff). I hate other people in the theater though, so fucking annoying and ruins the immersion. Why do people have to talk during a movie? Like really? Anyway, haha, I could go on forever with that one.

But yeah, usually when I do my little lists I think they each have something unique to say at least. I always just recommend checking out the trailers and if you are interested you’ll probably enjoy them. All the God tier ones really swept me off my feet as they came as a surprise in quality, I don't get that feeling much anymore but love when it happens! I consider them my personal band aid for 2016 haha. I also go watch all the big ones just for mere office banter but after Rogue One I’m not, no, I can’t sit through this again. Doctor Strange was already stretching it for me. I simply have no tolerance to "just passable" anymore. That’s all they are. In the same boat, other than my brother, no one ever wants to go watch what I want to see so it’s like 95% I’m by myself. tfw no theater falcon. You get used to it?

I hear ya about Blade Runner as well, I finally saw it like a couple years ago and it was really interesting and inventive. And yes, Director’s Cut is the only way to see it (same with most films in general). I am nervous about the totally unnecessary sequel but Villeneuve tends to push the limits of modern filmmaking so I have a little faith, he's becoming one of my modern favorites so when I found out he was doing BR2 I was like ohhhh? He takes some bold risks and chances in his work and they all pay off in my opinion so we’ll see if he’ll have that similar amount of creative control in this one. I couldn’t imagine Incendies, Enemy, Sicario or even Arrival meddled by greedy execs hands, they would be ruined if it weren’t for his style and grit. The studios need to let directors do their damn jobs, why is there so much mistrust? Imagine all the classics from our parents' generation if they had the same amount of interference.

Good comparison with Brazil which ofc is now beloved. There are no creative risks other than independent filmmakers and it never used to be that way. It’s really a shame. Like you said on one of my Facebook posts, what are we going to tell our grandkids what the “classics” and “game changers” were of the 2000’s? You’re right though, unless a major new wave (French new wave vol 2 haha) of filmmaking happens in the next decade or so, it’ll be a dead art form merely just used as a means to consume content rather than invoke thought or a feeling. I really want to hit it hard with writing this upcoming year but at the same time I’m in a mental dilemma about it. Do I write what I want or what will sell? That’s a lame feeling, let me tell ya.

-edit-

random observation over the last couple years. the only positive trend I've noticed, even in some of the bigger Oscar bait ones, is a push away from traditional storytelling and being more experimental or character studies. I think if this catches on that could be an interesting dynamic to storytelling on a wider scale. idk, something I've been seeing more and more of.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Jan 01, 2017 18:35

I just saw Straight Outta Compton. They made the white actors look like the bad guys, said the n-word way too many times, and the story seemed to end too quickly.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 02:36

wow, I totally forgot that even existed. yeah it was completely unnecessary, just marketing hype for Dre's album at the time. plus it wasn't even accurate.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed Jan 04, 2017 04:48

quick update:

Hell or High Water was actually pretty good, a solid 2016 pick I'm adding to my "Good" list for sure.

Just re-watched City of God tonight and fuck, if you haven't seen it, it's a mandatory viewing, I swear. In my personal top 5 of all time easily after not seeing it in over a decade. I think it's still on NetFlix but I don't have it anymore so I can't check. (only have Amazon and Hulu these days bros)

Oh, and Sicario was amazing, considering we were talking about wanting to see it like a year ago lol. Finally got around to seeing it on an actual blu ray instead of shitty torrent quality, great stuff all around.

I'm really curious to see what 2017 has to offer on the indie scene and plan on hitting the Festival circuit this time around, sick of waiting 11 months to watch something decent, for the most part that is. I really want to sit in on some Q&A's that some of my film school buddies got to do and that would be so amazing, I couldn't even imagine talking directly with the director or writer right after the show. I really want to do that this year.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Jan 19, 2017 06:24

random update, ayy lmao.

If you have NetFlix watch Fish Tank and/or The Invitation.

If you have Amazon or Hulu watch Mommy and/or Bronson.

As a lookout for either app, Sing Street is meh, White Girl is trash and Hard Candy is sort of in the middle.

Current year!

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Thu Jan 19, 2017 16:29

youdiedtooeasily wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 06:24
If you have NetFlix watch Fish Tank and/or The Invitation.
The Invitation fucked me up. It did a good job of being mysterious and intriguing and establishing a connection between the characters and the audience...which led to such a fucked up ending, after spinning my head around guessing shit that would happen. Excellent thriller, highly recommend.

I watched The Little Death a couple days ago on Netflix (Canadian). Not sure if it's on the American n'flix. Anyways, The Little Death is a collection of intertwining short stories about couples and their sex lives. Most of each story is interesting, some funny, and some focus on difficult moral dilemmas. It's very enjoyable.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Fri Jan 20, 2017 03:43

The Little Death sounds interesting, I don't have NetFlix anymore but I house-sit for my parents from time to time and they have it so I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm over there.

Heh, yeah The Invitation caught me off guard. That final shot was really cool.

Decided to watch Dredd this evening and it was actually not that bad, pretty decent. It's a comfy action flick with a surprising amount of substance to it.

Gonna start writing again so I probably won't watch anything for a while until something decent comes out, the beginning of the year is always a drag. I'll happily watch anything you guys recommend though in the meantime.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Fri Feb 10, 2017 14:59

John wick 2 confirmed amazing

that is all

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Fri Feb 10, 2017 20:28

I watched "Circle" and it was fucked AF

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Feb 11, 2017 01:32

kob wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 14:59
John wick 2 confirmed amazing

that is all
how was it in comparison to the first one? better/worse? I thought the first was alright but I'm afraid of the sequel curse haha.
Quack wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 20:28
I watched "Circle" and it was fucked AF
I'm all about social commentary style films but I couldn't even finish Circle tbh, it's too on the nose with politics and nihilism. at least you were able to finish it.

I'm slightly curious about A Cure for Wellness but might just wait for it on Redbox, still haven't seen a 2017 release so far and don't really have anything on my radar yet. well, besides The Emoji Movie of course.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Feb 11, 2017 02:09

just as good, if not better. it obviously doesn't take itself too seriously so there's some really absurd moments that end up being hilarious (in a good way). but really we're all just interested in keanu going on a killing spree and it has that in spades - all beautifully shot as well. no lame quick cuts, shaky cam or magazines with infinite capacity.

that said if you only thought the first was alright there's not much the sequel will do to change your mind. it's just more john wick with some fleshed out story elements.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Feb 11, 2017 02:23

Ah, I gotcha. Sounds like a comfy Redbox and beer kind of screening.

I did like the stunts in the first one and I'm thankful they didn't resort to any shaky cam or 5 cuts per second like the other action slop we get these days.

on a side note. is this an unpopular opinion? just curious: Raid 1 > Raid 2.

idk I really like the first one over the second, not to say the second is bad by any means.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Feb 11, 2017 03:24

i don't blame anyone for thinking that. it's much more focused and to the point. probably better on a pure entertainment level because of that.

but 2 is the best action film i've ever seen. like i can't think of a better string of action sequences in any movie or tv show than the last 30 minutes of 2. that kitchen scene is a fucking masterpiece. the rising tension, the visuals of the blood painting the white, and the fucking choreography. so impressive. even though the narrative slows the film down and isn't good enough to justify it at times, the action is just way better than the first. damn i hope he makes a third.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Feb 11, 2017 03:40

Thanks for answering that dude. I think that's why I liked the first one more was because it was more straight forward.

Like yeah, the kitchen fight was so incredible in the second one, but I think they over-complicated the plot so there was a lot of runtime that dragged until the next epic fight scene unlike the first one which was more evenly paced, but again, that's just me. That's a fair claim though, 2 being your overall favorite, I guess it all comes down to personal preference but I understand where you're coming from at least. It's a tricky genre these days, that's an understatement.

Yeah a third would be interesting, I won't lie. I think action is the only genre where I prefer it to just be straight forward in a narrative sense but also sells the actions scenes fairly to us as the viewers and not insult our intelligence aka the natural progression of the fight choreography as you mentioned. I could see a different filmmaker do the entire scene with 9000 cuts and that's the difference.

I still think Fury Road is my current ultimate action kino (with plenty of logical flaws, I know) but I will always appreciate The Raid films for being a breath of fresh air. It's sad when horror and action films are so starved for greatness these days, at least we get a few gems each year though.

also, LOL Quack

"I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers."

Quack
Baron of Hell

Post by Quack » Sat Feb 11, 2017 13:02

Deep right? 3 generations being utilized. Long live Nintendo and my freaky Nintendo chimera