PF Horror Club [Now showing: IT FOLLOWS v THE BABADOOK]

General discussion.
Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Re: PF Horror Club [Now showing: DRAG ME TO HELL]

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Oct 19, 2014 03:41

Wasn't a fan of the movie. I did like the ending though.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sun Oct 19, 2014 04:24

I'm gonna watch it tomorrow after work and I'll post my review but yeah, this was a great idea. high five y'all. sorry my first request didn't seem to be received very well but I was going off of the website.

I did watch Oculus last night and it was a decent mind-fuck. not scary at all but the last sequence I was like wat. just wanted to throw that out there. and the second season of Carnivale is pretty neat.

-edit-

sorry I'll have to watch it tomorrow afternoon, I promise! shit happens.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon Oct 20, 2014 23:07

son of a bitch, I just typed out a huge review and hit submit and my net went down. fuck it, here's the short version. and sorry guys, I'll do some more research before picking something out. I have no idea why it is on so many top 10 lists.
I don't get what Raimi was trying to do here. I suppose he's trying to do a nod to b-horror and Evil Dead but this just didn't work for me. I think I spent more time laughing at it than getting creeped out. The twists and turns were predictable, the "scares" were either crappy CGI or loud sounds and that never works. Clay's mom was the only interesting part of it all. Christine was a boring character and there was no real solid story at all. It felt like someone who is shitty at telling stories is trying to tell me a ghost story but I have a really hard time trying to concentrate. The eyes in mouth thing made me laugh though, I will admit. I think it was some subtext about eating disorders as well. And lold at your review Ransom, it was a good read. Sowwy guys. :(
in other news just finished both seasons of Carnivale. it's really good! I am so fucking mad they didn't do a third, and could have easily been, last season since it was built up so well. thanks for recommending it though, just was a tough feeling knowing there's no real closure to it all.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 04:24

No worries Youdied! I still had fun even though it wasn't my cup of tea. Not a bad start.

WEEK TWO

My turn! Alright so as I indicated in the junk thread, what we're dealing with here is SUSPIRIA, an Italian horror film by Dario Argento. It's apparently the first of a loose trilogy (I believe the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/The World's End kind of trilogy, not the Lord of the Rings kind) called The Three Mothers. It possesses a remarkable visual style that is gaudily colourful and somehow disconcerting even in the handful of still shots I've seen. I slipped one of them into the horror club logo in the OP; I really like how this film looks.

That's all the introduction I can give for this film! I know literally nothing else about it, except that I caught a scene fragment on Youtube one time that lodged it in my mind and which is the reason it's on this list today.

It's not on Netflix or Amazon Instant, but there's an HD version for rent on iTunes. It looks like that's the easiest way to catch it.

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Re: PF Horror Club [Now showing: SUSPIRIA]

Post by Quack » Wed Oct 22, 2014 19:35

Quack's comments on Suspiria:
I enjoyed this film. I especially enjoyed Mark's cameltoe. I never knew a man was capable of such a symmetrical, mystical, unexplainable cameltoe. I enjoyed thinking about how the fuck that actor was able to not writhe in pain in those fucking jeans like that. I haven't seen any older horror movies really. This is pretty much my first one. Knowing that it was from 1977, I enjoyed it. I'm glad I watched it. I was tense and anxious at the very beginning, just because I was worried Suzy wouldn't find a safe place to stay in that storm and in a new country. The first murder scene was fucking awesome. After that, I wasn't scared again until the green eyes in the darkness right before Sara gets murdered. When I saw those green eyes, I yelled out loud: "OH SHIIIT!" Some of the acting wasn't too super fantastic, but I didn't mind. I liked all the actors and actresses and the job that they did. Most of the middle of the movie was kinda boring. When the blind guy gets murdered by the dog, at first I was like "wtf random" but I guess it makes sense that the dog was probably bewitched by the witches to kill the blind guy for "offending" the witches. The ending was ok. I love that Suzy just walks away laughing as if she knows where she's gonna go with no money in a country she doesn't know anything about nor speaks the native language of. Overall, I enjoyed it!

I spotted some Art Nouveau pieces by Aubrey Beardsley in the head office of the school:

I assume these are symbolism for the "Black Queen." I studied Aubrey Beardsley at college, and the funny thing is, this black robbed figure is actually a man (specifically John in Oscar Wilde's play "Salome").

I was hoping the black queen ended up being a man or something for super symbolism.
Last edited by Quack on Thu Nov 06, 2014 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

itsmedan
Baron of Hell

Post by itsmedan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 08:44

Dario Argento eh? I figured this would come from someone like you ransom. Definitely excited to check this one out.
Put the gun
In my mouth
Close your eyes
Blow my fucking brains out
Pretty patterns
On the floor

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29

ug i actually watched this last friday but have struggled to find anything interesting to say about it. i liked it, but mostly aesthetically.
this film is the distilled sensation of a dream becoming a nightmare. i loved that. its visuals are unabashedly stylised, too: even the blood is garish. i couldn't find much to grab on to in the story or the characters, but the film isn't really about those things so much as it is about evoking a mood.

there were bits and pieces of fascist imagery here and there which i couldn't really place. the dance instructor in particular. also upon a cursory reading of some articles written about the film, it turns out that in that otherwise very out-of-place scene where the bewitched dog kills its blind master, the scenery (those gothic pillared buildings) is directly referencing architecture associated with nazi germany. i don't quite know what to make of that.

for what it's worth the scene i caught on youtube that stuck in my mind was the first half of the final confrontation with the witch. my favourite moment of the film, it turns out. specifically, the moment where the witch wheezes: 'hell is behind that door!' as a hand, cartoon-like, grips the door from behind. the combination of sudden, deafening silence as the door swings open and the inhuman appearance of the dead dancer fucking chills me. it's orchestrated perfectly. i'm not easily unnerved by horror visuals, but something about the way that dead dancer looks really gets to me. the lighting, the strange wounds, the eerily flat eyes. i think they literally have fake practical eyes over the top of the actor's real ones, and the effect sets off a blaring uncanny valley warning in my brain that just destroys me.

and what a soundtrack.
ultimately i'm of two minds on the film. it's beautiful, strange, and an excellent tone piece. but that's all i was able to get out of it. i'm not sure if i'm missing something or if it's just a simpler film than i expected. in either case it's a memorable film that nonetheless left me feeling vaguely dissatisfied.

you're next, Quack! looks like you get to pick the film for the actual week of Halloween. NO PRESSURE

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Tue Oct 28, 2014 13:37

lol I pick House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Ransom
CyberDemon

Re: PF Horror Club [Now showing: HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL]

Post by Ransom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 23:24

y u pick

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed Oct 29, 2014 03:44

still need to watch Suspiria, I plan on doing so on Friday. these past few days have been brutal with school and work but I'll watch it and do my review.

interesting pick Quack haha, I've seen it a while ago but I'll give it a whirl.

itsmedan
Baron of Hell

Post by itsmedan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 05:28

The 1999 version..
Put the gun
In my mouth
Close your eyes
Blow my fucking brains out
Pretty patterns
On the floor

Quack
Baron of Hell

Post by Quack » Thu Oct 30, 2014 02:48

I have a really good friend who got me into horror movies and survival/horror games at a young age. I watched House on Haunted Hill with her, and as a child I was really scared, especially because of one specific scene. I haven't seen the movie since and I barely remember it.

I told her that I joined this club. I asked her which movie I should pick when it's my turn. She thought on it and suggested: The Thing (1982), The Fly (1958), and The Exorcist (1973). I hadn't seen any of these movies. I was going to pick one of the three at random for our club.

But instead I had the urge to pick House on Haunted Hill. I don't really know why I had this urge... Maybe because it's one of the few movies that really really scared me. Maybe because I wanted you guys to see that specific scene that scared me. Maybe I because I haven't heard anyone ever mention the movie besides my friend, and thus wanted to share something unpopular or that maybe most of you haven't seen. Maybe one or more of you will get freaked out by it as much as I did BUUUUT I doubt that because I was 10 years old.

Anyways, the 1999 remake of House on Haunted Hill is my choice and I'm sorry if anyone is unhappy about it. If you don't think the movie is good or if you hate the movie (yes those are two different things) then this is your chance to share that. Discuss it. Critique it. Share what you like or dislike about it. etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again considering I've only seen it once like 14 years ago. I wonder if I'll still find it scary or if I'll think it's dumb now. will post my thoughts once I watch it. I would like to check out the original too sometime

p.s. I ended up watching The Fly the other day and I really enjoyed it. I laughed at a few parts but it had a cool concept for it's time. I'm starting to get into older older movies for the first time and I like it

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Oct 30, 2014 06:31

dude i remember my cousin let me watch the first 5-10 minutes of this film around when it came out (must've been about the same age as you, think i was 11) and couldn't handle it at all. i was just like NOPE and fled the room

very curious to see how i deal with it now

fyi those other three films are all stellar suggestions, i will take literally any opportunity to watch The Thing

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Oct 30, 2014 18:03

Which House on Haunted Hill?
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Oct 30, 2014 23:57

the 1999 remake