Hey what's up Dawg? (Generic Chat Thread)

General discussion.
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: Hey what's up Dawg? (Generic Chat Thread)

Post by kob » Wed Feb 21, 2018 22:52

oh yeah it takes a certain kind of person to be a nurse. just the hours and pay are nice - appropriately so for the kind of work they do. my sister works for a children's hospital and it's depressing hearing some of her stories. not even just the suffering of the kids but also the neglectful, moronic parents who put them in those situations. awful.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Mar 01, 2018 03:04

Well if you do work in the medical field, avoid mental health. Last week I was attacked by a patient with a hatchet who had been cheeking their schizophrenia meds. lol
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 21:20

hey saladin OOP question for ya

in my class my professor emphasizes a lot about how having a lot of getter functions can symbolize a flaw in your OO design (i.e. classes doing jobs they shouldn't). not that they can't be used, but she always says to ask yourself why you have this or that getter function and whether a class is doing a job it shouldn't. it makes sense, but a lot of times it feels necessary? this happens a lot when i write classes that contain objects of another class. i write getter functions in the contained class so i can set its data. e.g. right now i have a Flight class that contains a Passenger object and to set that Passenger data i have a Passenger object coming in as an argument and then using getters to get the data and set the current object's data.

i know OOP isn't 100% rigid, but i'm curious your opinion since you work in the industry. would it just be "better" to take in each field separately as an argument and set the data rather than an object which will require getters?

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 07:59

It's hard to say. Every company has its own standards, every team its own preferences, and every project its own performance needs.

Typically, the appropriate thing to do is what's easiest for your team to understand and work with. Whether it's "proper" or not isn't always as clear.

More often that not though, on the job, you're just in a rush to get things done, and details that small aren't considered unless it really matters for some obscure reason.

So I'd say you're fine. There's lots of finicky opinions on CS. Especially at the academic level. On the job, you just do what you have to.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47

Hey guys wants uppe

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 20:43

what's good my dude

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Wed Mar 21, 2018 01:34

It's that duck person!
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Thu Apr 05, 2018 08:53

Living life for me, working on a lot of self-care, etc knowatamean