reading thread

General discussion.
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

reading thread

Post by kob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 20:46

anyone reading these days? I had a huge fallout with books years ago and hadn't read anything since Ender's Game in high school, but my friend got me stoked on reading again and I'm glad I did. forgot how much I loved getting sucked into a good novel.

currently reading the first book in the Gentleman Bastards series, a fantasy story about a group of thieves who get caught up in a big scheme with (who I assume to be) the series' main villain. they steal through deception and trickery rather than, say, breaking into a noble's house to steal a rare gem or something. initially I thought that would make for a worse book, but it actually works really well because the characters and dialogue are so great. I'm not very good with literature terms, but I've heard tragicomedy thrown around regarding this series, which seems pretty accurate. it has a lot of clever and fun humor while still being serious. it took a while for it to really grab me, but now I can't put it down.

also if anyone has any book recommendations fire away. I'm already looking at what to read next. preferably in the sci-fi or fantasy genre.

Lord Rameon
Lost Soul
Consoles: Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Wii

Re: reading thread

Post by Lord Rameon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 18:55

The Count of Monte Cristo might be up your alley if you enjoy deception and trickery

As far as sci-fi goes, the first three Halo novels I couldn't put down as a kid lol

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Mar 12, 2016 22:56

haha sorry Halo isn't really what i'm looking for. The Count of Monte Cristo seems pretty cool, but holy shit it's 1300 pages. is it really worth it?

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sun Mar 13, 2016 00:34

don't read much anymore tbh. although, I do read screenplays of films I like just to see how they looked on paper/what got changed pretty frequently.

since I dropped The Walking Dead show I picked up the compendiums and they are really good.

they are very well paced, violent, and I like the black and white illustrations. never was a comic book/graphic novel person but I highly recommend TWD. it shows you how great the show could have been but meh. the source material was on point. idk why they changed it so vastly for the screen, I mean, I get not all adaptations are going to be 100% faithful to the book/comic/whatever but holy hell they changed way too much.

going to start reading the GoT books after I re-watch season 5 just for mere curiosity.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun Mar 13, 2016 00:59

I tried reading A Song of Ice and Fire a year or two ago, but knowing everything that happened (thanks to the show) killed my motivation to read it. the nuances and left-out plot points weren't really enough to keep me interested.

you should definitely try getting back into reading though man! once I burned through all the TV shows and movies I wanted to watch I pretty much ran out of entertainment (sans the few games I play here and there now). there's so many great stories I feel like I'm missing out on. in particular, The Stormlight Archives is a newer fantasy series that's being highly regarded. take reviews and scores for what you will, but the two books currently out have a 4.62 and a 4.76 on Goodreads, which is higher than virtually every series I've looked in to (even ASOIAF!), fantasy or not. something I'm definitely considering so I don't miss the boat like I did with ASOIAF.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 07:23

Real talk though the first few Halo books WERE great.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Mar 13, 2016 17:33

I still read Star Trek novels.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Mon Mar 14, 2016 02:57

HERE WE GO AGAIN! KOB JUST SHOUTING DEMANDS!

lol, for real though, I need to get back into reading. I'm starting to get frustrated with screenwriting and have put some thought into writing a novel instead. I just love film as an art form so much but with the current state of crap that gets released it's hard to take seriously these days. I started this passion way too late in my life I guess.

I was always a fan of the Forgotten Realms D&D books growing up, Drizzt series and all. I do enjoy fantasy a lot so I'll look into that series you're reading miek.

read almost every Stephen King (or Richard Baachman or whatever his fake name was at the time) book and most of them were pretty good. That's why I liked The Green Mile so much since it was VERY close to the books and turned out to be a perfect film in that context.

other than the usual ones you have to read in school, mostly just read D&D inspired books or horror. I'll see what the modern gems are these days and look into em.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 18:11

The gf is making me read the Stormlight stuff. I finished Way Of Kings but haven't started the second book yet. I also read the Mistborn series and Warbreaker by the same author.

His books are pulpy and feel a little like a Hollywood movie made into a novel, but they're fun.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 18:56

Mistborn is something I was looking into as well because I've never read a Brandon Sanderson book and don't want to commit to a thousand page novel until I know whether I like how he writes. from what I've heard he's pretty straightforward and literal? which I'm alright with because I tend to groan when things get flowery.

what makes his books fun exactly? maybe it's just the reviews I've read, but it seems like people are pretty vague in explaining why his work is so highly regarded beyond his worldbuilding and magic systems, neither of which are of great importance to me.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 19:07

As in, they're just pleasurable to read. They flow well, they build suspense, and they always manage to surprise you just when you think they're getting predictable.

The characters are interesting, if a little cartoonish, and they keep you invested the whole way through.

When I say fun, I guess what I mean is that you will definitely enjoy his books, but they won't necessarily change your life or anything.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue Mar 15, 2016 04:35

sounds like a good time, i'll most likely pick up the first Mistborn book here in a few days once i finish what i'm reading now

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Mar 21, 2016 00:37

okay i'm reading Mistborn and i totally see what you mean Saladin. the characters are definitely a bit cartoon-y and some scenes feel straight out of Hollywood. honestly i was sorta irritated with the first 75 or so pages and was considering dropping it if it didn't get better. not sure if you felt the same initially with this book. it was getting old having every semi-ambiguous line explained in the next sentence as if it was difficult understanding what he or a character meant. i don't mind that his diction is fairly basic, but the lack of subtlety to his writing was a little frustrating. the initial character building for Vin was obnoxiously heavy-handed as well.

but it's getting much better now that the plot is in motion. it was just kinda rough setting the story up.

also the magic system is pretty sweet.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 04:48

The first book is arguably the best but yeah, it starts off pretty slow. It gets much more interesting.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sun May 01, 2016 04:06

so i ended up dropping Mistborn about halfway through. i couldn't get past the writing and Kelsier's attitude really drove me up the wall. i'm sure i'll give it a shot another day, but i had too many other things i wanted to read.

one of which was the first Stormlight book. man you were right that was a blast. a long one and most certainly not without a handful of slow parts and info dumps, but fun nevertheless. i burned through the last 250 pages because i was hooked. the ending was very satisfying while also keeping you wanting to know more. it also might have one of the most fascinating worlds i've seen in fantasy. it felt so original and authentic. the characters are pretty stereotypical and one dimensional, but they're done well for what they are sans the occasional cheesy moment. except Szeth. that dude is just really fucking intriguing. i love that it eats him up that he can't stop what he does.

also the writing is much improved over Mistborn as well, but yeah pulpy is a good word to describe it at times.

basically just a cool fucking book. really entertaining. gonna start the 2nd one soon.