Gamercast of Thrones

General discussion.
youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Re: Gamercast of Thrones

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed Jun 29, 2016 22:43

HBO just reveled the directors for season 7.

No Miguel Sapochnik.

dropped.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Tue Jun 13, 2017 06:40

when GoT starts up next month will you Nigerians post on here again? gonna need some bros to talk to about this with.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 17:50

I will, I'm excited. Although I wonder how much there will even be to discuss. It's a short season, and they're running low on book content.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Tue Jun 13, 2017 17:55

i know the action is gonna be amazing but i'm really curious how the storyline is going to progress with how little book content there is left and all the changes they've already made.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Fri Jun 16, 2017 06:42

whew, well that's good. I feel the exact same way fellas. I'm not even really hyped for it, which kinda sucks tbh, but that trailer was pretty weak in comparison to their others.

I'm just glad at least when it airs we can discuss it on here so that's chill.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Jun 17, 2017 01:22

i'd say i'm hyped for it in the sense that it's just more entertaining tv to watch, but after dabbling into more fantasy i find it hard to care about the world and all that as much as i used to. maybe it's just because i never read the books, but the lore has never really interested me. just makes for fun character drama and action set pieces.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Jun 17, 2017 06:14

name drop some of the other fantasy stories you've been getting into if ya don't mind. I loved the "Forgotten Realms" D&D books when I was younger, hence which is what got me into Baldurs Gate 2 among other RPGs at the time.

at this point, yeah, that's all that's left. big battles, character arcs, white walkers will finally serve a purpose to the plot. I loved seasons 1-4 but 5 & 6 are exactly how you put it, just all about the drama and large scale fighting instead of a balanced narrative structure. As cool as the Battle of the Bastards fight was and all, I still think the Battle of Blackwater Bay holds more relevance to the story if that makes any sense. Simple and clean and to the point is better than loud and flashy given the context, to me, anyway.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Jun 17, 2017 08:26

i just finished malazan book of the fallen two weeks ago. it's a monolith 10 book series but it's the best fantasy i've ever read, and maybe ever will read. this is actually what got me to read the series and does a better job explaining it than i could: https://wordwhiskey.wordpress.com/2014/ ... he-fallen/

definitely not for everyone though. it's a niche series given its depth and complexity, ultimately geared at adult fantasy readers who were tired of reading the same Tolkien worship of the 90s. very much a slow burn with all the philosophy, worldbuilding and character introspection. exposition is light and hand holding nonexistent. you'll frequently be lost and asked to put things together. characters are grey and who is right or wrong is a matter of perspective. i have actually never read a fantasy book that's this balanced in its portrayal of different sides. the learning curve is steep, but foreal there's nothing else out there like it.

stormlight archive is also a really good one. only two books but so far it's great. very creative and tightly written. huge hollywood blockbuster-esque action sequences. a really interesting story/world and a magic system that's virtually science. however it doesn't have that brutal realism of ASOIAF or malazan.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed Aug 02, 2017 06:52

gave up on GoT, sorry bros. it's beyond fan fiction dumb for me now. got way too popular and the writing suffered from this, D&D don't understand the source material or the characters. sold all my blu rays.

seasons 1-3 were excellent, 4 was pretty good, 5 was god awful and 6 was barely serviceable until the end and so far 7 is bordering unwatchable. lol let's "siege" Casterly Rock with light armored spearmen(?) (primary function is for defending a city which was mentioned) and "10 good men" can crack its defense despite its reputation of being impenetrable. dropped. at least the shitty sneks got killed so +1 for that.

just read the books. this is the first time in my life saying that I think lol. so just spoil my shit up fam, I'll still check back to see how this mess will end.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 16:27

I'm actually liking it a lot so far. Given the nature of the story, it was inevitable that the end game couldn't be as interesting as the buildup, particularly since they're completely out of source material.

The siege scene was silly but they're saving their budget for future stuff. And GoT has always been terrible at fight choreography and depicting realistic medieval strategy. So that's not really new. It also isn't that silly to think an impenetrable fortress would have an idiotic weakness. There were many times in history where sieges were broken because someone climbed up a sewer drain, or tricked someone into opening a door, etc.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Aug 03, 2017 05:36

well you have a point, idk I just loved the tone and atmosphere of the first half of the series, the second half feels like some sort of corporate takeover comparable to Disney's Star Wars. that's what it feels like to me. every episode doesn't have to be the Red Wedding, but the viewers demand it so I guess I can't blame HBO. GRRM had PLENTY of time to get caught up but oh well. can't wait for all the spinoffs xd. much like Star Wars. I think the series peaked at Blackwater Bay, that shit was cool. I don't hate the show but I am disappointed of the direction its going since I loved the build so much. this is why I'm not really a TV show person anymore.

"And GoT has always been terrible at fight choreography and depicting realistic medieval strategy. So that's not really new."

Very true. No one in Westeros believes in wearing a helmet or using a shield apparently. These are just minor nitpicks though but it does distract people like me that are into medieval war a little. Like the Battle of the Bastards made no sense at all but the emotional ties to the fight outweighed the technical side, I get it. The tower of joy fight was actually pretty well done, although using two swords is not as efficient as a sword and shield but Dayne was the "best". The sewer thing has happened, sure I understand, but here's the way I would have liked it to play out:

Have the battle become a complete shitshow, after Dany loses a lot of her fleet to Euron and suffers a "win" at Casterly Rock, but only like a couple Unsullied are left while everyone else is dead, this would be a good way to show Dany being a little over her head about the strength of her invasion and how the Lannisters still pose a threat. She's not a military strategist and would be a good reason to ally with the North. Davos can even remind her about Stannis' march against the Boltons and have that little parallel in there.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Aug 05, 2017 05:15

just watched the leak for episode 4, shit goes down at the end. I also want to see how the characters teleport around Westeros so efficiently, do they have waypoints like in Diablo?

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Aug 05, 2017 18:04

it's implied there's a passage of time when characters get from A to B quickly. i guess it's a little jarring when it felt like characters had longer journeys in earlier seasons, but i don't really have an issue with the "teleporting"

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Aug 05, 2017 19:57

I just find it funny is all when you compare the actions to the actual map. Euron has the fastest Armada in recorded history and goes undetected around the world twice! Bravo! I guess that's my earlier season argument, the Jaime and Brienne moments, Arya and the Hound. The best parts were the little mini adventures along the way of their journey, it was interesting and built character. rip in peace.

They spent too much time dicking around in season 5.

I hope the white walkers kill all of them.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 03:13

pretty good episode overall, best of the season. the end fell a little flat compared to others in the series, but was still good overall.

the "teleporting" did feel pretty jarring this episode though.