Grocery Shopping

General discussion.
youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Grocery Shopping

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Tue Feb 07, 2017 04:37

I know this is a random topic to bring up, but given some of the complaints I've had to respond to at work recently, I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts on the subject.

So, here's the initial question: What bothers you when you go shopping at your local grocery store?

Personally, I hate shopping in general, unless I'm in a Best Buy, I'll spend at least an hour in the blu ray section.

When I go grocery shopping I want to get in and out as quickly as possible and really don't give a shit about customer service or if there are long lines, shit happens, life goes on, yada yada yada. I buy the same things every week so I'm zooming down the aisles, don't really do small talk with the cashier (unless its a qt grill) and kinda smile and nod and gtfo without looking back sort of mode.

I've had a cesspool of complaints ranging from a guy wanting a refund on his Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition because he didn't think the models were hot enough, a woman complaining that an employee "cart shamed" her (that one was so fucking hard to respond to seriously), a cashier didn't smile at a customer so they are automatically a racist and the company only hires racist bigots, disabled customer complaining the aisles aren't wide enough so the store is purposely discriminating against handicapped people in some evil scheme, donations at checkout for a police officer foundation are oppressive to black people and racist, a mother complaining that the store hates Hispanics since they banned her daughter from entering after they caught her shoplifting (she even admits it) three times, etc.

So, in return, when you go shopping at your local grocery store does anything bother you in particular? I'm not here to judge or anything I'm just curious. In the future I'll share some of the more "out there" ones I get if anyone's interested.

There has been a substantial increase in home delivery orders within the company so I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. (does anyone use this service btw?)

Thanks in advance.

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Re: Grocery Shopping

Post by Quack » Tue Feb 07, 2017 05:23

I know what it's like working in a very hectic face-to-face customer service job where the customers just want to get through as fast as possible. So I sympthathize hardcore with the cashiers. I've also worked a job stocking shelves, so I sympathize with them too. I always smile at them and make an effort to make sure I make the job most convenient for them. I'll stack my shit on the conveyor belt counter in a good way for them, I'll be fast on my debits, I make sure to say THANK YOU very loudly so they absolutely hear it, I stay far away from employees so they can do their job with ease. Those people work hard and don't deserve to be treated poorly. I have no complaints and will never have complaints

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Tue Feb 07, 2017 05:38

Thanks for sharing, I figured that's how most rational people would behave at a grocery store.

I've worked at a grocery store/retail in the Deli, early morning stocker, cashier and as a Customer Service rep so I know how it feels as well. I can fake a smile very well if that means anything, but I know what they go through also. As a customer I just want to get in and out, I don't need to be pandered to and treated like royalty which seems to be the general consensus across this country and I don't get why. Common decency is good on its own.

That's cool how you make an effort to make the process simpler for the employees which is a rarity given prior experience.

*edit*

Forgot another classic one. A customer bought a 60 pack of plastic cups. They initially state they opened the pack, used one and threw it out, and on the next day, they one by one counted only 59 cups (who the fuck does that?). They claimed we were falsely advertising our brand because we only sold 59 plastic cups instead of 60 and wanted their entire grocery bill refunded. I'm pretty sure that one was a troll but you never know. I still had to reply to it professionally.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 06:39

Honest to god dude, it sounds like you live in alternate reality composed entirely of shitheads. Everything you're saying sounds like a sketch out of a lazily written cartoon show. People around me are not nearly so obnoxious.

I've been extremely lucky and have never had to work any service jobs, which is good because I don't have the temperament for it. I get annoyed very easily by other people through no fault of their own, let alone when they're being entitled dicks.

But it always just seemed like basic decency to do what Quack says. Because, you know, they're just human beings who don't want to be there. The least you can do is not ruin their day.

The other day I was in Best Buy. I never would be normally but someone had given me a gift card for Christmas. It was an unbelievable shitshow in there, it ended up being an hour long fiasco just to get a game they had plenty of stock in. I just sat there patiently, waiting for them to figure their shit out, then paid and said thanks and left. I was pretty irritated, but I tried not to show it. Each individual person I talked to did their job pretty well. It was just the store itself that was fucked. That wasn't their fault.

This is not to say I'm never not "that guy." Recently I got caught trying to sneak alcohol into a theme park. I have a weird personal morality, in that I don't see this as wrong at all. It's neither illegal nor does it hurt anyone, they sell it in the park, it's just sort of frowned upon. I'm actively hostile to the idea of following rules for their own sake, so I break them if I think they're stupid. So when I got caught, security was modestly miffed about it, and I was just kinda nonchalant the whole time, like I had done nothing wrong. That was kind of a dick move, I'm probably one of their stories now. But it was basically impossible for me to give a shit beyond having wasted their time.

Anyway, point being, I agree with both of you. Grocery shopping doesn't bother me especially, although I see the grocery delivery bags at my neighbor's sometimes. I imagine it's just more convenient. One of them broke their leg recently and they probably started then and just got accustomed to it.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Tue Feb 07, 2017 07:09

Well I get general sundries, some frozen items, Monsters, and deli items at Stater Brothers. I try and get there early enough before all the old people start to shop. And I get most of my produce, breads, dairy, remaining frozen items, and chips at Trader Joe's. I like Trader Joe's better because of all the cute gals there and the small talk at the cashier doesn't feel forced.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Tue Feb 07, 2017 07:18

Thanks for reassuring me that these e-mails I get are from the select crazy-folk running amok our vast nation. I get them from every state and have to treat them seriously no matter how insane they are so that's the angle I'm coming from. I get it now though, it's a rare crowd amongst us. That's so relieving, believe me.

Yeah the Best Buy scenario was just management fucking up in that case from a retail point of view and I've been there (when the first Far Cry came out had a similar experience with a pre-order). But as you said, it sucked, you survived, you didn't write to corporate demanding shit. I respect that.

Oh I am totally with you on the theme park rant, although that's a different story I suppose. I have had three flasks taken from me sneaking into club events like that in Vegas and I was pissed, yeah it was against the rules, but it's just the principle of the matter. Why does a bottle of beer cost $10 on one side of the fence when I can get a 12 pack for the same price, drink it on the street, and casually walk right in? Who am I hurting? Myself if anything. Nah, I hear ya on that one. I mean, yeah, if I snuck in booze and sold it to children, that's a different story, but hell no, it's taking advantage of the shitty situation.

As for the grocery delivery thing, yeah, that's a huge customer base which are disabled and elderly people. That's what got it to take off but now it's more of a casual thing among customers to order from home instead of going to the store and waiting in line, etc. I think it'll be the next big thing since I've almost been at the company for a year and home delivery has skyrocketed like crazy on all fronts. Thanks for sharing your insights, and yeah, seems like most of us are in the same boat.

Trader Joe's is legit, I feel ya. That's the point, it shouldn't feel forced. Thanks for sharing.