HL2.exe error

For Half-Life and related games, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Portal etc.

Moderator: Wester547

EMERlCa69

HL2.exe error

Post by EMERlCa69 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 20:48

Whenever I got to start HL2 I get a message saying HL2.exe has encountered a problem, it needs to to shut down. It allows me to choose wether I want to send an error reoport or not to. How do I get it to work. I have reinstalled steam already. Is there anything I can do?

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 22:58

Firstly, are you utterly, optimistically certain that Half-Life 2's primary GCF cache file has finished updating 100%? Be sure to validate your Half-Life 2 GCF primary (likely the content itself and not the actual Source Engine/Materials/WAV/MP3 sound/audio files cache file) cache files.

And secondly, you may wish to attempt a clean uninstall and reinstall of Half-Life 2, not Steam itself.
Last edited by Wester547 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 02:43, edited 3 times in total.

Chapstick
Baron of Hell

Post by Chapstick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 23:31

Isn't there an option in Steam to validate your gcf downloads?
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!

reap3r
Lost Soul

Post by reap3r » Thu Oct 20, 2005 00:46

try uninstalling HL2 and reinstalling it..
Horsepower
Torque
Speed
Power

All in a Roush Mustang :)

Chapstick
Baron of Hell

Post by Chapstick » Thu Oct 20, 2005 00:54

He said he's reinstalled Steam already (which I assume means reinstalling all its games as well).

Open your Steam games menu and right-click on Half-Life 2. Select Properties. In here somewhere there should be an option to validate your game file (gcf).

Try that. Or look for the answer on the Steampowered forums.
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!

reap3r
Lost Soul

Post by reap3r » Thu Oct 20, 2005 00:55

idk what it could be, maybe he deleted a file on accident?
Horsepower
Torque
Speed
Power

All in a Roush Mustang :)

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Thu Oct 20, 2005 14:44

Run a full-skilled virus, spyware and adware scan on your system. Most of the cases a virus can totally screw up certain EXE files. This just what happened to my DOOM3.EXE months ago. The same problem: "Doom 3 encountered an error, and closed. Click to this link to report" etc. etc.
Familiar,eh?
So get my words, and run a complete system scan, including memory, Half-life 2 DVD disk, and ALL hard disks.
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er...never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 01:03

Reactor wrote:So get my words, and run a complete system scan, including Half-life 2 DVD disk,
And just POSSIBLY how would there be a trojan, worm, or virus be found on the Half-Life 2 DVD optical installation disc?
Last edited by Wester547 on Wed Nov 23, 2005 01:27, edited 2 times in total.

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 22, 2005 01:10

Some one who loves 3D FPS wrote:And just POSSIBLY how would their be a trojan, worm, or virus found on the Half-Life 2 DVD optical installation disc?
LOL quite easily Mr Wester. How do you think they make the master discs?

Wester547
Spider Mastermind

Post by Wester547 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 01:22

Paul wrote:LOL quite easily Mr Wester. How do you think they make the master discs?
Well yeah.... there's those non-linear space discs that can do multi-sessions, subsequent reads after the original session, although they can only write data once, but..... it's still not quite plausible.

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 22, 2005 01:48

Some one who loves 3D FPS wrote:
Paul wrote:LOL quite easily Mr Wester. How do you think they make the master discs?
Well yeah.... there's those non-linear space discs that can do multi-sessions, subsequent reads after the original session, although they can only write data once, but..... it's still not quite plausible.
What? That's not what I'm talking about.

Reactor
Imp

Post by Reactor » Sun Oct 23, 2005 15:52

How? Easy. Some of the kids doesn't seem to buy games. They just copy the DVD or somethin'.
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er...never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS

cajoun

Post by cajoun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 16:30

hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and let you know how I solved the problem some people are having with Half Life 2.

In the path C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YOURUSERNAME\half-life 2
you'll find the hl2.exe all alone except for 3 folders of which one is a bin folder.

So obviously the hl2.exe file is all alone and miserable. What I did is to go into the bin folder and copy all the files in it, go back out and paste them into the folder where the lonely hl2.exe files was.

Now together with all its friends the hl2.exe file didnt longer encounter any problems and the game started and played just fine.

Hope this works for other people that are also stuck with this problem.

saintfluffy

Re:

Post by saintfluffy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 02:43

cajoun wrote:hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and let you know how I solved the problem some people are having with Half Life 2.

you'll find the hl2.exe all alone except for 3 folders of which one is a bin folder.

So obviously the hl2.exe file is all alone and miserable. What I did is to go into the bin folder and copy all the files in it, go back out and paste them into the folder where the lonely hl2.exe files was.

Now together with all its friends the hl2.exe file didnt longer encounter any problems and the game started and played just fine.

ya this doesnt really work me, all the files there are read only and i cant change it....what now??

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Re: Re:

Post by burnfire88 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 02:47

saintfluffy wrote:
cajoun wrote:hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

ya this doesnt really work me, all the files there are read only and i cant change it....what now??
FUCKING SAM!
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it