Kinect

For Xbox and Xbox 360 software and hardware talk.
Scythe
Arch-Vile
Consoles: PC, Wii U, New 3DS, 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS3, PS2, PS1

Kinect

Post by Scythe » Sat Oct 23, 2010 13:30

Well with Kinect right around the corner, who's going to get it?
I'll wait and see if it's any good before I make my decision, i'm a bit skeptical.
<33
Ransom wrote:
Mr.Smith wrote:Apple faggot machine.
I imagine this as a little robot that wanders around and collects bundles of sticks and dumps them at your feet
only white, and stylish, and incompatible with most sticks
KnightofBane wrote:i did not touch it other than to put it in my mouth
click this if you're new

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Re: Kinect

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 23, 2010 15:42

I'll be getting it. Less for the crazy games and more for the controller-free operation of the Kinect dashboard, film stuff etc.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Sat Oct 23, 2010 16:22

can't you fuck with it really easily? like if someone walked by and said Kinect shutdown or whatever the command is?

I won't get it. doesn't suit my gaming style whatsoever

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 23, 2010 18:19

My impression is it only accepts , or at least tries to only accept voice commands from users logged onto the system.

But it's not like anything stops someone from turning an extra controller on and turning it off.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 20:15

To be honest, I'm not really impressed by it.

Both this and the PS3 thing are an attempt to breathe life into these mostly dead consoles by borrowing a stupid gimmick from the Wii. Motion controls don't improve gameplay and ultimately, even if they're well-done, don't improve immersion.

Games are a leisurely activity and forcing motion into them is more likely to make them annoying and tedious than thrilling and interesting.

They'll probably make a boatload of money since casual games sell better than anything in existence but, there's nothing to really look forward to.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

Post by burnfire88 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 21:54

Yeah I'm gonna have to say total Eye Toy rip off. Not PS3 Eye Toy. PS2. Sony had that done a long time ago, albeit not so good.
OB_rocks13 wrote:Chill

As soon as you become mod, ban ransom for a day

if you have the balls to do it

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Post by Paul » Tue Nov 02, 2010 16:36

burnfire88 wrote:Yeah I'm gonna have to say total Eye Toy rip off. Not PS3 Eye Toy. PS2. Sony had that done a long time ago, albeit not so good.
I think that's a bit unfair.

The EyeToy stuff, was far more primative, it didn't work out where players were stood, or track your motion in 3D. All it did for look for what pixels were changing on the screen and use that for the games.

So to say "not so good" is a drastic understatement.

azion

Post by azion » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17

Yeah I'm gonna have to say total Eye Toy rip off.

TedTurbo

Post by TedTurbo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:44

KnightofBane - Well stop living with douchebag roommates if they find stuff like that funny. They could easily just press the power button on the 360 as well. If you live with people like that then that's your problem not Kinect's.

Saladin - Since when are the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles "mostly dead"? And for the 100, 000, 00th time, Nintendo did not invent motion controls and they certainly weren't the first to introduce them. Also:
Games are a leisurely activity and forcing motion into them is more likely to make them annoying and tedious than thrilling and interesting.
You say games are a leisurely activity yet getting off of your butt ruins it? What sense does that make?

burnfire - Please do your research on the Eye Toy. People keep ignorantly comparing it to every known motion controlled electronic. I wonder why the Eye Toy comparison wasn't made around the time that Wii was released. I never really saw anyone compare the two.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Mon Nov 22, 2010 22:56

You say games are a leisurely activity yet getting off of your butt ruins it? What sense does that make?
because it's a leisure activity

???

did you not read what Saladin wrote? getting off your ass and doing stuff like what the Kinect promotes is the antithesis of Saladin's gaming preference. it makes perfect sense.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind

Post by burnfire88 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 23:12

TedTurbo wrote:KnightofBane - Well stop living with douchebag roommates if they find stuff like that funny. They could easily just press the power button on the 360 as well. If you live with people like that then that's your problem not Kinect's.

Saladin - Since when are the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles "mostly dead"? And for the 100, 000, 00th time, Nintendo did not invent motion controls and they certainly weren't the first to introduce them. Also:

burnfire - Please do your research on the Eye Toy. People keep ignorantly comparing it to every known motion controlled electronic. I wonder why the Eye Toy comparison wasn't made around the time that Wii was released. I never really saw anyone compare the two.
Eye Toy used a camera to have people control actions on screen. Wii doesn't. Kinect does. Deal with it nerd, whoever you are.

OBrocks
Spider Mastermind

Post by OBrocks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 23:44

GET UMMM
samuelmonaghan_aussie wrote:damn right im fascinated about gay sex
Gordon Frohman wrote:I, Gordon Frohman, am racist.

burnfire88
Spider Mastermind

Post by burnfire88 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 23:50

Dude is worse than some asspie off of /v/ good lord.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 00:50

TedTurbo wrote:Saladin - Since when are the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles "mostly dead"?
Financially, other than the Wii, these next-gens have not been very successful. Neither their consoles or their games sold very well. If you look at the top selling games of all time, or even just of the past consoles (PS2 v PS3 or Xbox v 360), a lot of the older sales were much higher.

And with all of the main titles out of the way, there's not much left for these consoles to do. Hence "mostly dead." I didn't mean to imply that no one uses the console, just that they don't have much life left in them. As per past precedent, it's about time they should be hyping up new consoles or at least dreaming them up. But they haven't made very much money off the current ones, hence the attempt to "breathe life" back into them.

Whether or not they "copied Nintendo" is irrelevant, because they clearly see in which direction the market went. Nintendo made more money than both consoles combined with its motion-control silliness, and that's the reason the other two consoles are following suit.
TedTurbo wrote:You say games are a leisurely activity yet getting off of your butt ruins it? What sense does that make?
Umm, perfect sense? Leisure being an activity that is relaxing?

That's practically demonstrable. People play games because they'd rather not actually do whatever those games require of them physically. It's why people play Madden instead of actually going out and playing football.

And in this sense, motion controls don't necessarily improve the quality of a game. In many respects, they miss the point entirely. Imagine if you had to mimic the motions of main characters in films in order to progress the movie. What are the chances that interactivity would improve the film versus the chances that it would just be a pain in the ass?

Rather than searching through posts to make partisan quips, why don't you actually try to understand what we're trying to say?

If you'll notice, the brunt of my point was not to disregard motion controls on account of laziness, it was to point out that they don't really improve anything. Thus, they're more likely to be annoying than exciting, especially since they rarely, if ever, translate human movements into reliable and interesting gameplay mechanics.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate