STARCRAFT 2 IS OUT GUYS

For discussing StarCraft.
Syringe
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: OHHHHHHHHHH

Re: STARCRAFT 2 IS OUT GUYS

Post by Syringe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 15:49

I gladly preordered this game. And I even tried the campaign! But I got bored of it on the mission where
you have to destroy the infested buildings while defending your base.
The mission was so easy but was SO long. Over 100 buildings? No thanks chief. It wasnt that I couldnt do it, its that I found it to be the equivalent of a grind quest and that sucks. Extending the campaign with needlessly long busywork missions isnt fun.

But, I bought it for multiplayer and I'm enjoying it. Diamond league 76 1v1 and plat league 50 2v2 solo.

Paul
Spider Mastermind

Post by Paul » Sat Jul 31, 2010 19:58

Starcraft 2 rocks. If Blizzard wanna charge whatever they're charging I'll pay it because it is well worth it. Best PC game in years.

And even though I find the Terrans lame and would much rather my Zerg campaign the polish and thought that's gone into Wings of Liberty is simply awesome. And the mini-Protoss campaign is freaken epic.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 07:51

Finished it today, I liked nearly the whole campaign, although the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger.

I understand that, in totality, each game in this series is equivalent to one of the race stories in SC1. But since we have to wait so long for the next one, I would have liked more closure. Still, most of the missions were interesting and the cutscenes were great. They lacked in substance in many ways, but they were still unbelievably well-made. Just in general, the art production in SC2 is incredible. Every aspect of the game is polished, no detail is left bland. They also managed to avoid a lot of the turtle-then-dominate aspects of SP that made SC1 kinda boring. BTW syringe, if you use reapers on that level, it goes very quickly.

My main complaint is something I initially feared when I saw trailers for the game, and that is that it has the taint of Warcraft on it art and story-wise. In terms of gameplay, SC2 is clearly unique and well-done, both MP and SP.

What follows might be spoilers, but it's kind of on the back of the box and alluded to throughout the series so, not really. Still, be warned if you haven't played much yet.

All this Xel'Naga destroyer shit sounds so much like the Burning Legion that it really bugs me. Not just because it's similar to Warcraft, but because it's god damn SPACE. No, sorry, I don't care how powerful this ancient race is, they're not going to destroy the universe or even the galaxy, it's far too fucking big for armies to do that. And then artistically, bright green orbs and tattered cloth on Zeratui, the art style and voicing for the Hybrids and some new Protoss buildings and Zerg units come painfully close to just being Warcraft characters. We're talking about space-faring civilizations here, why are they dressed like that? Lots of small things like that. For me, it's hard to ignore and it's annoying.

Beyond that little itch in the back of my head though, I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a lot of fun and the custom maps are gonna be great.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

Baxterrr

Post by Baxterrr » Sun Aug 08, 2010 03:14

Add me on Real ID Pss-Baxterrr@hotmail.co.uk 8)

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Aug 08, 2010 03:26

Baxterrr wrote:Add me on Real ID Pss-Baxterrr@hotmail.co.uk 8)
So doing it.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Aug 11, 2010 07:46

I've ranted elsewhere, but I'll spare you guys. In brief: SC2's campaign dismantles practically everything I found appealing about the Starcraft story and the universe in which it takes place. It's also got catastrophic writing issues on a basic dialogue level - ones the original never had - and its pacing is muddled at best.

And Christ, that ending is an embarrassment. I can't imagine a more insipid direction they could have taken Raynor and Kerrigan's story arc.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 19:03

Harsh, are you sure you remember the first Starcraft correctly? It was pretty silly too.

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Wed Aug 11, 2010 19:38

Saladin wrote:remember the first Starcraft? It was pretty silly too.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 03:14

I had the same thought, so I actually replayed it a few days after finishing SC2. The dialogue has more pith, the acting is less wooden, the sequence of events is actually compelling. It's still not great, but the execution is a lot more competent. Which is to say, not incompetent.

The original's intro is as good an example as any. Despite its age it has more personality and better delivery than just about anything in Wings of Liberty. It's cheesy, but the entertaining kind; WoL suffers from a droning, self-serious kind of cheesiness and it all felt rather soulless to me.

Blizzard have become worse storytellers.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 03:33

It had some pretty bad moments, some of the stuff on char in particular was pretty crummy, especially that speech.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say the whole thing was too serious or self-important. Plenty of scene had a lot of character in them I thought.

I think the main problem was that it had difficulty introducing plot elements without awkward events and had difficulty ending them without cutting them really, really short. The final conflict between Raynor and his marine buddy, for instance, was like 4 seconds long.

But tbh, I'm not sure what you're talking about with the SC1 dialogue. Some of the Terran scenes are ok, but beyond that I'm not sure which parts of the dialogue you thought were so much better. Infested Kerrigan and the Protoss in particular are pretty damn boring.

Although I do agree about the sequence of events, a lot more happened in SC1 than in SC2

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 05:34

I don't mean to say SC1 didn't take itself seriously, but SC2's attempts at drama are achingly forced. It's self-conscious where the original was earnest.

Also: I'm talking about the fundamentals of the dialogue, not the content. Every time a character opens their mouths, cliches dribble out. They're a crutch the game never stops leaning on. 'Let me in, Jim.' Please. Even the Overmind or the Judicator's dialogue had more weight behind it than most of the mindless gabbling that goes on in SC2.

The point is SC1's dialogue is competent - not the same as 'good', unless we take that to mean 'good for a videogame' - it's efficient enough and it feels, for the most part, sincere. I think SC2's is neither. Everyone sounds rambling; every exchange feels like padding. They use a lot of words to say very little. Perhaps part of the reason SC1's writing was better had to do with the limited space they gave themselves to deliver the story.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 20:33

That sounds about right.

Also, the reason they probably use so much to say so little is because, like I said before, not much actually happens in SC2. The one thing that bugged me in particular was that the effectiveness of your missions seemed lost on the actual universe itself, particularly when you out Mengsk's genocide. The whole game, as a story, is about going to Char to get Kerrigan. Almost everything in-between is complete filler.

The first few MISSIONS of SC1 had more plot, as in more development, than did the entirety of the SC2 campaign.

Well, they have like a year or two to fix the next one, so we'll see what happens.