For discussing StarCraft.
youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

soooo thoughts on HotS?

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Mar 14, 2013 05:39

I'll keep it short.

Blizzards writers are pathetic.

There were some cool surprises in single player but they were so overly anti-climatic. story seemed way too rushed as well, even with the side chats with the NPCs. I wuv you lolololol now let's kill shit. wat. oh hey Zerat... oh wait.

Campaign was a copy/paste of SC2s missions per se just as zerg this time (not the end of the world but there could be more variety), however, I did really like the evolution idea with the zerg units. it really compliments your play style.

I am diggin the new units for each race for multi, swarm host is my new fav zerg unit since the lurker. all in all, it seemed like it tried too hard to be Brood War but wasn't, I just thought it was ok overall. I'm eager to get back into multi now though with the new units and harass strats. not upset with Blizz this time but I do feel like they kinda dumbed down the series, either way, I am awaiting the finale with the Protoss. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

how about y'all?

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Re: soooo thoughts on HotS?

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Mar 17, 2013 04:16

They said they made it shorter because people whined about the story being too long :/
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Lord Rameon
Lost Soul
Consoles: Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Wii

Post by Lord Rameon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 21:56

It's Brood War tiem.

because fuck yea dat story.jpg

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 20:20

I passed on HotS for just that reason. I figured the SP was going to be ok, but nothing to write home about.

And I gave up on the SC2 MP because of the high barrier to entry.

Much like LoL or DOTA2, unless you're only playing with friends, the investment you need to make to play that game and win at all means not playing any other games.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed Jul 17, 2013 04:23

yeah that's what a lot of people are saying, I agree. I gave up on MP after 10 or so games.

I like LoL a lot but yeah if I were to be brand new to it now instead of when it was on beta I would be like fuck this game after an hour. even now, if I play alone, it's a miserable experience.

I think I'm done with Blizzard as well, I really do want to see how SC2's story ends but watching the cinematics on YouTube will most likely suffice at this point. D3 was garbage, WoW ruined Warcraft's story pretty bad. idk what their new projects are and don't care anymore. I don't get how you go from D2/SC/WC3 to this shit.

HotS wasn't a total regret in my mind, but!!!!! it really bothers me former respectable game companies are losing focus on quality over appealing to the masses, and let's be honest, the masses have grown up playing mediocre EA games for years on end.

It's dumb to pay $30 for a few new units when I can buy games off Steam for $10 and put in 100+ hours into it and have fun. dafuq.

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 19:53

Saladin wrote:Much like LoL or DOTA2, unless you're only playing with friends, the investment you need to make to play that game and win at all means not playing any other games.
that just ain't true

the barrier of entry for LoL and Dota 2 are high (moreso Dota 2), but you don't need to read a book to understand it. there are tutorials in place to understand the basics and any deeper mechanics you learn as you go. some guy asked me to stack pull his lane in doto and i didn't know what the fuck that meant so i asked him. he told me the timing and how to do it and through practice i got pretty decent at it. and with matchmaking you're not going up against these ultra good players so you suck and they suck.

though i fully agree that both games end up taking up a shitload of your vidya time because they are so fucking addicting. probably best to stay away in that case, but i don't think the barrier of entry is all that high. it's mostly just learning the heroes which i picked up on while playing. i'm sure you could look into every single hero, but part of the fun of dota and lol to me was learning the game by actually playing it

starcraft, on the other hand, is a fucking pain in the ass. starcraft is so much about mechanical skill where as ARTS/MOBA/ASSFAGGOT games are mostly about knowledge. it's a lot easier to learn and remember what heroes and items do than it is to learn how to properly micro your units and macro your base. the learning curve in Dota-style games is actually fun, in starcraft it isn't. and knowing that if you take any sort of break from starcraft your skills will deteriorate makes it a very intimidating, frustrating game. you HAVE to put a lot of time into starcraft, in dota/lol you can play as casual or hardcore as you like and still enjoy the game.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 20:12

also ydte i am interested to see how d3 fairs when they drop that itemization patch. they're supposedly making loot far more interesting a la PoE and D2 plus some other tweaks to the game. it won't fix a lot of the stupid things blizzard has done like RMAH and that abomination of a skill system, but if things do change for the better there is hope for D3. i'd love for it to be good because the combat in that game is fucking ace. it seems like every ARPG i play falls short in some aspect (TL2 = boring all around, PoE = too many boring skills and clunky early game melee, D3 = shitty loot, RMAH, awful skill system etc)

maybe i just need to hit up D2 again and get my fix

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Jul 18, 2013 00:21

yeah I'm curious about those changes too but after 150 hours on worthless grinding I said fuck it. I did that in WoW already, I don't feel like it in Diablo. instead of the ridiculous rune combo items in D2 you get rewarded with a cardboard box with a cumstain on it.

I just switched to Borderlands 2. D2 with guns and 4 player co-op. works for me lol. also has a challenge/fun balance unlike Inferno mode in D3.

yeah, D2 fix will suffice bruuhhhhhh.

also, lold at ASSFAGGOT

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Jul 18, 2013 00:25

yeah im diggin Borderlands 2, but an FPS will never hit the spot in the way a traditional ARPG will. still a lotta fun tho.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Sat Jul 20, 2013 18:29

grim dawn looks real sweet, but $50 buy in for alpha is crazy