Elder Scrolls V: What Would You Like To See?

For discussing Oblivion.
Darkstorne
Demonic Monkey

Elder Scrolls V: What Would You Like To See?

Post by Darkstorne » Tue Feb 17, 2009 13:10

So we know that Bethesda have announced that a new Elder Scrolls is in production, and is being aimed for a 2010 release. What would you like to see in the next installment? Expanded Oblivion concepts? New concepts altogether? I'll throw a few ideas down first, hopefully it'll encourage you to add your own thoughts.

1) Speechcraft: A gameplay mechanic. It was so random in Oblivion that I really didn't enjoy it all that much. If I was speaking with a person whom I knew loved jokes but hated hearing me boast, I would rather tell them two jokes than just the one joke followed by a boast for example. I'd like to see speechcraft become much more challenging (it was too easy to boost someone's disposition to 90+) and also much more rewarding. If someone really does think you're a great guy, chances are they'll tell their friends and influence their opinions of you as well. Maybe cities could even have a 'disposition' towards you aswell, based on its citizens' dispositions, with a similar setup to WoW's reputation system, as horrible a comparison as that is! But rewards could range from simple friendlier greetings from people and cheaper sales (which is as far as Oblivion's rewards go) to unique gifts such as smith's offering to craft you a unique set of armour, or a unique sword. Lords may offer you a high-ranking position in their army if they feel they you are a trustworthy person (new guilds and factions), or in a democratic society citizens may encourage you to apply for positions of authority, and subsequently vote you in to power.

2) Graphically: So long as buildings have shadows, rain doesn't fall through rooftops and archways (seriously wtf was that about?), and those horrible distant water reflections are fixed, i'll be happy enough!

3) And this is the controversial one. Oblivion is what... 3 years old now? If TESV was built with the pc in mind, then that's another 3 years of graphical improvement to utilize. Considering it won't be released for another two years, that totals to 5 years since the last game in the series. The graphics should be insanely good, and maybe on a par with Crysis. Being a pc gamer myself now, I would love to see this happen! If Bethesda chooses to tailor this title to the 360 and PS3, then they'll be setting limits on themselves. The game can't exceed a certain graphical quality, even though the technology is there to make it so much better. In short, if they made this game with the current console generation in mind, it won't be anywhere near as beautiful as it should be. Like i've already mentioned, i'll be happy just as long as a few graphical blips in Oblivion are fixed, but i'd be much happier if it was a pc release, and waited for the next console generation to arrive before ports were made.

Disagree? Then discuss!

-Darkstorne-

Achilles
Spider Mastermind

Re: Elder Scrolls V: What Would You Like To See?

Post by Achilles » Tue Mar 17, 2009 02:17

I want the Radiant AI to be a little more like they promised for the last game, and much more diversity when it came to conversations and such.

Also I want to see my body when I look down.

Khajiit and Argonians need they're legs back.

Better physics

No VATS.
Fasbook
Achilles wrote: You were always a cartoonist Ransom... unrealistic.

Jet Andre
Baron of Hell

Post by Jet Andre » Tue Mar 17, 2009 15:17

I would like to see more people out and about. That and more density within forests with glades scattered about the place.

Way better graphics. Seriously the people looked like shit in oblivion.

OBrocks
Spider Mastermind

Post by OBrocks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 01:47

Achilles wrote:I want the Radiant AI to be a little more like they promised for the last game, and much more diversity when it came to conversations and such.

Also I want to see my body when I look down.

Khajiit and Argonians need they're legs back.

Better physics

No VATS.
totally agree with the first 3

I like VATS in fallout 3, but it probably wouldnt be good in an elder scrolls game because theres no guns so you dont really need it

also more variety of weapons/armor, not just iron, steel, leather etc
samuelmonaghan_aussie wrote:damn right im fascinated about gay sex
Gordon Frohman wrote:I, Gordon Frohman, am racist.

Cowardly
Spider Mastermind

Post by Cowardly » Wed Mar 18, 2009 17:32

Depth.

10100-1100

Post by 10100-1100 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 01:34

Yea, I'd like to see my body as well. =/ But that about all I can think of right now...

However, I thought of something that made me chuckle today, and maybe this is over-the-top real, but it's just a thought...

What if while out and about in the wilderness your character happens to step in something...unplesent (like Minotaur poo), or was in a sewer, or a cave of goblins for a long time, and went into a city. I thought it would be alot more interesting if that decreased your personality rating, and the people would react to it the same was they act when you're a 100% vampire! Won't talk to you, shun you and won't sell you anything, because, you know...you stink. They could put showers in Inns so that you can wash up! Not only that, the shower would restore your personality, and even repair half damage to your armor (less money to spend a ta shop, no?).

I know it sounds a bit too comical to consider, but it just crossed my mind and I thought I'd share. :cute:

Darkstorne
Demonic Monkey

Post by Darkstorne » Wed May 27, 2009 23:40

Jet Andre wrote:I would like to see more people out and about. That and more density within forests with glades scattered about the place.

Way better graphics. Seriously the people looked like shit in oblivion.
Very true. Towns do not have a total population of 20 people. Assassin's Creed proved that consoles are more than capable of showing up to 100 people on screen, each rendered with amazin graphics, and with full shadows. But for some reason, the Oblivion engine struggles when you even have 10 people on screen. I play with a GTX280 and I still get incredible stuttering when i'm in the market district at day time, thanks to those 10 people wandering around. Granted i'm using a lot of graphical enhancement mods, but it's still weird to see it struggle so much. Busy towns would definitely add to the immersion factor.

Oh, and caravans. I'd like to see those travelling from town to town on trading routes, with the option to join one as a guard for some easy mercenary gold. Or... ambush a caravan, loot it, and fence the goods? Hmmm.

-Darkstorne-

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Sun Aug 30, 2009 02:05

Children.

Arteriorrhexis
Pinky Demon

Post by Arteriorrhexis » Sun Aug 30, 2009 02:10

I want everything from Morrowind but with the graphics and physics and all that flashy shit of Oblivion...
That would make the best game evar.
shaobup332417 wrote:is jordan shoes good enough for play basketball?