Looking back at Oblivion, still the awesome game?

For discussing Oblivion.
Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Re: Looking back at Oblivion, still the awesome game?

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Jan 17, 2010 19:42

Aid for Burma was by far the most fucking annoying quest ever. Best quest ever was that insane wood elf that wanted me to kill these people. I forget the name of the quest but it was funny.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Sun Jan 17, 2010 20:06

Yeah the main quest was annoying I agree
I've only done it through all the way once. The only reason i'll do any of it again is so I can do the Hermaeus Mora thing.
Mr. Smith wrote:Aid for Burma was by far the most fucking annoying quest ever. Best quest ever was that insane wood elf that wanted me to kill these people. I forget the name of the quest but it was funny.
Paranoia. Yeah Glarthir is crazy.

Damondo
Arachnotron

Post by Damondo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 15:58

The only thing I would have wanted to see changed were the bland dungeons. If you saw one, you saw them all. Otherwise, best game of all time for me.

Megaman
Imp

Post by Megaman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 09:30

Oblivion and Morrowind were the best darn games of my early teenage years, heck I miss those years so badly; that feeling of the openess and discovery, this lone bad ass dark elf wandering the rocky and desertred planes of vvardenfell and then a few years later, cyrodill. I look at my little bro now who's the age I was when I first picked up Morrowind and he's sitting there playing shitty old RuneScape, I'm like bro (12), you're seriously missing out on the world's best RPG's, you'll regret pal.

So yeah, it will always be awesome, these rpgs were the stuff of legends. I just hope that TES:V will come out one day, all glory will surely be relived. =)

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 15:45

I was like your younger brother. Eventually my older brother introduced me to Morrowind and Oblivion. Now i'm like
wats runescape

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 17:43

Oblivion was a great game. But like Morrowind, without mods it was pretty fucking boring. WITH mods it was pretty damn amazing.

But its depth was illusory and shallow, you couldn't lose yourself in the world because there was too much about it that broke your immersion. Too much about the game was based on that basic social engine so a lot of even the main quest felt like a mod and not like a professionally developed game. I still played the game a shitload and some of the newer mods that have come out for it are freaking awesome, but the game's kinda done to death for me.

Its combat isn't that compelling and its quests don't feel very real, so it's more of a footnote for me than game of the decade.

Personally, I think Fallout 3 was an improvement on Oblivion in every feasible way.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 18:27

agreed with your Oblivion assessment, but I found Morrowind to be a lot more enjoyable without mods than Oblivion. it had a solid story and the continent was damn beautiful. that was probably the biggest fuck up for Oblivion. it was Green Hills: The Hiking Game. don't forget the Oblivion gates. ugh god the palette was so cliche and uninteresting D:

I couldn't even trudge through Fallout 3 without having nightmares of Oblivion. way too similar for my tastes (I'm not a big fan of post-apocalyptic setting but Rage does look interesting). I may pick it up again if I find myself horribly bored.

Damondo
Arachnotron

Post by Damondo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 18:35

KnightofBane wrote:Oblivion. it was Green Hills: The Hiking Game.
Yeah I agree. Also the dungeons all looked the same. As if they couldnt find any more textures and shit. Seen one, seen em all.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 18:38

I've always thought their leveling system was the most arbitrary, unnecessary thing ever designed. not only is it a bad way to level, but monsters scaling with your level meant you felt like a pawn the entire game. never advancing.

thank god for that leveling mod.

Megaman
Imp

Post by Megaman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 00:28

Morrowind was for me a game completed without mods cos I had it on the Xbox and holy crap the loading took ages, but I held in there. Oblivion, I got for the PC and that was a gate to Gigabytes worth of Mods, thank god for Tesnexus.

The caves and dungeons in Morrowind were a hell of a lot scarier than Oblivion's for sure. Those spooky sounds and the whole ritual thing with the skulls and candles made it very epic indeed. Heck, Morrowind was the shit, it was the whole feeling to it, that native feeling that you're really an outlander and not wanted...at all, I had no idea what this game would hold, no hype, no spoilers (I err managed to spoil Oblivion for myself, plus I over-hyped myself, all that waiting...) but anyways, if it wasn't for Morrowind then there wouldn't have been Oblivion for me.

I didn't even associate Fallout 3 with Oblivion, I personally didn't see much resemblance.

...And I'll get my bro to play it!

Quack
Baron of Hell

Post by Quack » Fri Apr 23, 2010 01:29

Unfortunately the lore for Cyrodiil didn't have enough variations in setting/culture/etc for there to be a pretty and diverse atmosphere/dungeons/etc. Shivering Isles had some nice diverse shit, but was all pretty over-the-top.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Fri Apr 23, 2010 02:26

it was too glossy for my tastes. everything about Oblivion. it just seemed like every other fantasy setting.

just a huge letdown, really.

Quack
Baron of Hell

Post by Quack » Fri Apr 23, 2010 02:35

KnightofBane wrote:it was too glossy
and morrowind was the opposite

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Fri Apr 23, 2010 02:46

yeah but you could attribute that to the game's age.

the environment was just better that's all.

Quack
Baron of Hell

Post by Quack » Fri Apr 23, 2010 02:53

I agree.
Has there ever been any elder scrolls rp's on pofo?