It was a dark and stormy [READING THREAD]

Create every day.
Jon0101
Mancubus

Re: It was a dark and stormy [READING THREAD]

Post by Jon0101 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 08:04

I'm reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It's got some some funny characters. They have this over educated tennis genius kid, and a pot smoker who hates pot smoking, and a real classy burglar, but I'm only at the beginning and it's still building up to things. Also it has assassins who are in wheel chairs.
Hi! I like fun, and I like posting stuff, and I'm a information addict.
Quack wrote:Daylight Savings is a sale

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Fri Dec 20, 2013 23:03

I'm currently reading White Noise by Don DeLillo.

My Illustration teacher (Katherine) and Typography teacher (Greg) have decided to create a hybrid project between the two courses. The project is to create a book jacket design from a list of existing 20th century novels, and to include (a scan of) an analogue illustration that you will produce and then to layout the rest of the book jacked design digitally. At the end of the semester that just ended, our typography teacher had us each pick a novel from the list he provided, and then we showed him our preliminary ideas/roughs/thumbnails. When he showed us the list, he said to the class, "One of the books on this list is my favourite book. I will not tell you which one it is. However, if by chance you pick the book, and create a book jacket design for it that I think is a better design that I could ever make, you can have my job." I don't want to steal his job from him. He's by far the best teacher we have right now. And he's obviously joking probably maybe definitely. Anyways, I felt like being challenged, and I caught up with him in the hall after class and I said to him, "Hey Greggers, you are GOING to tell me your favourite book because– " and then he tried to interrupt me but I literally put my hand in his face and I continued talking, "BECAUSE I want the challenge, not because I want your job, but because I really want the challenge, I want to pretend you're my client and you're hiring me to design a book jacket for your favourite book, and I want you to tell me all your favourite things about the book and I want to translate that onto the book jacket design cover..." Then he put his hand up to MY face and he said, "I'll be right back." He quickly walked to his office which was very close by. A minute later he came out and handed me a folded piece of paper which I could tell was organic and recycled blahblah. I took the piece of paper, keeping it folded, and shook his hand, and without speaking we walked in separate directions.

I unfolded the piece of paper and found 4 book titles written in a fancy calligraphic style. They were:
1) Portnoy's Complaint
2) A Handful of Dust
3) White Noise
4) The Big Sleep

I was playing Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Which of the following is Greg Smith's favourite book? I knew I only had one lifeline. The other teachers didn't know his favourite book. My peers obviously didn't know. He himself absolutely will not tell me. I knew he was married, and he's talked in class about how his wife uses twitter and vine and "all the cool internet social programs," and how he keeps regrettably letting her show him how to use them. The only other thing I knew about his wife was that she was a librarian. This was my Who Wants To Be A Millionaire lifeline: ask his librarian wife what his favourite book is. She has to know! She's his wife and a LIBRARIAN. I went on Greg's vine (he always likes his own videos, and they're all of his pet rabbit, and he always comments on his own vine videos saying things like "I like this video" or "this video is the bomb." It's really funny) So I went to his vine profile, looked at his activity, and saw that he liked a lot of vine videos from an account called "Appleby Library." I did some research, found the phone number for the library, but was way to chicken to call it. I ended up finding out that the twitter account for the Appleby Library is run completely by Greg's wife, Gale.

https://twitter.com/qjrickard/status/406063201453760513

She never responded to my tweet. Did Greg warn his wife not to tell anyone his favourite book?

Anyways, I ended up reading plot summaries on each of the 4 novels, then showed Greg my ideas/roughs/thumbnails for each of the four books. Each of the novels are interesting in their own way.
1) Portnoy's Complaint, by Philip Roth (published 1969)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portnoy's_Complaint

Plot:
The entire book is dialogue that a Jewish man named Alexander Portnoy is yelling to his psychotherapist. It's very sexual and vulgar, with hints of #JewishProblems. Portnoy masterbates a lot and in a lot of ways, including fucking a liver which his mother then serves for dinner.

My Ideas for the jacket:
Illustrate a liver with a whole in it on a dinner plate. Illustrate a man's face cut in half, the bottom half includes his mouth which will look like he's screaming very angrily, the top half will have his eyes and it will be an "O-Face" as if he was orgasming, include sweat on his face which could attribute to how angry he is or how hard he's cumming.

Why I would go with this book:
I want illustrate Portnoy's O-Face

2) A Handful of Dust, by Evelyn Waugh (published 1934)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Handful_Of_Dust

Plot:
A woman tried to divorce his husband for a more exciting man, the husband would lose all his money and his big estate and mansion blahblah so the husband escapes to a jungle where he is captured and forced to read Charles Dickens novels.

My Ideas for the jacket:
All I could think of was have his big mansion in a jungle and to have the mansion look tiny in the jungle. This novel was the least interesting to me.

I don't want to, this one is the least interesting to me.

3) White Noise, by Don DeLillo (published 1984)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Noise_(novel)

Plot:
A man and his wife are very anxious about death. The wife hears of a new experimental drug that alleviates the fear of death. A nationwide poisonous smog happens. The wife starts taking the drug but it has side effects such as reduced motor skills.

My Ideas for the jacket:
Illustrate a drug pill that is against a wooden wall, throwing knives are stuck in the wall around the pill (like when a circus performers throw knives at each other, symbolizes no fear of death). Illustrate a pill that is surrounded by flowers, the flowers nearest the pill are alive and healthy, further flowers are wilted (similar symbolism, the wilted flowers could be form the airborne poisonous smog).

I feel like I can relate the most to this one. I used to be overly fearful of the idea of death all the time.

4) The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler (published 1939)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Sleep

Plot:
Crime novel, private investigator Marlowe is main character and he has attitude, old guy asks Marlowe to help his young daughter who is being blackmailed, lots of stuff happens and the young daughter ends up being the source of the whole problem and she tries to shoot Marlowe but Marlowe gave her a gun with no bullets in it because HE KNEW

My Ideas for the jacket:
Illustrate a pillow with a hole in it and you can see a gun pointed at the pillow through the hole (big sleep = pillow, gun shot through pillow = no effect = empty gun shot she tried to kill him blahblah)

This one (from plot summaries standpoint), in my opinion, has the most interesting story.
He was okay with my ideas. He said he wished I would show him something more conceptual than literal. The next step in this project won't be until the start of next semester. I've decided I'm going to go with White Noise, and I'm going to read the book over christmas break, and come up with better ideas that are more conceptual since I'll have a better feel for the book having read it. So far i'm only on chapter 6, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I've laughed a few times already.

A couple of my friends in the same class think that White Noise is his favourite book, because they think they remember hearing Greg mention it in class a couple times.

books

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 04:22

Yeah teachers love that novel. It's damn good. Really funny absurd shit. The teach of Hitler Studies, and his buddy who is trying to make a class about Elvis. The son who is addicted to the radio and horrible shit. The divorce sub plot.

The big sleep is great. It's THE Crime Noir novel.
I have odd opinions about White Noise, but I can't really talk about them until you've finished.

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 22:19

I'm still reading Infinite Jest. That shit gets gross and painful.
Like this one dude really fucks up his knees while playing tennis.