It was a dark and stormy [READING THREAD]

Create every day.
Julianos
Baron of Hell

Re: It was a dark and stormy [READING THREAD]

Post by Julianos » Wed Sep 01, 2010 00:45

Tab wrote:I just got done reading Jack Kerouac's On the Road.
It is a very tiring book because everything just whips past you in a flurry of words.It also showed me the life of William S Burrows which now explains the book naked lunch a bit. Over all though the feeling of loneliness just keeps on lingering after you're done.

Also the band Hold Steady makes a bit more sense now. "Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together."

Really old thread.... But I read this book this summer
I personally think it's a great fuckin book, and it made me want to go on a road trip really badly.

Achilles
Spider Mastermind

Post by Achilles » Fri Apr 22, 2011 07:27

Metro 2033. The game's plot is much different than the book, it follows the major plot points but there is literally a hell of a lot more going on in the book. For instance Artyom never fires his gun in the book, like ever. A lot of the time he doesn't even have one. And there are a lot more stations involved too. I understand why they cut it back so much but if they made the game free roam it would have worked awesomely.

I'm also trying to get my hands on Roadside Picnic but the bastards I bought it from through Amazon haven't sent it yet.
Fasbook
Achilles wrote: You were always a cartoonist Ransom... unrealistic.

Tab
Cacodemon

Post by Tab » Sun Apr 24, 2011 18:41

Last edited by Tab on Mon Jun 13, 2011 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

Julianos
Baron of Hell

Post by Julianos » Thu Apr 28, 2011 21:57

I know, but it was kind of primal in a way, like, all they had to do was stay alive and get from point a to point b, often by freeloading and stealing and shit.

Cowardly
Spider Mastermind

Post by Cowardly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 08:11

Its very freeing.

My university has a competition where you have to get as far away from here as possible, without spending any money. People hitchiked, caught trains only to be kicked off only to get on another one etc.

Person who won? Got to india. Motherfuck.

Anyway his phone ran out of battery and he had to be rescued by the British Embassy there.

OBrocks
Spider Mastermind

Post by OBrocks » Thu May 05, 2011 01:42

tha sounds like a really fun competition

but why wouldnt he bring his phone charger
samuelmonaghan_aussie wrote:damn right im fascinated about gay sex
Gordon Frohman wrote:I, Gordon Frohman, am racist.

Cowardly
Spider Mastermind

Post by Cowardly » Thu May 05, 2011 08:17

I don't think he envisioned getting to india. He literally just took his phone and wallet (but no passport)

Aliens
Spider Mastermind

Post by Aliens » Thu Jun 06, 2013 03:00

I'm pretty late to the party but I read Albert Camus' 'The Stranger' recently.
One of the best books i've ever read.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Sat Jun 08, 2013 05:18

reading M K Hume's King Arthur. i don't really give a shit about the arthurian legend but this book is written pleasantly enough and an interesting take on what might have inspired that whole mess

Lord Ramen
Zombie Monkey

Post by Lord Ramen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 05:42

I used to have the entire Goosebumps collection.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Jun 10, 2013 02:29

you know what l. rameon you're alright

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 06:28

I started reading the "Clockwork Princess" and got bored by half way though the story.

The book is set in the Victorian era with a hand full of teenagers fighting off evil machines and a love triangle in the center.

The whole thing boiled down to a question if I cared about the characters, and I didn't. I want to think it is because that book is the third installment in a series and I needed to grow with the characters, but I suspect it is because the reader ship is supposed to be teenage girls. The dialogue was a major sticking point. The dialogue about the love triangle has a stiff and has a common feel like anime.

I did like some of the Victorian word decoration that only works in the narration. When the Victorian speech is used by the characters, it's confusing. In one part a character writes a letter that tries to be funny, but the letter doesn't snap instantly to humor because the vocabulary about dresses and actions are uncommon to the reader and uncommon within the book which makes hard to read.

I did enjoy the efforts of trying to make it an effort at the whole "fantasy of manners." To explain "fantasy of manners" it is a fantasy world where there are strict and maybe unspoken rules and actions a person must or must not do. It grows out of England strict social rules about dealing with the nature of king hood. Like you can't say "I hate the king" unless you feel like relieving your body of the weight of your head. Also it lead to sexism. There is a couple lines of "women are the less sex" and "because you are a woman you can't do this." Those insult do not full feel in the era and do not feel like they are said by characters who are products of that time. The story feel American and rough with the teenagers just saying what ever they want without any poise.

Really I wanted to know if one character who was a dying, was going to die, so I read the wiki, and that Epilogue about the love triangle was NUTS!

Ok the girl tried to marry the dying guy, but couldn't for plot reason, then the dying guy turned into an immortal monk, so the girl married the other guy. Turns out the girl was immortal and the other guy was human, and after they had been married for 50 years, he dies. She then meets back up the immortal monk dying guy who who found a cure for his disease that was killing him and is able to become human again. So the immortal girl and the dying guy hook up.

That's weird! The end.

http://shadowhunters.wikia.com/wiki/Clockwork_Princess
Hi! I like fun, and I like posting stuff, and I'm a information addict.
Quack wrote:Daylight Savings is a sale

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Fri Jul 12, 2013 00:52

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Sun Aug 25, 2013 23:46

i'm considering getting a kindle

help guys recommend some books i don't care what genre although i am very partial to cyberpunk, steampunk and fantasy. horror and thriller kinda shit isn't out the question either.

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 22:34

kob wrote:i'm considering getting a kindle

help guys recommend some books i don't care what genre although i am very partial to cyberpunk, steampunk and fantasy. horror and thriller kinda shit isn't out the question either.
The Knight by Gene Wolfe
The Wizard by Gene Wolfe
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris
Squirrel seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris (No smith this isn't what you're looking for)
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
The Hunger Pains by Harvard Lampoon