GOTY 2016

video games are fart
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

GOTY 2016

Post by kob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 21:25

apparently I've done this a few times so let's do it again. what was your GOTY last year?

honestly 2016 was pretty weak for me. I probably played less new games than in recent years, instead playing games from 2015 or before (Battlefield 4, Rainbow 6: Siege, Rocket League etc). in terms of hours played Battlefield 1 would be my GOTY, but only because of the multiplayer. I don't think it's THAT great outside of that fact. so I'd say Dark Souls 3 or DOOM would be my GOTY with Stellaris getting an honorable mention, but even then I'm not head-over-heels for those games so they're kinda my GOTY just because I didn't play a whole lot of new stuff.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Re: GOTY 2016

Post by Saladin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 21:52

I feel exactly the same way, with pretty much the same games you have listed. Dark Souls 3 might win by default but I really didn't like it that much. DOOM I bought in the sale because I heard good things about it and I liked the new Wolfenstein. Stellaris is good but not great. I've been looking hard for a game that can surpass Master of Orion 2, and I don't think any of them do even though there's tons of new 4x space games released all the time.

I'd have to go back through my Steam catalog and console games to see what else I played but, I really wasn't wowed by anything this year. I spent most of it happily playing Smash 4. The DLC has been great.

Most of my favorite 2016 games were from 2014 apparently.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 22:09

DOOM was awesome. what I liked most about it is the big middle finger it gave to the gaming industry. it's not bogged down by unnecessary story or meta elements. you know why you're playing DOOM, id knows why you're playing DOOM. it doesn't waste your time. what elements it does bring from modern gaming (i.e. progression) are a little hamfisted, but they make killing demons a lot more fun so it works out in the end. great game - it's just not the type of experience that screams GOTY to me.

I'm looking at picking up XCOM 2 because it's $12 through the humble bundle. never played an XCOM game so maybe that ends up being my GOTY. I've heard it's good despite the bugs and performance problems.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Jan 12, 2017 22:52

BioShock remastered, if that even counts.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 19:21

Doom 3
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE