The MOVIE Thread

General discussion.
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: The MOVIE Thread

Post by kob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 17:22

i looked through Lynch's filmography and i've actually never seen any of his work somehow. i checked out the pilot last night so that was my first experience with his stuff. i enjoyed it. i'm guessing i'm only scratching the surface of how weird this show is gonna get. i was also surprised at how funny it is. some of those scenes were cracking me up. i'll definitely keep watching.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 17:24

Twin Peaks is pretty funny too. It's not dark and weird the whole time.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Fri Sep 22, 2017 04:58

kob wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 17:22
i looked through Lynch's filmography and i've actually never seen any of his work somehow.
3 day ban

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Sep 23, 2017 07:05

I'm looking forward to 'The Disaster Artist' after seeing the official trailer, holy shit James Franco nails the role perfectly, I'm actually impressed since I was very skeptical about the idea when I first heard about it. Looks like a hilarious dramedy behind 'The Room'. If you haven't heard of it, just look it up on YouTube or something, 'The Room' is arguably one of the worst films ever made but is hilarious to watch because of the fact. There is a huge cult following behind it much like 'Rocky Horror Picture Show', where the crowd gets super involved, like the audience tossing a football around or throwing plastic spoons at the screen as examples. idk, just caught me off guard and should be a good watch later this year.

Otherwise, I tried to watch 'Baywatch' and made it 20 minutes in before I gave up. Who the fuck thought that was going to work exactly? It wasn't even a good one to drink and make fun of bad, yikes.

-edit-

Just watched a Netflix gem called 'Heaven Knows What', fuck me that was good but tough to watch. The main lead is a former heroin addict that lived on the streets of NYC most of her teen life and the story is based off of her personal experiences of being a homeless heroin addict. Fucking brutally raw but also quite emotionally charged as well.

Also saw 'A Ghost Story', one of the better 2017 releases so far. Thought provoking but depressing as shit story about observing life after we die.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sat Sep 30, 2017 07:03

recent screenings:

'The Bad Batch' sucked, I like the ambition behind the director and her decisions but this one didn't work for me. Watch 'A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night' instead. It's a Western/horror done pretty well and her debut film.

'Carol' was fucking brilliant, I gave it a pass during the 2015 Oscar season but nah, it's legit. Not Oscar bait which I thought it was going to be. You can watch it on Netflix now. Just wanted to share.

Otherwise, already got my ticket for 'Blade Runner: 2049' for next Friday. Super stoked and anxious about it, but best believe I'm goin' in on that review whether it be good or bad, I'll let y'all know. I really want to see 'The Florida Project' but my local theater isn't screening it, so fucking pissed about that one. It's a really limited release (supposed to come out on Oct. 5th) so wtf. It got HUGE acclaim during the festival circuit so I'm excited to check it out. The trailer was pure kino.

That's all I got for this week. Just watched 'Spring Breakers' again for like the 40th time, holy fuck I love that film so much. I wish I could invent a drug to distribute to the world of how I feel when I watch it. TOTAL BODY AND MIND EUPHORIA!

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 20:50

Just saw that Netflix movie, Gerald's Game. It was a little campy and melodramatic, but it's pretty creepy and disturbing. Not a bad start to Halloween month. Looking to binge lots of horror games and movies this month.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sun Oct 08, 2017 07:27

I kinda want to check that out, heard some mixed feelings on it but that always makes me more intrigued these days.

'Blade Runner 2049' was pretty good actually, I didn't "love" it but it definitely was a worthy sequel. Visually breathtaking but the story lacked a lot of clarity towards the end which is what keeps it from being great IMO. As a cyberpunk film though, it's fucking awesome in that regard as far as atmosphere.

Rewatched 'The Silence of the Lambs' this evening, damn, I forgot how amazing that film was. Not really a "horror" film per se but I think it's a good October screening due to the chilling nature of the tone.

Otherwise, still trying to find a theater out here that will screen 'The Florida Project' and looking forward to 'The Disaster Artist' and 'Lady Bird' down the line as far as 2017 goes. This year has had a lot of ups and downs so far to say the least.

random side note, tied my record from last year! 89 films watched so far. The single life or something I guess.

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Sun Oct 15, 2017 05:27

I watched 'Gerald's Game' today, not bad. I was digging it until the last ten minutes and idk, did I miss something there? What the hell was that epilogue all about? Also, ugh, that "hand" scene. Fuck...

Also watched 'Ex Machina' again and I swear I love that film more and more every time I watch it, it's a legit sci-fi thriller and I wish we got more of those.

Otherwise, kind of curious about a film called 'Ingrid Goes West' which I also cannot find playing anywhere around where I live. Supposed to be a dark comedy about social media starring Aubrey Plaza. I know she's a one-note actress but the premise just seems like it would be so much fun to watch.

So, as far as 2017, I'm currently standing on 'Baby Driver' and BR2049 as my top picks.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Mon Oct 16, 2017 01:03

youdiedtooeasily wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 07:27
Rewatched 'The Silence of the Lambs' this evening, damn, I forgot how amazing that film was. Not really a "horror" film per se but I think it's a good October screening due to the chilling nature of the tone.
It's still my one of my favorite comedy films.
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

Saladin
Spider Mastermind

Post by Saladin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 07:39

Just saw Blade Runner 2049. Had a similar opinion to you ydte. It was pretty good, bit definitely short of great. There were parts of it that were legitimately phenomenal, and some of the gut punching twists and individual scenes had incredible visual metaphors and were just excellent film making. But there were also parts that were borderline cringe inducing, it felt like Sony meddled here and there, particularly with dumb product placement crap.

The movie had a really strong premise, and a lot of interesting new ideas. But, like you said, it sort of ran out of things to say towards the end, it never forms a real conclusion. It just kinda, stops. I was bothered by how badly it leaned on the original, but those scenes were pretty good so it was partially forgivable. But it ended up muddling the film's voice. Can't say much more without spoilers but, all the new stuff was *way* more interesting than what they ended up doing.

Overall, it's worth seeing, and it is a good sequel. In most ways, it's a better *film* than the original. Much more compelling, even with the nostalgia callbacks and other annoying modern trends. The visuals are incredible too. But it has less to *say* than the original does. The first hour or so I was ready to accept it as superior entirely. But then, it sorta fizzles out.