The MOVIE Thread

General discussion.
kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Re: The MOVIE Thread

Post by kob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 02:10

started The Wire again, about halfway through season 2, and i'm loving it. i had watched the first season and a few episodes of the second season before but for whatever reason wasn't interested in the longshoreman storyline and stopped, but this time around it's fantastic. i'm actually liking it more than the first season. the writing and pacing are excellent. i love that the plot is handled with delicacy. no bullshit exposition dumps. so far it hasn't had that many high drama moments, but i guess that's not really what the show is about? seems more like it's focused on characters and man they're wonderful. great stuff.

edit: ok nvm i lied about the drama. goddamnnnnn

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Thu Apr 05, 2018 06:22

Right on, glad you gave 'The Wire' a second chance. My first viewing of season 2 was a bit rough from what I remember since 2 really does stand out from all the other seasons. I think if you got rid of Ziggy it would be near perfect but luckily, he's not a huge character, I found the story of Frank to be tragically cruel as you can see the societal collapse of Baltimore and the blue-collar citizens in front of your very eyes, also lold how McNulty gets the marine unit assignment. The show is more of a character study guided by McNulty and the bullshit politics from the street corner all the way to the Mayor’s office of Baltimore. A lot of characters/case files are based off real people in the department, many of the actors were Baltimore residents that volunteered to be in the show, so it has the visceral authenticity to it that I’ve never really found from other shows. (apparently Bunk is a real-life cigar chomping detective that drinks like a fish and Omar was based off an actual shotgun toting thief that ripped off drug dealers)

As for the drama, it takes a little while to get going (mainly due to such a huge cast) but once you get to the end of season 4 you’ll question humankind. A lot of the show reminded me of military life with all the interpersonal office relationships and politics that is very real and something I’ve experienced frequently towards the end of my 4-year stint. Got any favorite characters? I seemed to like Lester, Carver and Slim Charles the most. When you meet them, Marlo and Snoop are no good walking nightmares of people.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 22:20

yeah ziggy was the weakest part of season 2 but he didn't drag it down at all for me. season was excellent all throughout. and that ending wew lad.

i'd say my favorites are Bunk and McNulty. they're hilarious together.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Mon May 21, 2018 22:39

finished The Wire. couldn't ask for a better ending. there's no doubt in my mind it's the best written show i've ever seen. they handled such a complex multitude of interweaving plotlines brilliantly throughout every season. all 60 episodes felt justified - never felt like the show was overstaying its welcome. it never hit the dramatic heights of some of my other favorite shows, but it made up for that in its characters, plotting, authenticity and social commentary.

i'd rank the seasons 2 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 1, but they were all great.

Saladin
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: PS4 PS3 Wii Wii-U PC

Post by Saladin » Tue May 22, 2018 05:21

Damn, I'll have to check it out. Seems everyone recommends it.

Only new thing I've seen recently is A Quiet Place. Which was alright. Fun concept, decent execution, but not much to it.
Quack wrote:ok but so now what do I do besides masturbate

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Tue May 22, 2018 19:55

all the seasons are available on Amazon Prime if you have it. it definitely deserves a spot up there with Breaking Bad, early seasons of GoT etc for best TV show of all time. it's both impressive and depressing that its themes are still relevant today and probably will be for a long time. and man it's almost scary how authentic and real it feels. feels like a documentary.

i think i'll start Westworld next. been hearing good things.

Mr. Smith
Spider Mastermind
Consoles: 360, PC, Apple Faggot Machine

Post by Mr. Smith » Wed May 23, 2018 14:33

Anyone excited for Johnny English 3?
OBrocks wrote:i need to know if ill actually be getting a penis pump in the mail so i can prepare an explanation for my parents
Saladin wrote:I do not want to play two truths and a lie with Smith.
Quack wrote:PF BATTLE ROYALE 2015: EVERYONE DRAWS SALADIN LICKING HIS OWN BUTTHOLE

youdiedtooeasily
Baron of Hell
Consoles: PC, PS3

Post by youdiedtooeasily » Wed May 23, 2018 19:30

good to hear you finished 'The Wire', it's still my favorite show to this date for many of the reasons you mentioned. I thought season 4 hit me the hardest since it felt a little all too real at moments, but that's why I found it powerful I suppose. The ending is damn near perfect, what a great summary of the situation in Baltimore and sendoff for each character. I haven't found a series quite on the same level since. Refn has a show coming out next year titled 'Too Old to Die Young' and that's the only show I have on my radar right now, the teaser looked awesome.

as for 2018 film releases, welp, not much to offer at this time in the year. Cannes just wrapped up so curious to check out the big winners from across the pond when they debut out here. So far I really enjoyed 'Isle of Dogs' (Wes Anderson film, you'll love it or hate it on that premise alone) and thought 'Annihilation' was really interesting. 'Lean on Pete' is a wonderful character study but it's definitely geared for the arthouse crowd so it's not easy to rec. Can't say I enjoyed much of anything else so far at this point, although 'Game Night' was pleasantly surprising, nothing special but a good one to drink to with a group when it comes out on Redbox. (I accidentally missed the festival circuit out here, so fucking mad about that)

as for upcoming releases, I have my eye on: 'Hereditary', 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties', 'Eighth Grade', 'Prospect', 'Thoroughbreds', 'Wildlife' and 'The Son'.

revisited '2001: A Space Odyssey' and 'Amadeus' recently and holy shit talk about undeniable masterpieces. it baffles me how these filmmakers were so limited in production yet achieved more than 98% of directors working today. as for more contemporary works, 'Synecdoche, New York' is another one I'd highly recommend, it's my second favorite film of all time behind 'Mulholland Drive'.