It was a dark and stormy [READING THREAD]

Create every day.
Ransom
CyberDemon

Re: It was a dark and stormy [READING THREAD]

Post by Ransom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 06:20

I'll second Gene Wolfe. I've only read his The Shadow of the Torturer so far but it was fantastic. Quiet, human, and wonderfully eerie.

Also: Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes is an excellent dark fairy tale. Picked it up one afternoon and couldn't stop reading until I'd finished. Michael Marshall Smith's The Servants is another good one along those lines.

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 19:06

For cyber punk, have you read Snow Crash or Nuromancer? Those are well know.
Last edited by Jon0101 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I like fun, and I like posting stuff, and I'm a information addict.
Quack wrote:Daylight Savings is a sale

kob
CyberDemon
Consoles: PS3 - PC

Post by kob » Tue Aug 27, 2013 20:05

no i have not i will look into them

thanks guys i think i'm gonna get a kindle. what is the best one to get. i don't care about the Fire.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 02:32

Paperwhite without question. The screen has the best resolution and contrast of any current ereader, and the lighting solution is surprisingly meaningful—I expected to leave it off most of the time, but it's actually great for subtly evening out the screen in normal light situations.

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 04:37

In other news, I bought and within two years broke a nook.

I made a small crack in the top mid of the nook, but it still work. Then I got a big hard crack in the right center, and the page I was on became the the page the nook was stuck on. It was done. I tossed it out. A case would have been cool, but I had buyers remorse after a month.

I had so many issues with formatting and dealing with file types. I read a book where I had to convert it, and the page number and a website for the converter kept showing up between the text, like not in the position at the bottom of the page. I mean that page number and website were mid text. A pdf picture was hard to read because nothing scaled right. I read fiction like a text book, and I need to search for things quickly. It is noticeably slow when compared to a computer. Worse yet is when I work for 30 minutes on a file that the nook wouldn't read.

Those things should be able to read HTML files. That all Epubs are. Epubs are just html files in a zip file. Well it has gotten a bit better, but as long as PDFs are king, fuck it. Get a tablet. Get a laptop. Hell, buy a laser printer and print it out your self.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02

very little in the above post is useful or accurate

A note on breaking the thing: I've owned three separate Kindles and never broke one, but a friend of mine destroyed his by dropping it. He got in touch with Amazon support and they shipped a replacement within a week. If it's under warranty they'll usually do it for free.

If you want to read PDFs, get a tablet. But if you want to read novels, there is no good reason to use PDFs. PDFs are great for textbooks, magazines and comics—anything image-heavy or with a complex page structure—but terrible for novels because their formatting is completely locked down. Their advantages have very little overlap with those of ereader formats, and if you use your ereader as a PDF reader you're sacrificing most of their UX features. Not to mention the fact that most novels aren't even available in PDF format, making your entire statement a non-issue.

The entire point of these things is to create a satisfying digital equivalent to the reading experience of paperbacks. If you're willing to toss that out so you can read a format they weren't designed to use, the problem isn't the device.

Also Amazon has a bunch of conversion features available for HTML, PDF and DOC files among others (although in my years of reading on a Kindle I have never needed to use it). I don't know if Barnes & Noble offer a similar service, though.

P.S. Nobody wants or should have to read long documents on a laptop and they certainly shouldn't waste paper like an 80 year old who doesn't know what technology is for.

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 15:30

Sorry, I should have said, I am bad with things and all my stuff breaks.

Yeah you're right. The problem is me. I thought I wanted something that works like a paper back. And it turns out I didn't.

And all that shit I went though is what I get for trying to get book off the internet or trying to copy and paste text from an html page to read on the go. Or make a shopping list in a .txt file which it doesn't read. I tried to do things other than read a fiction book from cover to cover and got reprimanded for it.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 16:48

???? man, you only get books off the internet with an ereader.

But yeah, shopping lists and user content are what smartphones are for. It's not a notepad. Readers fill a very specific niche, and that is making digital books feel nice to read.

If you've got a smartphone or a tablet, get Readability for whatever OS it uses. Awesome I'll-read-this-later app.

Jon0101
Mancubus

Post by Jon0101 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 22:37

Oh cool I'll try out readability when I get a tablet or smart phone.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Thu Aug 29, 2013 20:59

KINDLE BOUGHT

i kinda felt bad for the guy at staples who got it from the back room/checked me out. i worked at staples for like 3 months and you're pushed to sell electronics and get the customer to buy accessories and/or a warranty because the company gets almost no money from actual sales. not to mention you're graded on how much you sell per month and you could lose your job if you don't tack on those plans/accessories. so when i told him i didn't want one he pretty much lost all interest in me.

kob
CyberDemon

Post by kob » Fri Aug 30, 2013 01:50

i got something wicked this way comes. i will probably pick up neuromancer after i finish it

Achilles
Spider Mastermind

Post by Achilles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 04:44

Guys

Guys

I'm looking for a cool space noir, or a space pirate book. Any ideas?
Fasbook
Achilles wrote: You were always a cartoonist Ransom... unrealistic.

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 08:38

alastair reynolds' chasm city is the noiriest space noir

Quack
Baron of Hell
Consoles: I play Nintendo 64 games on my Nintendo Wii using Nintendo GameCube controllers.

Post by Quack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 18:31

Really Ransom (and Achilles)
"Space Noir"
You literally are that person

Ransom
CyberDemon

Post by Ransom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 23:04

ain't nothing wrong with a little science fiction in my noir